Why the heck can't I drink more water?!

Options
So I have been relatively proud of myself this time around. In the past, I've created overly complicated diet and fitness plans that would give me great results for a couple weeks and then totally fall apart. Now I live by two rules:

1. Don't be or do worse than last time
2. Increase activity

I'm still just recording my habits whilst trying to change them but the results are starting to show. Since recommitting myself on Nov. 1 to my simple plan which involves:

Daily Minimum - Crunches and pushups that I can bang out really quickly at a minimum every day
Weekly goals - These are just tracked but they involve running, biking, walking, 1 day in the gym and yoga.
Diet - staying within calorie (and more importantly nutritional) limitis

I've lost 1.6kg, am no longer immediately winded when jogging, have been able to jog 5 miles/week, have biked 10-15 miles per week and have seriously increased my strength and endurance.

However, I STILL HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO DRINK ENOUGH WATER. There are a billion different suggestions out there for how much water to drink and I am consistently not even meeting the bare minimum of 8 glasses.

I'm sure my diet and fitness plan would benefit exponentially from a commitment to drinking water (because I feel great on the days when I properly hydrate) but I just keep forgetting to drink water. Even combining all of the other crap fluids I drink in a day (diet soda and juices) I barely meet my recommended fluid intake.

How do you guys stay hydrated throughout the day? Even when I carry my water bottle with me I forget about it until the end of the day.

Replies

• brunettegoddess
    brunettegoddess Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    What I do is in the morning I drink a big glass...not stopping even to breathe!! ;) Then before i eat a snack or eat any meal I slam another one. 6 glasses does a body good and actually helps me not eat as much!! Its kinda like if you want something good ya gotta do this first Good Luck!!
  • dokcha
    Options
    Have you tried eliminating sodas completely, and possibly juices as well? I really don't like drinking water, and I have a really hard time drinking it if it's in a glass. However, I eliminated sodas this past month completely (except for the rare times I go out to eat at a sit down restaurant), and have replaced it with bottled water. I've found when I get a cold bottled water, I can actually drink it pretty easily (and it doesn't last long ;-) ), and that's 2 cups of water right there. Just make sure if you buy bottled water that it's just plain natural spring water - you'd be surprised how many brands actually add SALT to their water, or other things that can even add calories. I still haven't worked my way up to 8 cups regularly, but I'm getting better, and usually can get at least 4-6 cups in easy.
  • randyv99
    randyv99 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping once I resume my classes next semester and I have a more standard routine that I'll remember to drink more water. At my job (where I am now) they have a water cooler and I can usually knock back a few glasses over my shift. But since my last trip to BJs when I purchased a bunch of Coke Zeros (a terrible idea, I know) I have been having a can of coke zero and more or less nothing else all night. I'll let this 32-pack run out then kick the juices and soda altogether. I really don't mind drinking water that much I just hate the thought of purchasing it (I figure I might as well be paying for something more than just the packaging) and just keep forgetting to drink it when I have it on me.

Going to try to that big glass in the morning and glass before meals thing as well.
  • KillerByteUK
    KillerByteUK Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Throughout the week while I'm at work, I tend to buy bottled water which makes it easier to track how much I've had.

At the petrol station next to where I work they sell 1.5 litre Evian bottles. I will buy one in the morning before work and another one in the afternoon - 3 litres equates to 12 cups of water. I'll also have a glass after exercising and at least one glass in the evening too.

I find it more difficult at the weekends, but have found that if I buy bottled water when I go out that it makes it easier to track and maintain the correct amount.
  • ginnyroxx
    Options
    I put crystal lite in my water. it's the only way i can get it all in.
  • MyWishfulShrinking
    Options
    I drink 16oz with every meal I have (5-6). I take sips between every bite and before I know it my water is gone and I didn't have to force myself to drink it.