Beginning runner weight gain

This is probably an old topic, but I'm going to ask for thoughts anyway. I understand as a beginning runner that some weight gain is normal. Everytime I see this question posted online it seems to be by some that is already at or near their ideal/goal weight. I am not. I have 50 pounds to lose. 5'11 220# 38 yo female. I stay within my calorie goals daily. I am running 4-5 days a week for 30-40 minutes. Will I ever see weight loss from running or am I just going to be a fatty that runs? Training for a 5k right this spring, 10k in the fall and hopefully a half marathon next year in the spring.

Replies

• With a consistent deficit you will certainly lose with or without running. Running will help create that deficit so being patient and consistent are all you need and eventually you'll see results.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Congrats on setting and working toward your goals! Yes, of course you will lose. Keep working toward your fitness goals and you will lose the weight. Water weight is very discouraging, but it won't hold for long. Your muscles need that extra water for cushion, the fat is dropping even if it is being disguised on the scale.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    So for me I've noticed that running doesn't add enough to my deficit to be a help if I'm not running 20 miles a week. Then at 30+ a week I have to be careful not to over compensate because I get extremely hungry.

Also make sure you aren't overestimating calorie burn. Mfp says I burn around 290 for a 3 mile run. My hrm gives me 250. That adds up over a week.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    What are your calorie goals and how much are you adding back for these runs?
  • moooveitgen
    moooveitgen Posts: 15 Member
    I'm a manager in a big box retail store, so I have a very active job, on my feet all day. As originally posted, I am 5'11", 220# (this includes weight I have gained running) and 38 years old. Based on this, MFP calculates that I should have 1550 calories/day, then whatever calories are burned each day during my runs (usually 280-300) Most days I eat the exercise calories, some days I don't.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    A 500 calorie deficit per day equals about one pound per week weight loss. If you're eating back your exercise calories, that negates the part of the weight loss effect of running.
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    A 500 calorie deficit per day equals about one pound per week weight loss. If you're eating back your exercise calories, that negates the part of the weight loss effect of running.

no. mfp is already set so that you continue with the calorie deficit. thus you eat back the exercise cals and the 500 cal deficit remains there. iykwim.

FWIW as long as your keeping an eye on what you eat, i would focus on the fitness gains made from running. Over time things will drop into place. Are you drinking enough water? When you start out, your muscles keep hold of water as they initially start to develop. Drinking plenty of water ironically helps to flush that out.

Like I said, focus on the fitness gains made from running. The speed at which you improve is much faster than the speed at which the weight starts to drop.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Have your measurements changed? Pants fitting looser?
  • jesserunsfree
    jesserunsfree Posts: 194 Member
    Great question. The answer is yes you will see weight loss. I am currently 226 lbs at 5' 9". I just went a month without loosing weight when I started getting into the heavier miles. After a month plateau it finally fell off in a 10 lb leap. I have noticed that this has happened throughout my entire weight loss process. I started at 352.2 doing C25K and continued to a 10K schedule of running and now a marathon schedule. My body at every 4-5 mile a week increase will stop loosing weight for a few days. - weeks and then drop big. Its completely normal. However, I will tell you I drop inches any time I am not loosing weight. Keep your measurements . it will help you in the process. and if you need a friend to talk to about the running plateaus. I am a new runner experiencing much of the new runner loosing weight scenarios.
  • jesserunsfree
    jesserunsfree Posts: 194 Member
    I will also say that I do not eat back my exercise calories at all. I talked long and hard with my Dr. he said that until I am under 190 lbs he does not see a need for it.
  • ME0172
    ME0172 Posts: 200
    You'll see the change. I lost 30 pounds through cardio and exercise. I was running 4 times a week until I injured my back. I had lost 15 pounds running. Then when I injured my back I went to stationary bike and still lost the other 15 pounds. You can do any cardio that puts in you in a deficit and you'll see the loss. Stick with it.

One recommendation, though: use a heartrate monitor to know exactly what calories you're burning during your workout. I too would eat my workout calories, but stayed under my daily goal. Using a HRM I knew what I had worked off. It was always different than what the machine would say or what MFP would say I had burned from the list. If you use a HRM it will be more accurate.

Good luck with your goals!! Keep working. You'll see changes.
  • sad0711
    sad0711 Posts: 17 Member
    For me, just running all the time I was not losing much weight at all considering I was staying within my calories. It wasn't until I started taking a day or two off running and doing eliptical, and 3 days a week weight training that my weight started going down. My body was just getting to used to running. I needed to mix it up a bit. It really helped to have a HRM too, because I learned I burned fewer calories than any machine or MFP said I did. Good Luck :)
  • moooveitgen
    moooveitgen Posts: 15 Member
    Actually, my pants are more snug in just the butt and thigh area. Other things are loosening up everywhere else...
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,626 Member
    I've been running for years but honestly didn't notice any weight loss from the exercise until I started clocking up some serious miles - 30-40 miles a week. If you want to lose, eat less. I run for cardiovascular health and because it makes me feel great. On MFP I don't eat all my exercise calories back either - about half is good.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    I always notice a slight increase when I get back into running after a break. I currently put on about 5 lbs since running more often. I'm assuming it's just increased muscle mass and my weight always goes down within a few weeks. Running has helped me lose 50 lbs twice, I know it works for me.