New Triathletes

Options
Anyone else training for their first triathlon (any kind)? Looking for others to follow a tri training schedule for beginner triathletes. I'm doing a sprint triathlon this May. :)

Replies

• kaynagel
    kaynagel Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I'm still a newbe triathlete. I did my first in 2013. I'm planning for a May triathlon. Feel free to add me.
  • cguerra1217
    Options
    That is awesome! Any sites you recommend that have great training schedules for beginners?
  • getgemma
    getgemma Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm planning on ramping up to a tri, possibly towards the end of the year. I have about 4 proposed duathlons in my diary as I have been working on running consistently since May 2013. I enjoy being on a bike too. I'm going to add in pool swimming in the next month or two.
    I found these two sites for beginners which ave advice and simple training plans:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/mobile/Forums.html
    Still relevant - US based.

http://www.trigirl.co.uk/beginners/a-beginners-guide/
    UK based

When are you aiming to compete?
    G
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone.

Not a beginner triathlete here but I was once.

The websites mentioned are very useful for starting out.

Tritalk.co.uk is very good for info once you wade through all the waffle. Plus they have a sticky thread in the events section of links to people race reports that makes for some fantastic reading especially a guy called Big Ted's epic Deca Ironman report!(1 ironman every day for 10 days!)

Slowtwitch.com is also very good for info including a female specific section. This is a bit more hardcore though so could seem a bit daunting for first timers.

Feel free to add me if you so wish. I'm happy to part with the little knowledge I have.
  • cguerra1217
    Options
    Hi getgemma,

Congrats on your 23 lb weight loss thus far! How awesome. Very inspiring to me. :) Thank you for including those sites. Will definitely check those out.

My sprint tri is in May so I have been just taking baby steps with my training. I have been swimming, cycling at running but very short distances. I just got back from vaca so trying to get back in the swing of things.

I'm definitely liking it so far. :)

Chrissy
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    It's my fitness goal for 2014!
  • cguerra1217
    Options
    Hi chunkytfg,

That is awesome! Thank you for these sites too. Will review those. :)

How many tri's have you done? I'm looking forward to just completing this baby tri, haha. Maybe one day I can move on to the bigger tri's.

Chrissy
  • cguerra1217
    Options
    Hi WDEvy,

63 lbs lost! Flippin' awesome!!!!!!! That is great that you are doing a tri this year. When is the big day? :)

Chrissy
  • kaynagel
    kaynagel Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I used the Iron Girl 12 week training plan. I found it on-line when I signed up for the Iron Girl sprint tri in Pleasant Prairie WI. As I was riding my biking this am, I was thinking that I didn't need to start until February for a May Tri. Right now I'm building strength and working on technique. My goal this year is to be faster on the bike. It is humbling to come off the bike route last (that was the Olympic distance). But I have lots of great stories.
  • cguerra1217
    Options
    Hi Kaynagel,

Thank you for the recommendation! Sounds like you have a great plan! :)

Chrissy
  • crash_aly
    crash_aly Posts: 112
    Options
    A sprint triathalon (my first) is my 2014 fitness goal. I have so much to learn as the most I have ever done is a 5k run and I was never much of a biker even as a child so that will be my focus.

The one I am planning to do is at the end of July!

Thanks for creating this post!
  • cguerra1217
    Options
    Hi Crash_aly! Oh that is wonderful that you are preparing for your first tri like me! Yahoo!!! :) Yeah I didn't some biking in college but that was merely to get to class. I think my weakest event is swimming so I know I have to work hard at that. Best of luck with your training. :)
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Hi All!

It's my second year of Triathlon (Sprint), and I already have 3 lined up for this summer. I went gaa gaa for it. Most fun I've had for a long time. It's really great to have a reason to be fit and slim other than hotness! Fitness! It's a better goal.

Up for Tri friends!
    Welcome..
  • cguerra1217
    Options
    Hi Springfield19! Second year! Amazing! Yes, I'm starting to get the tri bug too. Hehe! So nice to meet you! -Chrissy
  • GenoPrice
    GenoPrice Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I am training for my first Tri (for 7 years) in April. I have a couple of Duathlons and HM in between that so have been concentrating on my running and cycling a bit more than the swimming.

The training has been tough but beneficial because along with the diet I have managed to lose 60lbs.

Anyone feel free to add me, could do with some more motivational friends - Especially to get me in the pool/sea to train.