Dieting on Vacation?

Options
Hey everyone!
So im off to new york over thanksgiving week, and I'm getting really nervous about all of the eating out, not to mention thanksgiving dinner itself. Has anyone stuck to their diet while on vacation? Because I would love to know your tips to success.
-Micaela

Replies

• reggaegirl02
    reggaegirl02 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I try to at least do some kind of exercise even if I don't stick strictly to my healthy eating regimen while on travel. And I always pack something to workout in, that way it doesn't have to be an excuse not to do it. lol ;-)
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Yes.
    I drank lots of water every day, got lots of exercise doing stretches and such while playing tug-of-war (with doggie toys) with their dog and taking her on walks.
    I also checked out the nutrients on all the foods I ate and entered them into the MFP site via my brother's computer each night.
    I came home weighing the same or one pound less than when I left on the vacation. Wore that adorable little dog out, too! ;)
  • lavaflow99
    lavaflow99 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Portion control
  • roylawrence87
    roylawrence87 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    I say vacation is vacation. Do what you want. Its a vacation. Im going to a family reunion this thanksgiving. I plan on eating a lot. But I will pay for it. That is part of it. If you can't deal with the repurcussions, don't do it. I can do this because I have been doing this for a long time.
  • JoyceJoanne
    JoyceJoanne Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I LOVE NYC!! First, you must have fun! Don't worry too much about it. Eat what you love, smaller portions, drink your water, excercise when you can. Try to stay on track mostly. It is life, you have to figure out how to live it. If you gain anything, you can get back on track harder when you get home.
    Have fun, safe travels!:smile:
  • holymolar
    Options
    Have fun, it's a vacation after all! I've never been on vacation while dieting, but every vacation I've been on involved a TON of walking and sight seeing, so while you indulge a little, you'll probably burn a good chunk of those calories anyway.
  • BughaBear
    Options
    Really just give urself time to exercise and I read somewhere that if u prepackage ur meals before goin to someones house or if u eat what they cook portion it out and be aware of what ur eatin and eat smaller portions. Drink drink drink water and it will make u seem fuller without eatin all the food but smellin it will be good haha. And if u cant stay on the wagon u always just get right back up and get on it again and just work harder to get what u put on off.
  • TracieJ65
    TracieJ65 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I just got back from an 11 day vacation and did great! I maintained and actually had some deserts while on vacation! If you would like message me and I can tell you some of the things that I did.
  • Michelle_J
    Michelle_J Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    portion contol is soooooo important. If you can do this, you can come home w/o any additional pounds.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Since NYC like Toronto is basically built like a square (easy to get around and full of shopping areas) make sure you get out and shop, explore, whatever you want but don't take a cab. Grab some gloves and wear running shoes, you'll be fine! If you stop for coffee or something make sure you get something low fat. At Starbucks the Iced Skinny Cinnamon Dolche Late size small is only 1 WW point, at Tim Hortons (which you guys now have in the US, lucky you, welcome to the club!) the small iced cappuccino made with milk is only 3 WW points. Second Cup is horrible on low-fat options.

I am still walking daily on my lunch hour and its now about 8 degrees but that’s perfect for a tank-top with a winter jacket on overtop and gloves. Ear warmers and scarf not yet required.