The rewards of Exercise

Options
Hi All

Just wanted to share how I've felt since starting to exercise regularly since Nov 13. I know a lot of people struggle with exercise for various reasons such as health and family commitments but hopefully this will help.

1) Start off slow, my first cardio session lasted 5 minutes, 2 min stint and a 3 min stint on the cross-trainer.

2) Increase the session by 1 minute only per day. You will feel fitter within a few days.

3) Try stick to blocks at first. 10 minute stint = 2 x 5 min stint on cross trainer/ exercise bike/ treadmill/ walk

4) Eat a balanced diet. I eat cereal, a sandwich and a biggish evening meal each day with some light snacks (some days)

I know this set-up won't work for everyone but I'd attempt the fitness technique, I was of NO fitness to start now I consider my fitness to have improved significantly.

Lost 22lbs to date!

Replies

• cherash1
    cherash1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Good job on your weight loss.
  • meganwinx
    meganwinx Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the 22 down! Its also good to find something fun to do to mix up the gym type cardio. Myself being a gamer, I love throwing in some Active games to make it more fun :)
  • stages95
    stages95 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the 22 down! Its also good to find something fun to do to mix up the gym type cardio. Myself being a gamer, I love throwing in some Active games to make it more fun :)

That's awesome! I:smile:

I'm quite an outdoor person, I recently helped out with an environmental organisation who remove litter and obstructions from rivers in my local area, pretty good workout whilst benefiting the environment! :drinker:
  • Rose_1980
    Options
    Awesome - well done and thanks for sharing!:happy:
  • Shannon_PAC
    Options
    I really appreciate this post! I, too, started exercising recently and WHAT A DIFFERENCE in the 40 days or so I've been doing it. Every aspect of my daily life is just a little bit easier (getting out of the car, going up stairs, running in from the parking lot when I'm late to work, playing with my kids, getting off the floor, etc). It just makes such a huge difference. :)
  • stages95
    Options
    I really appreciate this post! I, too, started exercising recently and WHAT A DIFFERENCE in the 40 days or so I've been doing it. Every aspect of my daily life is just a little bit easier (getting out of the car, going up stairs, running in from the parking lot when I'm late to work, playing with my kids, getting off the floor, etc). It just makes such a huge difference. :)

That's great Shannon! I've noticed I'm more flexible, not as many muscle cramps and even a better recovery time after exercise! Well done on your fantastic weight loss! Keep up the good work :drinker:
  • djxil
    djxil Posts: 357
    Options
    Stages, nice topic. I started off slowly too, regarding the exercise part. My first day was about 11 days after yours, I think I was more overweight than you by a wide margin and am 24 years your senior.

I went cold turkey, cutting fast food, coffee energy drinks and candy, day 1 and have progressed to eating more healthy, making all my meals from scratch and drinking a ton more water. I started adding walking not long after I started logging my food. I just started increasing my speed or activity levels recently, walking, jogging, running bleachers.

Moderation is the key, congrats to you for starting so early in life, form good habits now, they will make your life far more rich and rewarding.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your loss :-)

I agree with what you say, start slow and build up gradually. I also think cross training is very useful to start.... do as much variety as possible. This takes the load off specific groups of muscles which can help protect against injury. Its also important not to over do it. Human cardio systems can improve faster than tendons and ligaments so take it easy and do plenty of stretching. Also I would advise to make sure people hit their macros, in particular protein.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Way to break it down.

When i started running, i started slow (almost fast walk) and could only do 3 mins and had to stop. I worked my way up to a faster time and worked up to about 2 miles.

Keep it up
  • stages95
    Options
    Stages, nice topic. I started off slowly too, regarding the exercise part. My first day was about 11 days after yours, I think I was more overweight than you by a wide margin and am 24 years your senior.

I went cold turkey, cutting fast food, coffee energy drinks and candy, day 1 and have progressed to eating more healthy, making all my meals from scratch and drinking a ton more water. I started adding walking not long after I started logging my food. I just started increasing my speed or activity levels recently, walking, jogging, running bleachers.

Moderation is the key, congrats to you for starting so early in life, form good habits now, they will make your life far more rich and rewarding.

That's great work mate! Keep it up. I like reading the success stories on here, it proves with determination and sweat anybody can succeed! I quite enjoy the outdoors, so being out helps lose weight too. I'm going to invest in a heart rate mointor soon, to help gauge heart rate and how hard I actually push myself :smile:
  • stages95
    Options
    Congratulations on your loss :-)

I agree with what you say, start slow and build up gradually. I also think cross training is very useful to start.... do as much variety as possible. This takes the load off specific groups of muscles which can help protect against injury. Its also important not to over do it. Human cardio systems can improve faster than tendons and ligaments so take it easy and do plenty of stretching. Also I would advise to make sure people hit their macros, in particular protein.

Cheers for the tips Davert! I'm looking to go back to my local gym soon, I used to particularly enjoy rowing and cycling so if I could get back into that it would be great! Yeah I've read alot about macros, my protein intake per day is pretty much spot on :happy:
  • stages95
    Options
    Way to break it down.

When i started running, i started slow (almost fast walk) and could only do 3 mins and had to stop. I worked my way up to a faster time and worked up to about 2 miles.

Keep it up

Aww that's great! I'm glad slowly building it up helped you too! I haven't yet gone out running, I need to invest in some running trainers and a heart rate mointor! :bigsmile: I'm looking to eventually try fit in at least 30mins of cardio per day