Quinoa!

Options
MamaDinger
MamaDinger Posts: 17 Member
Haven't tried it yet, but am going to! Anyone have any favorite recipes for it? I found a few on Pinterest I'm going to try (if they turn out well, I'll share!).

Replies

• NualaTW
    NualaTW Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I really like Quinoa. One of my fave go-to recipes for a full meal:

Quinoa & Black Bean Chili

1/2 cup dry quinoa
    1 cup vegetable broth (or chicken stock)
    1.5 tsp olive oil
    1/2 med onion chopped
    2 cloves minced garlic
    1.5 tsp chili powder
    1.5 tsp ground cumin
    1 14.5oz can no-salt added diced tomatoes
    1 14.5oz can low-sodium black beans (rinsed/drained)
    1/2 med green bell pepper diced
    1/2 med red bell pepper diced
    1 small diced zucchini
    1/2 seeded/chopped jalapeno pepper
    1/2 tsp oregano
    1/2 tsp sea salt
    1/2 tsp ground black pepper
    1/2 cup frozen corn kernals (you can leave off if you do not eat corn)

Prepare quinoa with veggie broth or water according to instructions (then set aside). Saute onion in olive oil until transparent (about 5 mins), then add chili powder, cumin and garlic. Continue to saute for 1 min until flavors release. Add can of tomatoes and black beans and all other ingredients (except corn). Bring to steady simmer on high, then turn down to medium, cover and simmer for 20 mins. You may want to add some more broth or water if more liquid needed to simmer properly.

After 20 mins, add quinoa and corn (if using). Continue cooking for 5 mins to warm up corn and quinoa.

This makes 3 large servings: 339 cal, 60g carb, 5g fat, 15g protein, 15g fiber
  • skendrick0601
    skendrick0601 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Bump! Sounds Delish:smile::smile:
  • horses1jessi
    horses1jessi Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Just came across this today, plan on making it for next weeks lunches

Mediterranean Quinoa Salad
    Servings: 6 • Size: 1 generous cup • Old Points: 3 • Weight Watcher Points+: 5 pt
    Calories: 145.5 • Fat: 8 g • Carb: 15.5 g • Fiber: 2.5 g • Protein: 4.3 g • Sugar: 0 g
    Sodium: 137 mg (without the
    Click to deleteIngredients:

•1 cup uncooked quinoa
    •2 cups water
    •1/4 cup red onion, diced
    •1/2 - 3/4 lemon, squeezed
    •1/4 cup (about 10) kalamata olives, pitted and sliced
    •2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    •2 cups cucumber, peeled and diced (from 1 English)
    •1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
    •1/3 cup crumbled feta
    •salt and fresh pepper, to taste

Directions:
    Rinse quinoa for about 2 minutes, using your hands to make sure all the saponins are removed.
    Fill a medium pot with water, add quinoa and salt to taste and bring to a boil. When the water boils, reduce heat to low and cover; simmer covered 15 minutes. Remove from heat and keep covered an additional 5 minutes without lifting the lid; then fluff with a fork and set aside in a large mixing bowl to cool. While the quinoa cools, dice all the vegetables. Add the red onion, olives, cucumber, tomatoes to the cooled quinoa, and squeeze 1/2 lemon over it. Drizzle the olive oil over the quinoa, then add feta, salt and pepper to taste and toss well. Taste for salt and adjust as needed, add more lemon juice if needed.
  • MamaDinger
    MamaDinger Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I can't WAIT to try these recipes, both sound so good!
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    There was a post just like this a few days ago, you use the search function at the top to find it!
    But here are some of my favs:
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/quinoa-and-black-beans/
    http://www.cookingquinoa.net/mediterranean-chickpea-salad (this site has a TON)
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/spiced-quinoa/ (I add frozen peas)
  • Candy1629
    Candy1629 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    bump :smile:
  • crazycatladycali
    crazycatladycali Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    These recipes look AWESOME!
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Lately, I've been using quinoa instead of oatmeal. I microwave 1/4 cup quinoa + 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk + 1/2 tsp. cinnamon on 70% power for 6 min. Then I stir in 1/2 tbsp. almond butter + 1 sliced banana.
  • jillymurdoch
    jillymurdoch Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I spend the money to buy Bobs Red Mill organic, only because I find I don't need to rinse it. I second the greek salad variation - I have been eating it almost daily! Sometimes on a bed of romaine for some extra roughage.

Also try googling some quinoa salad recipes with cranberries. My second favourite is one made with cranberries, lime and a wee bit of curry powder.
  • LynseyH1981
    Options
    Lately, I've been using quinoa instead of oatmeal. I microwave 1/4 cup quinoa + 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk + 1/2 tsp. cinnamon on 70% power for 6 min. Then I stir in 1/2 tbsp. almond butter + 1 sliced banana.

Me too, me too! I make a big batch as it keeps really well (the rules of rice do not apply!) and portions can be re-heated later in the week.

Banana Nut Breakfast Quinoa (serves 4-6)

1 cup quinoa
    2 cups almond milk (regular milks works too)
    1 cup protein shake (or a 3rd cup of milk if you prefer)
    1 cup of water
    2 bananas, chopped
    2 tbsp almond butter (other smooth nut butters also fine)
    2 tbsp of milled flaxseed (optional, but it's good for you and they're undetectable in this)

Mix up the quinoa, flaxseed and liquids in a pot on the stove until well combined and heat on medium-low until simmering. Turn the heat to low and leave to simmer for 10-15 mins (until the quinoa is getting soft to the tooth), stirring regularly. Turn the heat off, but leave the pan on the hot hob. There will still be a lot of liquid at this stage. Stir in the banana and almond butter, pop the lid on and leave it to sit undisturbed for 10 minutes. When you return the mixture will have thickened considerably and be a good eating temperature. If the mix is still a little sloppy don't worry too much - after cooling and a day in the fridge, all the other portions will be perfect.
  • LynseyH1981
    Options
    And finally, this is my current favourite dinner quinoa recipe. It is from Goopy, but don't let that turn you off - it's delicious. I have never seen a kabocha squash in my life so I used a butternut and it worked just fine. A really tasty meal!

http://www.goop.com/recipes/detox/quinoa-stuffed-kabocha
  • Blokeypoo
    Blokeypoo Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    This is lovely, 386 cals and 47g protein/serving an d it was fine for being frozen too.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1162644/spicy-cajun-chicken-quinoa
  • betrishy
    betrishy Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I love Quinoa!!! I make mine in the rice cooker and serve it as a side dish all by itself. I also like to add 1/4 of cup of quinoa that is cooked and slightly cooled to salads, so yummy!! I have also added cooked Quinoa to ground lamb and made lamb patties and cooked them on the stove with some olive oil, served on top of a spring salad!
  • Ms_Hiit
    Ms_Hiit Posts: 488
    Options
    Spiced Quinoa
    (curry flavors with a touch of sweet from the raisins. It has a great mix of textures)

2hciwp3.jpg

Recipe from app BigOven

STATS per 1/2 cup: 198 calories; 25 grams carbs, 9 grams fat, 6 grams protein

INGREDIENTS:   

1 tablespoon olive oil 
    1 small onion; chopped 
    1 clove garlic;minced 
    3/4 cup quinoa 
    1+ 1/2 teaspoons curry powder 
    1/2 teaspoon salt 
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper 
    1/2 teaspoon cumin
    1/4 teaspoon cinnamon 
    1 1/2 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock 
    1 (14 ounce) can garbanzo beans; drained and rinsed 
    1/2 cup toasted pine nuts 
    1/2 cup raisins; soaked in hot water and drained (optional)

Directions

Stir together the olive oil, onion, and garlic in a saucepan over medium heat until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in the quinoa, curry powder, salt, pepper, cumin, cinnamon, and chicken stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 20 minutes until the quinoa is tender.Once the quinoa has finished cooking, stir in the drained garbanzo beans, toasted pine nuts, and raisins. Serve warm or cold
  • Purplevelvetww
    Options
    Wow that sounds delicious :D I use quinoa quite often, but usually as an accompaniment like we use potatoes or rice. So I'll definitely use your recipe. Thanks for sharing.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,706 Member
    Options
    I make a salad with quinoa, shelled edamame (cook from frozen), halved cherry tomatoes, chopped sun dried tomatoes and a balsamic vinaigrette. A couple of blanched sugar snaps are good in this too. Ate this at a cafe once, and have been making it ever since.
  • JB5349
    JB5349 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    bump to come back!
  • LeanneGoingThin
    LeanneGoingThin Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Yummy!