wondering about p 90 x

Options
Alright so I have heard so much about p90x and I was wondering if someone could give me kind of a run down of what it is how it works and what you need to start, plus is "insanity" part of p90x is there a separate dvd you need for this??

Replies

• blueelephant1212
    blueelephant1212 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    i've been wondering the same thing!
  • mccorml
    mccorml Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    they are different p90x is toning lean muscle strength training and insanity is lose inches lose weight and have bodybuilder calves and thighs! lol and you get skinny quick!
  • missliss1102
    missliss1102 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    There are a total of 12 DVDs with p90x:
    chest and back
    Plyometrics
    Shoulders and arms
    yoga
    legs and back
    kenpo
    stretch
    core synergistics
    chest, shoulders, and triceps
    back and biceps
    ab ripper x
    cardio x

It's tough, and it's as much about the nutrition aspect as the exercise, but I know a lot of people who have had great results from it. I have the dvds...and I'm working up to actually sticking to the plan, but I feel like I need to get to a certain level of fitness first. Right now if I do 1 dvd, I'm so sore for 2 days that I can't work out.
  • kaslack
    Options
    It's fun, it's effective, and Tony Horton (though you will spend much time hating him) is hilarious.

It uses "muscle confusion" so for example, Day 1: Plyo (jumping cardio workout), Day 2: weight training (chest/shoulders) and abs, Day 3: Yoga, Day 4: weight training (legs and back) and abs, Day 5 Kenpo (martial arts-type cardio workout), etc. You never do the same thing two days in a row. Your body never gets used to the motions and then plateaus. It's pretty intense, and it takes commitment. Workouts are an hour to an hour and a half per day.

Tony is way annoying but I think that's what keeps me motivated - I crack jokes right back at the TV and say all the funny lines as he does (it happens once you've watched the videos so many times...). It's not boring, that's for sure.

What you need to start... Dumbells in various weights (5-25lbs should be good for a beginner...) A pull-up bar (can get them at Target for $20 or so...). Yoga mat (recommended but not necessary). Lots of motivation.

Insanity is a WAY more intense workout - lots more cardio, less weight training.

Hope this helps. Good luck! I highly recommend it!
  • kaslack
    Options
    There are a total of 12 DVDs with p90x:
    chest and back
    Plyometrics
    Shoulders and arms
    yoga
    legs and back
    kenpo
    stretch
    core synergistics
    chest, shoulders, and triceps
    back and biceps
    ab ripper x
    cardio x

It's tough, and it's as much about the nutrition aspect as the exercise, but I know a lot of people who have had great results from it. I have the dvds...and I'm working up to actually sticking to the plan, but I feel like I need to get to a certain level of fitness first. Right now if I do 1 dvd, I'm so sore for 2 days that I can't work out.

If you "rest" for those couple of days, it will continue to be hard. You need to push through, even though you're sore. I know it's hard, but the results are worth it. After the first few days of doing it, I felt awesome. Pushing play is the hardest part. Keep going. Don't give up!
  • Nattiejean57
    Nattiejean57 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Is insanity a different DVD you need to buy or does it come with it?
  • kaslack
    Options
    Is insanity a different DVD you need to buy or does it come with it?

Insanity is a completely different program.
  • Nattiejean57
    Nattiejean57 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    oh ok, is it by the same people or something? I have just seen alot of people talk about both, i get confused easily
  • telcochik
    telcochik Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Insanity and P90X are 2 totally different workout programs with 2 different trainers. P90X is Tony Horton's creation and Insanity is by Shaun T. Both are intense, both produce results but P90X is designed to get you in your best shape through heavy strength training with cardio and yoga sessions included. Insanity is designed to push you to your cardio max with intense cardio drills and short periods of rest. It does not focus on strength training per se but each Insanity session has strength moves (planks, burpees, etc.) Both will exhaust you but will push you in ways you never thought your body could handle.

I've used them both and love them for very different reasons. If you google both terms you'll find tons of info about each one.

Sharon
  • kaslack
    Options
    oh ok, is it by the same people or something? I have just seen alot of people talk about both, i get confused easily

It's all part of the beachbody.com "brand" along with a few others.