Scale Steppin'

Options
entropy90
entropy90 Posts: 42 Member
Alright, I have a dilemma. When do I weigh myself? This question is eating me alive, well actually its kind of 2 questions cleverly disguised as one. The first question being should I weigh myself everyday, every week, once a month or do I just wait until the day I want to have lost the weight by and hope I was on the right track. The reason I wonder is really a question, I guess, of motivation. If I weigh myself everyday will that encourage me with the tiny gains (towards my goal) I'm making or will I be discouraged because they are so tiny even negligible. If I do it once a week or month I will be able to see my progress with greater effect but will the anticipation kill me? Will I be able to adjust my caloric intake and workout pace to make up for a bad week (or month) gone unnoticed. If I weigh myself just once at the end of it all and I screwed up the whole way it will all be for naught, however, maybe that unknown will keep things interesting and keep me going, the big unveil so to speak. The second question should have a simpler answer, What time of the day should I weigh myself? What works for you or what is generally considered the best time.
Thanks to everyone in advance.

Replies

• elis_mama
    elis_mama Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I try to keep it to once a week. The reasoning, is your body fluctuates so much from day to day, that it can get a bit disheartening to do it every single day. I also weigh myself first thing in the morning, right after I pee. :-)
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I'll start with the easy one. Wake, pee, weigh. It's the only consistent reading you will get. You can move up and down 5 or more pounds throughout the day.

The other part is really personal preference. I am a daily weigher and couldn't be happier about it. I understand the daily fluctuations and have learned from them, like a high sodium day showing up as 4 pounds of water the next day. I chart it daily in a phone app and when I get frustrated with the small scale I just zoom out and look at the big line showing my overall progress.

A high daily number motivates me to do better the next day and a low number is just plain thrilling :wink:

There is no "right" answer to this. Just what's right for you.
  • TFrossM
    TFrossM Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'll start with the easy one. Wake, pee, weigh. It's the only consistent reading you will get. You can move up and down 5 or more pounds throughout the day.

The other part is really personal preference. I am a daily weigher and couldn't be happier about it. I understand the daily fluctuations and have learned from them, like a high sodium day showing up as 4 pounds of water the next day. I chart it daily in a phone app and when I get frustrated with the small scale I just zoom out and look at the big line showing my overall progress.

A high daily number motivates me to do better the next day and a low number is just plain thrilling :wink:

^This
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options

+1
  • oxsarahhxo
    Options
    once a week is round about what you wana aim for
  • d3mon4ngel
    d3mon4ngel Posts: 242 Member
    Options

+1

Was about to write my own post, but this about sums it up for me too :smile:
  • Raasy
    Raasy Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I personally only weigh once a week. I tried the every day thing and it was not for me, even though I understood the daily fluctuations that happen, I still found it discouraging. So I weight in once a week, day of my choosing, which happens to be Wednesday. I weigh in first thing in the am with no food or water in my systems and I weigh in my birthday suit to get the best accurate number I can get.
  • missie_515513
    missie_515513 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I aiming for once per week - I had a bit of a wobble this week and it was because I weighed myself mid week and I had gained weight - I lost a bit of motivation and ended up eating a tub of ice-cream!! Which wasn't good - however I weighed in as normal today and I have lost 2lbs since last week!!!
  • trinity5703
    Options
    Once a week, first thing in the morning.
  • entropy90
    entropy90 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Looks like I got my answer. Thanks all.