Log before or after you eat?

Options

Replies

• tlou5
    tlou5 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I pre log when possible to kind of map my calories for the day and then modify in the evening if needed
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Always before I eat, so I know exactly how much I can have or how much I have left.

Often I'll be counting grams to meet my goal as close as possible in the evening too...
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I log all my meals in the morning or the night before... leave room for the snacks until the end of the day. I stick to it better if I pre-log. I feel guilty if I try and grab something extra at dinner or something like that.
  • JilloftheDead
    JilloftheDead Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Before, always before. I like to budget my calories and dislike using too many too early in the day.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    After breakfast, during lunch and before dinner.

I tend to wake up and eat breakfast however I want since I normally like lower-calorie breakfasts anyway. I log it, then log what I'll be having for dinner since I plan my dinners two weeks in advance anyway. Then I gauge how hungry I am and how many calories I have left for lunch.

Working from home and knowing how to cook really works to my benefit. :glasses:
  • MrsAustin1480
    MrsAustin1480 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I log while I'm making stuff, sometimes before I start - when I get an idea and don't know if it's the greatest one - but I try not to log after because I still get little surprises here and there and go over. Ugh.
  • luvsherhubby
    luvsherhubby Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Both. I make a plan for the day then adjust or change as the day goes by.

^^^ this, but I also never plan 100% of my calories - I leave a few hundred so I can make choices as I go

same here, pre log to hit protein and calorie goal with some calorie room for something that might come up, I then adjust as I go. It can make cooking more fun because I put the recipe in as is, and then when cooking I try to get away with less say 2 tbls of soy sauce vs the 4 the recipe called for etc and then I get to adjust it and watch my cals and sodium drop!
  • rjdunn87
    rjdunn87 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    If I'm being organized and responsible, I'll usually have a general meal plan for the week and so I can pre-log at least my breakfast and lunch at the beginning of the day. For example, for lunches last week I made a recipe that serves 4, divided it up into 4 tupperwares and those were my lunches Monday-Thursday, so I could pre-log that in the morning and have a good sense of how much I had left for dinner and snacks.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Always before. Usually just before each meal/snack though--not the night before or anything earlier.
  • redstar7
    redstar7 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I pre-log the easy stuff, like the things I can just scan a barcode on my phone or if I have already made or eaten something. But, I really like the recipe maker on this website. It makes it really easy to log things that I make for dinner. Especially since I don't cook for one. So usually when it comes to dinner and I'm making something new I log afterwards by using the recipe calorie builder thing.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I log my whole day in advance! I can spread my calories evenly through my six meals/snacks and I can make sure I'm okay with macros and the micros I track (for me, sugar and iron). Then I can make changes to ensure that I meet my goals. Of course, I often have to go back and adjust later. I log the minimum number of calories I eat (1570 to lose 1 lb./week) in advance, but if I'm really hungry or need to change plans, I'll often eat at a lower deficit (1820 to lose .5 lb./week) or at maintenance (2070).
  • lejenn
    lejenn Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I always log my food before I start making it, that way I know beforehand how many calories it'll be and how many calories I'll have leftover to work with for the rest of the day :)
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Before, during and after for me.

Some foods are my daily go to's and I can pre log.
    Usually I'll add the others as I've eaten them.
    At the end of the day I'll fill in any foods I've eaten without anticipating or adding right away.

It is a habit to log my food.
  • training2bme
    Options
    I have made it a habit of logging it AS I am eating it, or throwing it in whatever I am cooking at the time. If I don't do it that way, I forget something or DO end up going over in a category. If I log, eat/add; I can eliminate it if it pus me over.
  • AHack3
    AHack3 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I mainly try to log before, whenever I log after is when I tend to go over.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I usually log in before.
  • pinklemonayde530
    pinklemonayde530 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Usually, I log as I'm cooking ...sometimes I'll pre-log things to see how they look in my diary and help me decide what to have.
  • Revcminor
    Options
    I've been making a plan for the day first thing in the morning. That way I know how much wiggle room I have snack wise.
  • MsBrdlv
    MsBrdlv Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Both. I make a plan for the day then adjust or change as the day goes by.

This is what I do as well. I find that I stay on track better if I know what the plan is for the day.