Need some advice please :)

Options
hi everyone i'm jamie i'm male and i weigh 14stone and i'm 6ft3 i have been doing cardio workouts for 1 week now i have been doing jumping jacks press ups sit ups pull ups going for morning jogs anyhow i feel abit slimmer but i don't know what food to eat ?? any ideas welcome and i'm thinking of buying a rowing machine are they any good i am very fit but just have a podgy belly that needs gone lol i'm wanting to do intense workouts so if anyone can recommend anything thanks

Replies

• donivsha
    donivsha Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi Jamie,
    Congrats on taking the initiative.
    Jumping directly to answer your question about diet follow these simple steps to begin with and you can adjust gradually based on your lifestyle. Some of the suggestions below are also non-diet related as diet itself doesn't do everything. Weight loss is a combination of all.

1. Do not go on extreme diets.
    2. Eat smaller portions every 3 hours so that you don't binge.
    3. Eat breakfast.
    4. Drink lots of water through out the day.
    5. Stay low on carbs and fat and sugars. As a rule, have carbs only before/after workouts.
    6. Eat more protein.
    7. Have good sleep. This is key.
    8. Log your diet in myfitnesspal to know the intake and to know where to make adjustments.
    9. Take it easy as it is all a slow process. Do not stress if you do not see the results. It takes a while and few failures to know what is working and what is not.

As a simple rule, if you cannot do it for rest of your life, do not do it.
    Also looks like you are doing cardio which is good but also try to add weight/strength training to your routine. Please avoid doing too much cardio.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Hi Jamie, I am going to give my opinion on what the first responder advised you.

1. Agreed
    2. Unnecessary unless you find this personally sustainable
    3. Agreed, but again, personal preference.
    4. Always good advice.
    5. This is completely off base. Sugars, and carbs in general, do not hinder fat loss.
    6. Eat 0.8-1.0g of protein per pound of LBM.
    7. Agreed.
    8. Agreed.
    9. Agreed.
  • JamieLufcMot
    Options
    thanks for the advice guys
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Hi Jamie, I am going to give my opinion on what the first responder advised you.

1. Agreed
    4. Always good advice.
    5. This is completely off base. Sugars, and carbs in general, do not hinder fat loss.
    7. Agreed.
    8. Agreed.
    9. Agreed.
    This.

Jamie, do you go to a gym? If you do I'd suggest buying a few sessions with a trainer to show you some weight lifting routines. If not, you can set up your own home gym. Sometimes you can find weigh sets for cheap prices. I think getting rid of a "podgy belly" might require a bit of weight loss since you cant really spot reduce. The rowing machine sounds great too. It's al about trial and error and finding what works for you.
  • JamieLufcMot
    Options
    No i don't go gym but i have been doing some weights mainly just cardio though like 100 jumping jacks then then 40 sit ups 10 press ups about 8 pull ups cant make it to 10 lol then i have a 5 min rest then off for a 1mile jog and i have been doing this for around 10 days i have gone from 14 stone to just under 13 and my goal is around 11 or 12
  • donivsha
    donivsha Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Jamie,

You do not have to go to the gym.
    You seem to be going on the right track.
    You can do a lot at home.
    Youtube has many videos for fat loss exercises.
    I use this website www.jefit.com.
    Navigate to the 'exercises' tab. There is an option to select body only exercises.
    They have smartphone app too.

Also check this article when you get a chance.
    http://www.leanitup.com/how-insulin-carbs-and-hfcs-impact-weightloss/
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options

1. Agreed
    4. Always good advice.
    7. Agreed.
    8. Agreed.
    9. Agreed.

This is more accurate. Eating that much protein isn't necessary but it is the generally accepted amount for maintaining some muscle mass while losing fat.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    i don't know what food to eat ?? any ideas welcome.
    You can eat anything if it fits your macros. Anything. If you meet your MFP calorie goal every day, you will lose weight. For now, learn to log everything you eat accurately & honestly. Weigh everything. Learn to find accurate database entries. (There's a lot of junky data in there.) Once you get that down (it's harder than it sounds), then you can start working on what you eat. (For example, you may want to eat more protein & fibre.) But start w/ the basics. Learn to log.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Edited to add: log your exercise & eat back your exercise calories. If you aren't losing, try eating back half your exercise calories. With such a small amount of weight to lose, your goal should be set to .5 lb. per week.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Weight loss happens from calorie deficit, not exercise. Yes, of course exercise is good for you...keep it up. But to lose weight you need a calorie deficit. Start logging what you're eating...don't make changes, just log for a few days. Now...go back and see what simple changes you can make to eat healthier, smarter..at a deficit. You don't have to go on any extreme diet...or change much at all. Portion size matters, but so does satisfaction. You can do this!