No idea what to do!!

Options
I keep reading and hearing so many contradicting theories that I have no idea what I should be doing.

Ideally my goal is to get into healthy BMI, be toned and healthy.

What should my weekly exercise regime be??

Does 5 min cardio then strength work out fat burn??

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    fat burning comes more from creating a calorie deficit

as for workout, you dont have to workout out to lose weight. but there are other other health benefits like resistance training helping to preserve lean body mass as you lose.

what do you like to do activity wise? just pick some things that you like doing and do those
  • sassymc86
    sassymc86 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I definitely want to work out. I like how I feel afterwards
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    The bottom line: If you eat less calories then you burn, you will lose weight.

That is, if you eat at a net caloric deficit, you will lose weight.

Exercise and activity increases the number of calories you burn, which means you will have a greater caloric deficit. In addition to creating a bigger deficit, a regular exercise program has a number of other benefits, such as increased mood and better sleep at night.

There is no one workout program that you *should* be doing. Find a physical activity you enjoy and do it.

Edited for spelling.
  • _Danno_
    _Danno_ Posts: 165
    Options
    You can lose weight and get to a healthy BMI without doing any exercise at all! In this game it's all about the diet, if you get that right you will succeed.

That being said, exercise has a whole host of benefits besides losing weight so just try and do something that you enjoy ????
  • sassymc86
    Options
    I get all that, its the work out I'm struggling with.
    I don't want to waste time doing something that's wrong.

How do I tone?
  • pheona76
    Options
    Weight Lift. Sit-ups, roman chair. Lots and lots of different kinds of crunches. This will tone.

So after you have lost weight with your calorie deficit you will be nicely toned.

Start with more then 5 min of cardio. You are getting your heart rate up and warming up your muscles for safety.

So 10-15 min of cardio to warm up. stretch your target muscles for the day. Then weight lift. I would go with the standard 3 sets or 12-15 reps. If you can do 15 reps for 3 sets easily up your weight. Long smooth movements and don't be afraid to up the weight you will not get huge muscles. You will look and feel great.

Stretch again after lifting weights.
  • pheona76
    Options
    Also if you have never lifted wieghts and don't know how. Take a class, get a video or get a personal trainer so you can learn the lifting program that works for you and do it safely.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    1. BMI - IMO - is a garbage stat. Focus on body fat % and how you actually look. I am 11-12% body fat, but my BMI says I am "slightly obese" …BMI does not take into account muscle mass.

2. Figure out a 500 calorie deficit and stay in that deficit.

3. Strength Train. I recommend compound lifts - deadlifts, squats, overhead press, rows, chin ups/pull ups, bench press. Starting strength and new rules of lifting for woman are great resources.

4. once you learn the above moves incorporate them into a three day a week routine where you hit arms/legs/back/shoulders/chest and then do cardio on off days. You should also be lifting heavy for you and work in the 6-10 rep range…as the reps get easier increase the weight by 5 pounds. 5x5 is a pretty good program….

5 - hit your macro percentages for carbs/fat/protein ..I would recommend 40P/30C/30F, you can change these in MFP custom settings.

6. Do no label foods as "good" or "bad'….just eat in a deficit and follow the 80/20 rule…80% healthy 20% whatever you want….

7 - repeat until you hit desired goals and then you can adjust your training program and calorie levels for your next goal...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Weight Lift. Sit-ups, roman chair. Lots and lots of different kinds of crunches. This will tone.

So after you have lost weight with your calorie deficit you will be nicely toned.

Start with more then 5 min of cardio. You are getting your heart rate up and warming up your muscles for safety.

So 10-15 min of cardio to warm up. stretch your target muscles for the day. Then weight lift. I would go with the standard 3 sets or 12-15 reps. If you can do 15 reps for 3 sets easily up your weight. Long smooth movements and don't be afraid to up the weight you will not get huge muscles. You will look and feel great.

Please lord no …do not do this ….

you can't spot reduce or target an area…crunches/sit ups etc are not really going to do anything if you still have a layer of fat over them …you get abs by revealing them through reduced body fat…

Please do not do cardio on the same day as weight lifting..it is just going to take away from your lifts…

15+ reps is basically useless and a waste of time…

the only thing I agree with in this post is upping the weights...
  • rylinn212
    Options
    Not to promote .... but I really like Jessica Smith TV (http://www.jessicasmithtv.com). She is on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/user/jessicasmithtv) and has a website as well . Most of her workouts are free and under 30 minutes but impactful!!

She has great variety and uses simple weights and bands. Most of her WO's are interval as well which is great because it kind of causes muscle confusion. Have fun!!
  • pheona76
    Options

Please lord no …do not do this ….

you can't spot reduce or target an area…crunches/sit ups etc are not really going to do anything if you still have a layer of fat over them …you get abs by revealing them through reduced body fat…

Please do not do cardio on the same day as weight lifting..it is just going to take away from your lifts…

15+ reps is basically useless and a waste of time…

the only thing I agree with in this post is upping the weights...
    [/quote

Hahahahaha. I think you misunderstand. I agree you can't target, but you can build. Crunches build. Also did not mean to insinuate that you could build until abs show through fat, but she had indicated she understood weight loss by calorie deficit and wanted to tone. Thus the line about after fat loss will be toned.

Also, It seems she is new to lifting, most people start with 3 sets, 12-15 reps.

Finally definitely warm and stretch your muscles before lifting. Sorry, just disagree there.

Do what works for you.
  • boulevardMto180
    Options

Exercise and activity increases the number of calories you burn, which means you will have a greater caloric deficit. In addition to creating a bigger deficit, a regular exercise program has a number of other benefits, such as increased mood and better sleep at night.

There is no one workout program that you *should* be doing. Find a physical activity you enjoy and do it.

Edited for spelling.

Does this all mean, I should NOT eat the calories gained after a workout?
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I get all that, its the work out I'm struggling with.
    I don't want to waste time doing something that's wrong.

How do I tone?

You can do body strength workouts like push ups, planks, burpees, squats or you can lift weights.

If you're interested in lifting look at Stronglifts 5x5 it's a very simple, but effective program.
  • pheona76
    Options

Edited for spelling.

Does this all mean, I should NOT eat the calories gained after a workout?

no. It means that total calories consumed should be less then total calories burned for the entire day. calories for the day will include calories burned just living outside of exercise). Mfp and other sites can help you calculate.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

L2Zqwhj.gif
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Here's my guide to losing weight and having a nice lean body when you are done. Yes, it says it is about having a nice stomach, but it is really about overall fat loss.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1161603-so-you-want-a-nice-stomach
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    Here's my guide to losing weight and having a nice lean body when you are done. Yes, it says it is about having a nice stomach, but it is really about overall fat loss.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1161603-so-you-want-a-nice-stomach

43591-THIS-gif-ECaV.gif
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    1. BMI - IMO - is a garbage stat. Focus on body fat % and how you actually look. I am 11-12% body fat, but my BMI says I am "slightly obese" …BMI does not take into account muscle mass.

2. Figure out a 500 calorie deficit and stay in that deficit.

3. Strength Train. I recommend compound lifts - deadlifts, squats, overhead press, rows, chin ups/pull ups, bench press. Starting strength and new rules of lifting for woman are great resources.

4. once you learn the above moves incorporate them into a three day a week routine where you hit arms/legs/back/shoulders/chest and then do cardio on off days. You should also be lifting heavy for you and work in the 6-10 rep range…as the reps get easier increase the weight by 5 pounds. 5x5 is a pretty good program….

5 - hit your macro percentages for carbs/fat/protein ..I would recommend 40P/30C/30F, you can change these in MFP custom settings.

6. Do no label foods as "good" or "bad'….just eat in a deficit and follow the 80/20 rule…80% healthy 20% whatever you want….

7 - repeat until you hit desired goals and then you can adjust your training program and calorie levels for your next goal...

This! All of it. :)

Here is my advice to add to the awesomeness above:

Read up on these threads to get a grip on your calories:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=sexypants

Also check out "Eat More to Weigh Less":

https://www.facebook.com/EM2WL

http://eatmore2weighless.com/

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/3834-eat-more-to-weigh-less

Also, this group is great:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/10067-eat-train-progress-

For beginner weight training programs:

You can look into one of these equipment-required programs:

--Stronglifts 5x5
    --Starting Strength
    --New Rules of Lifting for Women

I love NROL4W. :) SL 5x5 is another popular program, but I do like the information put forth in the NROL4W book even if you do not follow the routine. There is also a book called Starting Strength that is great for beginners (it has a lot of good information).

I would recommend really reading up/watching videos on form though. I also HIGHLY recommend getting a trainer for a few sessions just to make sure your form is proper (you don't need to keep them long term).

You can also look into these non-equipment-required things:

--You Are Your Own Gym
    --www.nerdfitness.com
    --Convict Conditioning

Good luck! <3
  • sassymc86
    Options
    thanks guys! somewhat confused still but things are a little clearer!

no cardio what so ever before weights? do you not need to warm up muscles first?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I keep reading and hearing so many contradicting theories that I have no idea what I should be doing.

Ideally my goal is to get into healthy BMI, be toned and healthy.

What should my weekly exercise regime be??

Does 5 min cardio then strength work out fat burn??

5 minutes of cardio doesn't accomplish much of anything.

You also didn't say anything about eating habits - that is what really matters for your goal of getting to a healthy BMI. What you are you referring to as "toning" is really mostly a matter of getting lean - i.e., dieting.