Is brown sugar or honey a better sweetner choice?

Options
LacieLamp
LacieLamp Posts: 109 Member
Is there a reason to pick one or another or is it just personal preference?

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Personal preference.
  • Sapphire3002
    Sapphire3002 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Honey is better for you, brown sugar is really just white sugar with molasses added to it. I like it, but not good for you at all and sometimes dye is added.
  • LacieLamp
    LacieLamp Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    ^^ok thats what i was thinking. Thank you Sapphire.
  • Sapphire3002
    Sapphire3002 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    :)
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
  • earthsember
    earthsember Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Agreeing with Sapphire - but watch your honey source, as many things in the store labeled "honey" are not, and many contain added ingredients as well (including HFCS, yuck). Real honey is reported to have many health benefits, as long as you're just consuming a reasonable amount :)
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    ^^ok thats what i was thinking. Thank you Sapphire.

Honey is not better for you.

It is personal preference, period.
  • bird_3_lee
    bird_3_lee Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    it really is your own choice. there are other natural sweetner options too such as stevia and agave necter they are both sweet natural lower in calories than honey or brown sugar and low GI
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    Agave Nectar is the best
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Personal preference based on taste and belief of sugar hype.
  • MissTea3112
    MissTea3112 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Honey for sure, though just looking at calorie count I think they are pretty much the same so personal preference if that is all you are considering.

Honey contains flavonoids, antioxidants that help reduce the risk of some cancers and heart disease. It has been shown to help with helping in the treatment of ulcers and bacterial gastroenteritis. This may be because honey is anti-bacterial and anti-fungal.

Honey has been proven to be superior in maintaining glycogen levels and improving recovery time better than other sweetners, which is why it was a favourite of the Ancient Olympic athletes to help improve their performance.

Honey helps with coughs and throat irritation. especially buckwheat honey. It has been proven to be just as effective as dextromethorphan in relieving nocturnal coughing.

You can use honey to help heal wounds and burns. It has been shown to be just as effective as treatment with silver sulfadiazne.

Some varieties are great probiotics,

It is a great ingredient to home made natural facial masks and cleansers.

Based on all that I don't think it is said to be better based on just the belief of the sugar hype, honey really does have properties that make it better for you. I didn't even mention the studies that have been done on it helping to control blood sugar levels! Honey has been around for a long time and is completely natural, especially if you buy unpasteurized honey. Heck you can go out and get it your self if you can find and are brave enough to go up to a natural hive! Stick a comb in a jar and voila. Better than a processed sugar? Definitely!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Honey was a favorite of the Ancient Greeks because it was all they had, not because they preferred it to other types. Sugarcane didn't exist in Ancient Greece.
  • MTGirl4Life
    MTGirl4Life Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Bump to see comments.
  • MissTea3112
    MissTea3112 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Honey was a favorite of the Ancient Greeks because it was all they had, not because they preferred it to other types. Sugarcane didn't exist in Ancient Greece.

That may be true, but modern science has proven that it is superior to other sweeteners for maintaining glycogen levels. After all it is unlikely that the ancient Olympians actually knew that that was the reason it helped their performance. In other words, it was compared to sweeteners that the ancient Olympians would not have had access too, and still shown as it is better.
  • EatingThisNotThat
    Options
    Honey for sure, though just looking at calorie count I think they are pretty much the same so personal preference if that is all you are considering.

Honey contains flavonoids, antioxidants that help reduce the risk of some cancers and heart disease. It has been shown to help with helping in the treatment of ulcers and bacterial gastroenteritis. This may be because honey is anti-bacterial and anti-fungal.

Honey has been proven to be superior in maintaining glycogen levels and improving recovery time better than other sweetners, which is why it was a favourite of the Ancient Olympic athletes to help improve their performance.

Honey helps with coughs and throat irritation. especially buckwheat honey. It has been proven to be just as effective as dextromethorphan in relieving nocturnal coughing.

You can use honey to help heal wounds and burns. It has been shown to be just as effective as treatment with silver sulfadiazne.

Some varieties are great probiotics,

It is a great ingredient to home made natural facial masks and cleansers.

Based on all that I don't think it is said to be better based on just the belief of the sugar hype, honey really does have properties that make it better for you. I didn't even mention the studies that have been done on it helping to control blood sugar levels! Honey has been around for a long time and is completely natural, especially if you buy unpasteurized honey. Heck you can go out and get it your self if you can find and are brave enough to go up to a natural hive! Stick a comb in a jar and voila. Better than a processed sugar? Definitely!

Everything she said!