I NEED HELP!!!

Options
Ok I think MFP is the best thing that has happened to me this past week that I've launched the mission to get healthy and lose weight.

I have flaws folks!!

I observed that everyday I go over my carbs and sodium, what should I do to prevent this??

Also I've started working out, so my goal is 1910 calories a day. So should I not feel bad to have over 1000 calories remaining as long as I got close to or slightly over my goal??

Yes I have alot to learn!! And I want to soak in as much knowledge as possible.

Replies

• amyjo519
    amyjo519 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    A lot of times, if I don't eat my exercise calories (like your 1000 left over) then I wake up in the middle of the night...STARVING!!! So I suggest trying to eat some of your left over exercise calories. If you can. Good luck!!! It takes awhile to figure out how to balance everything...but if I can do it... then you can, for sure!!!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: try making your food as nutritionally dense as possible and avoid empty calories......also to keep the sodium down, stay away from processed (packaged) food and restaurant food.....that's where all the sodium is.

:flowerforyou: if you exercise a lot and have lots of calories, consider peanut butter and nuts and avocados for extra calories with good nutrition
  • caprica
    caprica Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    umm - first don't panic - we all have flaws. If you are slightly under your calories for the day and you are loosing weight then all is fine.

In terms of cutting back on your carbs, just eat your carbs last in each meal. Eat your veg and protein first and then if you are still hungry then eat some carbs later.

Regarding salt, cut back on take aways and processed food and cook more healthy food for yourself. Also drink more water.

lastly eat all your calories and eat at least half of your exercise calories. You dont want your body to go into starvation mode and start accumulating more fat.
  • kasmir8199
    kasmir8199 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I try to listen to my body as much as I can when it comes to getting those calories in. It's rare that I go over my 1540 allotment, but on the days that I do vigorous exercises (Fight Club, P90X, Running), I'm burning close to 1000 cals and I find it very challenging to eat them back and remain healthy. And if I eat unhealthy, I begin to feel nauseous with guilt. But it I feel completely satisfied and I'm still lacking 1000 cals or so, I don't let it bother me. It's a nice buffer to have if you do need a snack later.

You want to make sure you're eating close to your resting metabolic rate (RMR) each day. I've been Bod-Pod tested and I know for certain that my RMR is in the 1700 range. Depriving your body of too many of the calories it needs will slow your metabolism, from what I was told.
  • GrandmaCarolyn
    Options
    Your goal should not be less than 1200 calories at any time to prevent your body from consuming your muscles instead of fat. You probably should increase your protein instead of carbs when you are working out. Avoid processed foods like ham, hot dogs , luncheon meats and chicken unless it is fresh with no salt added (check the ingrediants) to consume less salt. I don't add much salt to food at all and use low salt products whenever possible. I add other seasoning instead like Mrs Dash. If a lot of your carbs comes from sandwiches, eat it open faced (1 piece of bread) or wrap it in lettuce occasionally instead of bread. It is still important to eat some carbs. The diabetic diet recommends dividing your plate into quarters--1/4 lean protein, 1/4 carb and half the plate vegies. Then add a small amt. of oil and a piece of fruit. That is healthy eating.