How strictly do you calorie count?

Options

Replies

• NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I count everything I eat, but I do not weigh my food. I count pieces or slices or percentage of the package, and I sometimes measure with cups and spoons. Since I know I'm not being accurate, I tend to 'round up' and overestimate the amount. But I do log pretty much everything I eat. A handful of grapes, probably not. A bowl full of grapes, yes. Unsweetened tea, no. Sweetened tea, yes. I try to be responsible and log the things that will have an effect on my macros and total calories. I do log exercise, but not general daily walking-around.
  • briana12077
    briana12077 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I try to log everything but usually I'll mess up if I snack. Which I try to avoid. By snacking I mean eating a few chips, then a spoonfull of ice cream, then a few bites of this, and a tiny handful of that throughout the day. If this happens I take note and try to best figure out the calories and just add them in by quick add calories or something. I realized that weighing is important for high calorie foods such as peanut butter and salad dressing. If I don't measure those I could be WAY off and then wonder why I'm not losing weight but I just try to average out the best I can.
  • FattyFatsoMcTubby
    FattyFatsoMcTubby Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I count every calorie. If I go over on calories, I almost always do some extra walking or other calorie burning exercise to make it up, if not the same day, the next day.
  • lmd_1979
    lmd_1979 Posts: 130
    Options
    I log everything I eat. But I have gone over my calories today so will go for a long walk tomorrow. Btw does a day log go from Midnight to Midnight?
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    When you say you became restrictive, what do you mean? That you restricted your calories too much?
  • meaganrh19
    meaganrh19 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I log everything, but don't have a scale to weigh. I have to eyeball some stuff, but so far it is working for me.
  • LunaGreen
    LunaGreen Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I log nearly everything. I weight nearly everything I eat so I can log it.

When I make foods at home, I create a recipe here on MFP with all the ingredients and after its done cooking, I weight the food to determine how much of it should be one serving. This helps keep portions in check.

I dont log tastes when cooking or a bit of something small but I dont sample foods to the point that its going to be a huge amount anyway

I dont obsess about being exactly perfect but I do my best. I also try to leave around 50-100 cals "in the bank" to cover for the times that I am not spot on.

Some people call it anal and tedious to weigh and log everything but its the only way I can do it right now. I am not ready to step out on my own and think that I have a handle on it. I know I dont. I will forget how much I ate earlier in the day and go ahead and get the ice cream or potato chips thinking I have plenty of cals left. Its one of the reasons I got fat and I am not interested in being fat again.
    ^^^This
  • LessthanKris
    LessthanKris Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I do not weigh anything. I think that may be too tedious for me but who knows as I get closer to my goal and if I hit a snag. MFP has my calories are set at 1200 plus exercise calories so I am not too concernced if I go a little over since I am eating at such a low net.

I cook a lot at home so I do enter all of my recipes every week. I am trying to get better at logging everything I put in my mouth but right now I do not log if I have a couple M&Ms or a few goldfish.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    What do you think is the most effective way to count calories so that you don't feel like you are being controlled by it?

I count *everything* - and I made the choice to count calories - so I'm not the one being controlled, I'm the one doing the controlling.
  • SarahBGoodGirl
    Options
    I'm not strict at all about counting calories. I never have before I joined this site a few days ago. I like to eat until I feel satisfied and right now, I'm just starting to figure out what kinds of things make me feel full but give me the nutrition and calories my body needs without too much excess. I'm actually not worried about going over my calorie "goal" so long as I see improvements in my own body and feel good!
  • CharityGC
    CharityGC Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I typically do 90/10 or so. I weigh/measure most everything and count calories 90% of the time. But I generally have a meal here and there (usually out or at friends' houses) where I don't count at all. I may "quick add" some calories but I'm fine just skipping it entirely. It works for me.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I weigh the "big" items and measure what I can. I generally eat pretty simple meals (meat + 1-2 veggies) so it's not that difficult for me to log things. I do my best to ballpark it when I'm eating out but weighing isn't really an option at that point. That said, if we're talking trivial amounts of calories (e.g., mirepoix for a soup), I will just ballpark the ingredients. Other items (herbs and seasonings) I don't bother logging whatsoever.
  • sunshinenjjr
    sunshinenjjr Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I log anything over 50 calories. So if I had a single Lifesaver, I'm not going to bother. If you aren't seeing weight loss in several weeks, 50 calories/day isn't going to be the culprit, so that's why I don't bother.
    Some people log everything, some people measure everything, and others may log only occasionally or only most things and eyeball all the food portions. The key is to find the system that works best for you, helps you lose weight, and is something you'll stick with.

This
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything .. and yes I am a nut. I don't deny it .. but some OCD is a good thing in this regard. Keeps me moving forward and successful.
  • lyndor90
    Options
    I will log and weigh everything.... I will also underestimate calories burnt on exercise so I'm not tempted to overeat..

I may not put my tomatoe sauce on it though...
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I log every bite. I once spent twenty minutes trying to figure out the calories in ONE sour cream & onion potato chip. I was a woman on a mission and my fiance thought I was being ridiculous.

It's six, if anyone wants to know.
  • thesimsisters
    thesimsisters Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I log every single thing. I hate logging and going over, but it keeps me honest and let's me know what extra I need to do to make up for it. I do not weigh anything. But I do measure out for my recipes and portion it out evenly.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    I weigh and measure everything except coffee .
  • YvonneBerdkan
    YvonneBerdkan Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I usually log everything I eat, but I always over estimate and end up putting in more than I actually ate just in case as a safety net.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    On that note, I just bought a food scale. Used a BedBathBeyond coupon too:)