Breakfast Ideas

Options
Good Morning,

My mornings are pretty fast paced in my house hold. Both my husband and I teach. He is out the door by 6:15 and I am out the door by 7 am and I have a 17 month old. I was hoping you all would have some good and *healthy* breakfast ideas that work for you all. Thanks!
:smile:

Replies

• Siebes1
    Siebes1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Steel cut oats in the slow cooker. I usually make enough for the week, portion it out in containers and store in the fridge. In the morning i just grab a container and go! I usually add a bit of milk or water to thin it out so it's not a big clump of oats. There are tons of recipes online.

Boiled eggs work well also. Boil up a dozen and they will be ready when you are!
  • ThePeculiar
    Options
    I teach too, though the kids are much older. I use to have whole grain toast PB and apple butter every morning. Then I developed a wheat problem, so now I have a Fuji Apple cut up with two spoon culls of PB. I guess I take the apple thing seriously.
  • adridupes
    adridupes Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • nautiluver
    nautiluver Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I just made these breakfast sandwiches to give them a try - actually really good and didn't take that long to make. I used a food saver and sealed them individually so they can be grab and go heat up at work.

Recipe name - Breakfast sandwich

Number of servings 1
    Serves people1

Ingredients Calories Carbs Fat Protein Sugar Fiber
    Thomas English Muffin Lite - 1/3 Fiber English Muffin, 1 muffin 100 26 1 5 1 8 Ico_delete
    Morning Star - Original Sausage Patties-Veggie Patties, 1 patty 80 3 3 10 1 1 Ico_delete
    Great Value 100% Liquid Egg Whites Made From Eggs - , 6 TB (46g) 50 2 0 10 0 0 Ico_delete
    Kraft Singles - Skim Milk American Cheese Slice , 1 slice (19g) 25 2 0 4 1 0 Ico_delete

Add Ingredient

Total: 255 33 4 29 3 9
    Per Serving: 255 33 4 29 3 9
  • gsbrooks1
    Options
    bump
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    I'll make 2 dozen breakfast burritos on a Saturday and Sunday for my husband and I to take to school (we both teach middle school.)

We use: hashbrowns/tater tots/shredded potatoes, eggs, peppers, green chilies, onions, spinach, salsa, cheese etc. We'll mix everything up in a big bowl, wrap in a tortilla, and put them in the freezer. They reheat in less than 2 minutes in a microwave when they're completely frozen, and if you take one out of the freezer the night before, it's about 45 seconds to heat up.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I'm lazy i just throw fruit and greek yogurt in a blender.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    1/2 costco bagel toasted with a massive topping of regular Philly cream cheese. I like the jalapeño flavor the best. It works for me.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I teach too, and my husband does shift work, so one week in two he's out the door at 5:10am. I have a 4.5 year old who goes to school, and a 2 year old who goes to nursery. My 2 year old gets breakfast at nursery, but I have to make sure my 4 year old has breakfast before we leave. I either do poached eggs on toast, scrambled eggs, or porridge (oatmeal). I do the porridge in the microwave, it takes about 4.5 minutes. It doesn't take long to poach an egg either. I get up a bit early to make sure I have breakfast and I have something prepared for my son.
  • cooky_monster
    cooky_monster Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of low-calorie pancake recipes on this site, maybe you could make up a big batch at the weekend and freeze them in individual portions in freezer bags. Then you can just defrost in the microwave and top with fruit, maple syrup, PB or whatever you fancy! I used to do that a lot, it was a real time-saver in the mornings :happy:
    I recommend this:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/496546-low-calorie-pancakes-under-30-calories-each

However, when he says " 17 Servings" he actually means 17 individual pancakes, so a portion of say 4 would be under 120 calories, which is still pretty good :smile:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    There are tons of thread on the subject, do a search for more ideas.
  • MizzTweezy
    MizzTweezy Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I'm still working on the breakfast thing, I never ate it before but now I am, even if it is just a blended shake with Greek Yogurt, Almond milk and a tablespoon of PB with half a banana . If I am in a chocolate kind of mood I will toss in some unsweetened coco powder and a few packets of splenda if it isn't sweet enough.
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    There are tons of thread on the subject, do a search for more ideas.

Wow...the newbie just came on here to snark? That's precious.
  • arac62
    arac62 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt mixed with Kashi Go Lean original and a drizzle of honey. Tons of protein and fiber.
  • RamonaFr
    RamonaFr Posts: 112
    Options
    I mostly have a package of Belvita oatmeal breakfast biscuits and some coffee. It lasts me a long time, is easy and tastes really good. Of course, you all have to go to work, so you might need more sustenance than that -- I'm retired. I used to precook brown rice and eat some for breakfast with half an avocado and some salsa. That would last a long time, too. Brown rice reheats in the microwave really well.
  • stephv38
    stephv38 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I just discovered that a smoothie made the night before is still good the next AM... I thought it would separate or change texture... etc. I make up many different combo or use fitness recipes... So blend at night and grab and go in the morning!
  • JackiSto
    JackiSto Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have three standard go-tos:

1. low-carb tortilla + peanut butter + banana = banana roll-up! Quick, easy, and you can eat it on the go!
    2. oatmeal with peanut butter and truvia for a bit of sweetness. Tastes like a monster cookie!
    3. apple with almond or peanut butter.

Yes, yes I am obsessed with peanut butter. :)
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Anything can be eaten for breakfast.
    I nearly always have scrambled or boiled egg.
    Lately I have made baked potatoes and pulled them from the refrigerator in the morning, diced them up, topped with grated cheese and seasoning, and eat along with the eggs.
    Also I have a plain protein drink (100cals) called Designer Whey simply mixed with water and a whisk.
    The above breakfast really ties me over!

Another carb option in the morning is to make mixed wild rice, cool in the fridge, then place the chilled rice in a food processor to process until like fine crumbs. add in some steamed mixed veggies. Pull it from your fridge in the morning. Tastes great with cheese, salsa, avocado and of course scrambled egg.