The Biggest Mistake I Ever Made...

Options
I allowed myself to binge for about six days over the course of three week beginning around the middle of October. It was about three month into my weight loss journey and I was at my lowest weight yet. I probably won't reach my goal weight by the end of November now, and I regret it completely. I have since not gone over my calories in attempt to reconcile before the end of the month.

What is your biggest mistake?

Replies

• KillerByteUK
    KillerByteUK Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My biggest mistake was allowing myself to get to my starting weight in the first place.

Sure there have been slip-ups along the way already (only been doing this 2 weeks though) but I'm pleased with my progress so far.

It sounds like you're back on the wagon though so don't punish yourself - look forward to what might be and not back on what was.

We all make mistakes - we just need to learn to move on. :smile:
  • dukedeh
    dukedeh Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Goals are great, and give you something to shoot for. But if you don't reach them, that's OK too. Keep moving in the right direction!!
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    +1 @KillerByteUK

However, my biggest mistake since starting my weight-loss program this time was trying too hard with exercise. I injured my back running too far/too long and am still seeing a physio to try to sort out the problems.

There's no point being the target weight if you can't walk!

Fortunately, I should be ok in another few weeks though, but steady progress is the key.
  • ambearlynn
    Options
    My biggest mistake was not taking control with my weight when I knew I was slipping up. Earlier this year, I was 20 pounds lighter than I am right now, that being in January. I knew I was slipping up, after I had worked so hard to lose 30 pounds and get down to that weight, but I just continued to eat badly and avoid exercise as I got more and more stressed out with school and life, causing me to gain back majority of the weight that I had worked so hard to lose.
  • stella77
    stella77 Posts: 282
    Options
    My biggest mistake - I started smoking again after I had my baby.
    It would have been much easier to get fitter without it!
  • butterflyfaerie
    butterflyfaerie Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with binging. This is one of the many attempts I've taken at dieting, but normally it lasts a few weeks, then one weight gain week, and I'll throw it all out the window. But I have a clear goal in the distance, I have something inspiring me hanging in my room, and every time I think about throwing it in now, I look at it, and it reminds me to keep going even if I do have bad weeks.
  • moniquejanaeh
    moniquejanaeh Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My biggest mistake was not taking control with my weight when I knew I was slipping up. Earlier this year, I was 20 pounds lighter than I am right now, that being in January. I knew I was slipping up, after I had worked so hard to lose 30 pounds and get down to that weight, but I just continued to eat badly and avoid exercise as I got more and more stressed out with school and life, causing me to gain back majority of the weight that I had worked so hard to lose.

Slip ups are tough. I have a very similar situation. My starting weight this year was 208. I had gotten down to 180 and lost control of things. I was stressed about school, work, and everything. I was avoiding exercise and eating waaayyy too much fast food. I'm now at 197 and regret getting myself back up here. Big Mistake! But I'm ready to get back down and past it to my goal
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    My biggest mistake was allowing myself to get to my starting weight in the first place.

Sure there have been slip-ups along the way already (only been doing this 2 weeks though) but I'm pleased with my progress so far.

It sounds like you're back on the wagon though so don't punish yourself - look forward to what might be and not back on what was.

We all make mistakes - we just need to learn to move on. :smile:
    I wish I could say gaining my old weight was a mistake. I was always chubby - overweight since elementary school. It just happened. I didn't even realize it till I got into the 8th grade and I really looked at myself.

e: I am not moping about my biggest mistake, but I thought it would be nice for others to vent about a mistake they did. Hopefully, it will motivate them moving forward like it does for me.
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Probably doing too much cardio and not enough resistance training when I was well overweight and wanting to lose weight quickly. I certainly did lose a lot of weight (about 50lbs) but I lost a lot of strength at the same time which reduced my BMR and made me gain weight easily. It has taken me quite a while to surpass the strength of the old "big me" but I have now done it. Now continuing in that direction :)
  • Knbrooks42
    Knbrooks42 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    My biggest mistake was letting myself become as overweight as I have. Ever since I was little (probably 2nd grade), I had the mentality that I was bigger than everyone else. I think that negatively affected me, because instead of trying to keep it in check, I just used it as an excuse to eat whatever and whenever I wanted. Finally getting on track of things.
  • ninx123
    Options
    My biggest mistake was losing 30 lbs and being SO proud of myself, then going to New York City and not getting back on the wagon for 6 months. I gained 15 lbs back, but I'm on my way to my GW now!

LOVE MFP.