First day of Stronglifts 5x5... Little bit of help please?

Options
2»

Replies

• fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I tried this program as prescribed for about 6 weeks and found it to be completely unrealistic. There is no way a person can add 5 pounds per session for 14 weeks unless you start unrealistically low.

Complete disclosure here, I am almost 50 and found it impossible to keep loading weight at that rate and other body builders I have personally talked to say this is a bogus program.

If I were you, I would talk to someone who has verifiably gone all the way through the program, and don't ask anyone on Mehdi's site......

If you tried the program "as prescribed for about 6 weeks," you would've been squatting 135lbs at that point. If you couldn't squat 135lbs after 6 weeks, even at 50, you quite probably have a medical problem and should see a doctor. Are you, like, very, very small, by any chance?

Also, of course SL is a "bogus program" if you're a body builder, why would you even bring that up? Aesthetics and strength are different goals.

Seriously, DYEL?
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I've done it since August and my gains have been really affirming for me personally. I didn't always add 5 pounds per session, especially on upper body, but I have had a steady progression and have used deloads to my advantage. I'm up now to significant gains. (My lower body weights are better, 140 for squats and 170 for deadlifts are my current work weight, 60 for OHP, 75 for bench press, and 80 pounds for rows).
    I don't think the program is there to have you progressively load at that rate infinitely.

Oh so you just keep lifting the same weight you're stalling on? Or do you do a proper reset? Either way did you manage to break through and increment again?
  • michail71
    michail71 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    It's been a while since I was on this program. I do Wendler 531 now. But I think if you fail the same exercise and weight 3 times you reset a certain percentage down.

Getting to the point of failing is actually a goal of the program. However, also failing form should count. You don't want to actually experience a failure on a squat while you have hundreds of pounds on your back.
  • halleymw
    halleymw Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    yea, I was working out one day and a guy failed his squat and hurt his back, of course the bars were laying on the floor. Just a reminder the bars are there for a reason, please use them.
    Mike
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    yea, I was working out one day and a guy failed his squat and hurt his back, of course the bars were laying on the floor. Just a reminder the bars are there for a reason, please use them.
    Mike

Oh ****, that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. You mean the safety bars were not set up and he didn't have a spotter?
  • Kimsoontobe
    Kimsoontobe Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,220 Member
    Options
    It is supposed to feel light as for the first while you are working on form and getting nervous system trained as well. If you are an experienced lifter who has done the exercises that a part of Stronglifts to the point of having good form, that is one thing, but for the people who have not lifted before or have not lifted in a long time, it is better to follow the program as written. You will find the weight goes up plenty fast to where you are struggling.