32 feeling 42

Options
My quest to drop 10lbs. In reality i need to lose about 50 but focused on the first 10. Ive done quite a bit of reading and cardio daily. Resistance training every other day. Meat and potatoes kind of guy so its hard to find things with in my diet. I hate calling it a diet because what it needs to be is a life change. Few questions

why are Potatoes, rice, bread bad? i always eat wheat, only baked potatoes.

Whats a good low cal low fat dressing that tastes good?

Replies

• BeckyGee84
    BeckyGee84 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I've been avoiding "white" foods myself without really thinking about why. I just figured they were bad. Then I found this article.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/truth-about-white-foods

I think fat free Italian dressing tastes pretty good. But you're probably better off making your own salad dressing because even the fat free ones have a lot of sodium per serving. I don't really like many veggies, but every time I go to the grocery store, I buy a new random veggie and try it to see if I might like it. Feel free to add me as a friend, if you'd like! :)
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    You lose weight by eating at a deficit. You can eat anything if it fits your macros. Anything.

Start here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • eaglesguy1981j
    Options
    I've been avoiding "white" foods myself without really thinking about why. I just figured they were bad. Then I found this article.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/truth-about-white-foods

I think fat free Italian dressing tastes pretty good. But you're probably better off making your own salad dressing because even the fat free ones have a lot of sodium per serving. I don't really like many veggies, but every time I go to the grocery store, I buy a new random veggie and try it to see if I might like it. Feel free to add me as a friend, if you'd like! :)

Great article thank you. I wondered about it and really potatoes and rice are natural. I can see processed carbs being bad for you. While I'm sure they aren't as good as veggies and such.
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I'm trying with Veggies also but I don't get a lot at this time.

I agree, go with the deficit first. switching out what your body can 'process' better is one thing.... less of the white stuff... but if you love a potatoe, as I do, then eat it and keep it within your limits!
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Eat anything you want that fits in your calorie goal. As long as you're eating less than you burn, you'll lose weight.
    Aim for .5-1lb per week so you won't feel like you're starving.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    You lose weight by eating at a deficit. You can eat anything if it fits your macros. Anything.

Start here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

This too.
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    and by the way I'm 48 and feel 32. :)
  • JohnDowding
    JohnDowding Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed reading the book "Why we get fat", but Gary Taubes. The low-carb approach is certainly not without controversy, but it's working great for myself and several of my friends.
  • socomary
    Options
    Watch the "Fat Free" labels, as they usually have added sugar (or some form of sugar - honey, corn syrup, etc.), salad dressing included.
  • SunkissedBrownSugga
    Options
    Whats a good low cal low fat dressing that tastes good?
    zesty Italian I love it!
  • eaglesguy1981j
    Options
    Over the last 3 days ive consumed about 3500 calories total. Ive burned about 1000 at the gym the last few days as well. Now I dont feel hungry. I drink a ton of water and well below my values. I feel like im on the right track. Finding things to eat is a challenge.
  • pandamorous
    pandamorous Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Keep it up! The hardest part in my extremely limited experience has been sticking with it.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    Meat and potatoes are really very healthy by themselves. It's what we add to them that takes us over the calorie limit. Try tweaking the recipes you love. My meat and potatoes hubby now loves oven fries dipped in low sugar ketchup. I now limit our sour cream based pot roast gravies to once in awhile, not several times a month. The little things can add up to weight gain, eliminating or limiting the little things can help us lose weight. Since this is a forever project, you might as well make it enjoyable.
  • eaglesguy1981j
    Options
    Well I really have no excuses. Im a custodian at night and clean the schools rec center. So im already there before and after work. Its the eating part i need to get ahold of.