Grapefruit vs. Grapefruit Juice

Options
Hi everyone-

I'm trying to lose some weight and maintain a healthy lifestyle, and I've been doing a lot of research. I've read that eating grapefruit with every meal has been proven to aid in weight-loss and I've been trying it. However, I really do not care for grapefruit. I was wondering if there is a major difference between eating a grapefruit and having one serving of grapefruit juice with each meal. A lot of the sites I've checked say "grapefruit or grapefruit juice" but I just wanted to know if anyone has tried this or has any advice! I know that drinking fruit juices isn't the best, but I've never had grapefruit juice so I really don't know anything about it!

Thank you for any help!!

Replies

• fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I'm not sold on the idea that grapefruit induces weightloss...I believe the 4-hr diet Tim ferris guy came out with something like that. But, I think you need to consider the difference between fruit and fruit juice. Eating the whole fruit provides the fibre, a very good thing to have in a healthy diet. While fruit juice has the fibre removed. Good luck with your journey.
  • katorihanzo
    katorihanzo Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    There shouldn't be much difference, as long as you're drinking a fair amount of the pulp along with the juice and as long as the juice you're drinking doesn't have a ton of added sugar. Try buying high-pulp GF juice with no added sugar, or, even better (less sugar) juicing your own.

As for whether or not grapefruit aids in weight loss, I have no idea. I can't see how it would hurt to eat some grapefruit with most meals though. Good for ya!
  • LeahFerri
    LeahFerri Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I don't really drink fruit juice any more because it adds calories and sugar without helping satiety. Don't force yourself to eat grapefruit OR drink grapefruit juice if you don't like it. Just track what you eat (accurately!), maintain a caloric deficit, and work to figure out what foods keep you full. There's nothing magical about grapefruit for weight loss as far as I know, but it CAN mess with certain medications.
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    Grapefruit will give you fiber too which also helps, and arguably some enzymatic possible help. Grapefruit juice does not have the same benefits, and will make it likely you are increasing calories drinking sweetened juice or more juice than you'd get from a grapefruit. Grapefruit also is not a magic fruit, so fitting it into your calories is great, but relying on it to cause weightloss will cause you to fail: figure out your daily burn rate either using MFP or another method and find your 1-2lb rate of loss per week baseline calories per day to consume, only eat your calories per day + half to 3/4 exercise calories back, measure portion sizes, record all calories, and do some kind of exercise you enjoy 150 minutes per week, and as a side issue include grapefruit into your calories for the day if you want to ensure success!
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    The only way grapefruit might help with weight loss is by filling you up so eat less of your more calorically dense meal. Juice won't help with that at all.
  • joan23_us
    joan23_us Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    your fatloss success vvill ultimately be dictated by the amount of enery output vs. your energy input, you should be in a caloric deficit, grapefruit or no grapefruit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcM8HablpZk
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    The only tip I've ever heard about grapefruit is that eating half a grapefruit before a meal will fill you up so you don't eat half as much after. That's about it. There's no such thing as a miracle fat burning food.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    fresh squeezed grapefruits only in my greyhounds, puh-leeeze
  • pheona76
    Options
    While there is definitely a mystery to grapefruit. Note many medications don't work if you are eating grapefruit and no one really knows why. But I doubt the amount of help the grapefruit would give you would counteract the impact of eating something you don't like. The key to weight loss/maintenance is finding a way you can eat healthy and exercise that you like. If you don't like it don't do it. It will demotivate you.

However, I like to broil my grapefruit, I caramelize a little honey or dark brown sugar on a half. I love it warm in the winter and the heating changes the taste. Give it a try if you really want to find a way to like grapefruit.
  • lstroth1
    lstroth1 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    One thing you need to watch out for is if you are on any medications you could have interactions with grapefruit and grapefruit juice. That is something you need to ask a pharmacist/ doctor or even google the medication and grapefruit to see if there is any problems.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Nothing special about grapefruit. Don't like it? Don't eat it. Done.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I love grapefruits, 'cause they taste good. I don't think they do anything to affect my weight loss.
  • ANGIE181062
    ANGIE181062 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I eat grapefruit and drink the juice but have notice that the sugar content in the juice is high any good makes please? x
  • bradXdale
    bradXdale Posts: 399
    Options
    Grapefruit - Raw, natural sugars, full of vitamins, good carbohydrates & fiber.

Grapefruit Juice - Usually processed, full of synthetic & formulated sugar, low nutritional profile, no fiber or anything great for you really.

Stick with the raw fruit unless you use a juicer at home to juice the fruit.
  • ANGIE181062
    ANGIE181062 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Grapefruit - Raw, natural sugars, full of vitamins, good carbohydrates & fiber.

Grapefruit Juice - Usually processed, full of synthetic & formulated sugar, low nutritional profile, no fiber or anything great for you really.

Stick with the raw fruit unless you use a juicer at home to juice the fruit.

Ok ty x:happy:
  • mjudd1990
    mjudd1990 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Grapefruit juice inhibits a certain liver enzyme (cytochrome P450 1A2) which is responsible for metabolizing certain medications, clozapine for bipolar disorder being one example. This can cause the medication to accumulate to toxic levels and cause adverse effects. Occasionally eating grapefruit or grapefruit juice won't hurt but if you are doing it every day it may behoove you to check and make sure it won't affect any of the medications you are currently taking.
  • jmsspr93
    jmsspr93 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I was drinking it and believed it was helping, but I have stopped drinking the wretched stuff and I am still losing just fine if not more.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Watch how you talk about grapefruits. I love grapefruits and we're gonna have to fight.

JUST KIDDING!

So, as a lover of grapefruits or all colors, I recommend eating them and not drinking GF juice. Also, ruby red grapefruits are frakking delicious. The Ruby Reds tend to be more expensive, though.

If I'm correct, all juice has added sugar, no matter how much they say it's 100% juice. And, you get the added fiber from eating the fruit.

give them a chance, they will grow on you. Or cut them up and mix them up with another fruit in a salad. And, if you don't want to eat it, you can squeeze the juice of the GF onto a salad.

Oh, and unless it's high quality GF juice, it usually tastes like garbage.

You can tell I love grapefruits, right?
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    I love grapefruits, 'cause they taste good. I don't think they do anything to affect my weight loss.

Finally, another GF lover!
  • ratchet2
    ratchet2 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    The fruit itself (actually all fruits and vegtables) have fiber, the juice does not. The fiber will help fill you up whereas the juice not so much.

This is more on the line of .......do you want to eat your calories or drink your calories?