So lost

Options
I am not really sure where to start. There are so many challenges on here that i seem to just miss or they have way to many people and I just don't understand them. I am in such a funk. I start a few days maybe a week and then completely fall off the wagon. I have zero idea what I am doing when I go to the gym. I have thought that maybe I should write down my weight my goal and my mini goals or something to help me stay motivated. Or maybe I need some way to visually see my progress. I have even thought of making a motivational board in my room w/ my goals, progress and pics that motivate me.

I need some feedback. What keeps you motivated? How do you stay eating healthy when its so easy not to? What pushes you to go the gym when you just want to plop down on the couch?

Replies

• Rjperron
    Rjperron Posts: 150
    Options
    I feel this same way sometimes, especially about doing it two or three days a week then falling off.

Honestly, so far this site has helped worlds in terms of keeping me motivated, because it's so easy to keep track of and the site community is so supportive. I also plan out my workouts and food beforehand because I feel guilty if I don't do it and everyone sees!

As far as not knowing what to do when you get to the gym, I recommend treating (yes, treating) yourself to a few sessions with a trainer or starting with gym classes like Zumba, yoga, spinning or Boot Camp. You can learn so much from a great instructor.

Finally, I made a list of rewards that have nothing to do with falling off the wagon: new pjs, clothes, a massage, bath products, anything that you like (my boyfriend thought this was cute, lol). Even looking at the list makes me feel motivated. I plan on treating myself to one thing on the list every 5-10 lbs, and maybe a vacation at my goal weight!
  • SyreetaJayne1
    Options
    what pushed me over the edge was not being able to walk a half mile without getting winded and being in pain. that's when i realized that i'm worth more than what i was giving myself. that to be at my optimal operating condition, i needed to value myself enough to want to take care of myself. that's when i cleaned up (food, exercise, water intake, etc). I had to realize that i have only one body and i'd better take care of it if i wanted it to last, and that meant not putting crap into it and giving it the workout it needs to function properly. If i hadn't seen the weight loss (which i have), it was worth it to change just to see how much more energy i have and how much better i feel from eating better. it's so worth it! but you have to know you're worth taking care of. that's what motivates me. (my goal outfit helps too LOL!)
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    These are what have been working for me

Affirmations to the mirror at least twice a day (state I am happy, healthy, my desired weight and that I am motivated to exercise and eat healthy)

Drink lots of water and eat what I want - no special diet, can't stick to it. But really downsize the portions (eg. 1 cookie not 3, small helpings of potatoes, 1/2 slice bread, that kind of thing) After a while you just aren't as hungry

Walk, walk walk in addition to gym. I do the eliptical there and a few free weights several times a week (small lbs, lots of reps - mostly for my arms) Also stomach crunches etc. in front of tv at night

I shoot for the gym or treadmill in the morning or lunch,lonh brisk walks on the weekend (have to switch to treadmill in the winter)

lost 30 lbs since May
  • megsta21
    megsta21 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Hello!!

We all fall off one day or another but its getting back up / on that counts the most... One bad day wont ruin all your hard work... :smooched:

First of all I would suggest getting 1-3 sessions with a personal trainer and get them to show you what to do...:love:

I love classes... i do Zumba mainly... its sooo much fun and doesnt feel like a workout!!! :drinker:

I try to take updated photos of myself monthly as well as measurements and weight.. :blushing: Seeing the difference and feeling the difference motivates me...

Maybe try and get someone to "buddy up" with... be it a family member, friend, or a MFP person.... :flowerforyou: That way you can motivate eachother.

Also i dont do the challenges... i always forget... hahahha so dont stress if you dont do that. :love: Just make a few friends on here and log in daily... the rest will come... :happy:
  • elloradannon
    Options
    I keep a weekly exercise schedule posted on the refrigerator for my husband and I both. AM and PM of every day of the week, very specific. This really helps me stay on track with exercising because I know that if I workout on these days, then I have these ones off. As far as exercising, I think the trick is to find something that you really enjoy and do that the most. For me, I HATE doing strength training but I know that it's essential, so I make myself do it. The majority of the time, however, I take group classes or jog because that's what I enjoy. Good luck! It will just take some getting used to.
  • 6Janelle13
    6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    for my birthday this year my husband made me buy a jacket that i loved in a size that was too small to wear. he refused to keep buying the next size up for me. now that jacket is too BIG. find something to motive you. maybe that pair of jeans or a dress you hope you can wear at your rehersal dinner and keep marching towards it. find one good work out plan/dvd and don't let yourself not do it. I am in a funk right now after my inital progress but i just ordered jeans in the size i'd be happy with (but hope to be even smaller then that one day) to keep pushing myself. hopefully it works out
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Definitely start with a HEALTHY goal weight, then break it down in to realistic mini goals. Assign non-food rewards for each mini goal.
    At the gym, just go to whatever catches your interest. It's not very hard to start peddling an elliptical, bike, or get walking on a treadmill or track. If the gym has a weight room, the machines should have descriptions of how to use them. That's how I learned :)
  • Nattiejean57
    Nattiejean57 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    You guys have some great tips! i really appreciate it. I am one of those people who is such a scatter brain. I think I need a notebook to just write everything down in, goals, my plan and all that so i can see it and stick to it....but I will probably loose the notebook. I really appreciate all the feedback!
  • joe21000
    joe21000 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Personally, I have no stated long term goals. I concentrate on staying clean for "hours" or a day at the most and that seems to help. I do NOT go to the gym - the gym is one big hassle and there are too many people looking at me there. I walk, I jog and I push dumbbells at home. VERY simple, very easy, very private, very inexpensive. The gym is a set up for excuses.....can't go because...bla bla bla

There are, however, no shortcuts and yes, you have to exercise will power. People that say you don't need will power are bull****ting. You have to be an adult and exercise control sometimes and say NO.

Planning is the key - but simple planning.

I make daily promises to myself and my only rule is "I don't break the promise". I spend a little time on the weekends planning / writing my exercise INTO my calendar for the week ( I have 3 kids and a stressful job - I am busy) I do simple food planning - I bring cold cuts to work and have nice sandwiches for lunch and may be a yogurt or a cottage cheese. I have fruit or light cereal for breakfast and hang on until lunch without snacking in between. (control......will power). I do my planned exercise at night (sometime late when the kids are "done") and I eat a "normal" dinner with human size portions and no bread.
    Lastly, I weight myself every day to keep myself in check and I use this website a lot. If I have a bad day, I move on and I don't cry about it.
    Hope that helps - good luck
    Joe
  • CarolALeBrun
    CarolALeBrun Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I was kind of all over the place a month ago once I started with my trainer and not really recording what I was eating so I was not losing weight. After finding MFP I am diligent about recording my food and am conscious about what I want to spend my 1200 calories on since that is all I should eat to lose the 1.5-2 lbs a week I am trying. The more I exercise, then I could increase the calorie intake but finding that I am registering everything, it really keeps me going. Don't be so hard on yourself, do a little bit each day and if you do any kind of exercise that is out of the norm for your regular day, ie going up more stairs than usual, or really scrubbing a dirty floor, record it. You will find it motivating to find more ways to cut out the crap and increase the exercise. In a little more than a week I am down 5 lbs - while not a great deal, I know with the weights I am pushing, that some of that is increasing muscle weight so I know I am benefiting on all sides. Keep focussed and keep logging in several times a day if you can to track every little thing. Carol
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    A notebook is a good idea-they are great motivators and bonus- it's always fun to look back at those as you get closer to your goal

I'm part of a group that does a monthly challenge- we are big and it is confusing cuz so many of us have started posting (Kickin *kitten* in our 20's)- but basically we set monthly goals some weight goals some non weight related. About halfway through the month we often refresh our goals just to really push ourselves.

But most people set mini goals. The total amount you want to lose feels so overwhelming. Well start with trying to lose 3 lbs by the end of november. Then start a new goal at the beginning of each month- I usually aim for 5. The last two months I've managed 7, so it's been not only great to lose but also to exceed my goals. And incorporate other goals that aren't about the scale.

Also I keep track of everything- I have a whiteboard to keep up with workouts (I've been running and just generally trying to run farther each week). I love the planning- I even have an excel file that keeps track of the "If every day were like today in 5 weeks you'd weigh..." number.
  • briblue72
    briblue72 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I've been on MFP for a almost 3 years now. I used it faithfully and seriously and lost nearly 60 lbs in 10 months. When I quit taking it seriously, the pounds started creeping on... and now I've gained back about 15 lbs in the last year.

As for the challenges and groups that have been created, I agree - there's too many to keep up with. I generally don't keep up with the message boards, and rarely comment anymore.

Just like quitting smoking or drinking, you have to do this for YOU. If you're here to please someone else, it won't happen. Here's what works: log every bite of food that goes into you mouth, be honest about the exercise you do (a trip to the mall does not count as a walk), and don't be afraid to eat your favorite foods - just make sure you've 'earned them' through exercise FIRST.

Keep coming back, day after day, and log all of your food and exercise. You will see results. It's all about being honest with yourself. Good luck!
  • suzukigrl
    Options
    I am not really sure where to start. There are so many challenges on here that i seem to just miss or they have way to many people and I just don't understand them. I am in such a funk. I start a few days maybe a week and then completely fall off the wagon. I have zero idea what I am doing when I go to the gym. I have thought that maybe I should write down my weight my goal and my mini goals or something to help me stay motivated. Or maybe I need some way to visually see my progress. I have even thought of making a motivational board in my room w/ my goals, progress and pics that motivate me.

I need some feedback. What keeps you motivated? How do you stay eating healthy when its so easy not to? What pushes you to go the gym when you just want to plop down on the couch?
    you can get help at the gym. just get someone to show you how to use the machines. you can write down the sets, reps and weight settings if you need to. the more you go, the more you'll feel you belong there. right now, you just feel out of place. go to the gym. own it. as for eating healthy, no one's perfect. just try to do well most of the time. log it down, good or bad. it helps you to see your weaknesses, patterns you've established. you could find a work out partner but to tell you the truth, you're the only one you can really count on so get used to going alone. if someone else tags along, great! the trick is, i think, to moderate your moderation. don't try to give up everything at once. it's too traumatic. work your favorites into your calorie count. you don't have to live on lettuce and soy. lol. good luck.