Grilled Chicken

Options
I plan on making grilled chicken with fresh broccoli... but honestly I'm not sure what my other side should be. Do you have any suggessions? Also, how do you make your grilled chicken besides ofcourse grilling, do you add any seasonings or a rub or sauce? Thanks y'all!

Replies

• NewTnme
    NewTnme Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I love cumin on my chicken.
  • errorist
    errorist Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    For the side - how about a little cous cous, or quinoa, or even some baked sweet potato? I normally marinade my chicken with whatever I have open in the fridge. Currently there's a Yellow Thai Paste, some Nandos hot sauce and a Jerk paste. Whatever floats your boat!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I bake my chicken breast in the oven - I rub spices on it first, it depends on what I grab out of the pantry! Usually it's paprika, cumin, chili, coriander, garlic powder, onion powder, dried herbs.

I'd make a sauce to have with your meal or it'll be a bit dry - perhaps something with nut butter for some fat? I've made dressing with almond butter, lemon juice and zest, fresh parsley all whizzed together in the food processor (with water to create the right consistency). It went nicely on green beans and fish, so I'm sure it'd be nice with your chicken and broccoli :) what about also roasting some sweet potato chunks, or mash?
  • gypsyone96
    gypsyone96 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I bake my chicken breasts covered in paprika, cayenne pepper powder, regular pepper, and thyme! They're amazing!
  • Joannesmith2818
    Joannesmith2818 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I normally do a small portion of rice. And I spice my chicken with a small amount of Cajun!
  • laceandbits
    Options
    Grilling chicken can dry it, unless you are leaving the skin on. If you are, there's no need to season at all as of course you won't be eating the skin anyway. If you are grilling it without then you'll need to add a little oil with perhaps some herbs or spices mixed in.

I usually wrap mine in foil and cook it in the oven. To this package you can add some finely sliced onion, peppers, mushrooms and it will make some juice and stay moist. A slice of lime on top of the chicken is good too. 180 - 200°C (375 - 400°F?) for about 40 minutes for a breast. And because you don't have to keep watching and turning it you can get on with prepping and cooking the veg, or doing something more exciting instead.

For the sides broccoli or any other brassica? any sort of green bean? mange tout or sugar snap peas? And of course you'll have the veggies from the parcels if you cook the chicken that way.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    we generally grill - it's ALWAYS grilling weather! But I have recipes coming out my ears for different rubs, sauces, etc. Our hands-down favorite is Honey Spice Chicken, even my ultra picky teenager likes it - the original recipe calls for thighs and sometimes I do use boneless, skinless thighs but it works pretty well with b/s breast as well. I included the general recipe, so you can enter it in your own recipe builder and play around with serving sizes & whatever else you want. I have it fine-tuned to how much honey actually gets used vs how much is left over/unused and broke it down to calories per ounce and it's about 44 per ounce when I use boneless breast meat. That's not half bad!

Spicy Honey Chicken

Ingredients:

1.5 pounds boneless, skinless chicken (breast or thigh)
    Rub:
    2 tsp granulated garlic OR 1 tsp garlic powder
    2 tsp chili powder
    ½ tsp onion powder
    ½ tsp coriander
    1 tsp kosher salt
    1 tsp cumin
    ½ tsp chipotle chili powder
    Glaze:
    ½ cup honey
    1 Tbsp cider vinegar

Instructions:

1) combine rub spices in a bowl and mix well.
    2) Using kitchen shears, trim off any excess fat from the chicken pieces. Coat the chicken with the spice rub, covering all sides. Use your hands and get it in there!
    3) Grill chicken, 3-5 minutes per side (more or less depending on your choice of meat), until cooked through.
    4) While chicken is cooking, warm the honey in microwave so it’s not as thick, 30 seconds or so. Mix in cider vinegar, combine well. Reserve 2 Tbsp of the honey mixture to pour on cooked chicken right before serving.
    5) I’m gonna warn you, this can make a hot mess, literally. It’s honey and it IS going to drip. But the smelly smoke is worth it for a minute or two, just leave your grill on for a few minutes after cooking to burn off the extra glaze. It’s totally, completely worth it once you taste this stuff!!

Originaly found recipe @ OurBestBites.com
    http://www.the-girl-who-ate-everything.com/2010/05/girl-who-didn’t-eat-everything.html