Log before or after you eat?

Options

Replies

• kellycp1978
    kellycp1978 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Whenever possible I plan out the entire next day the previous evening and then during that day make adjustments as needed. If I go into the day with a plan I find it easier to stay on track.
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Whenever I can I do it before. That way I can ensure I won't go over.
  • xLucky_Virgox
    xLucky_Virgox Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am all about pre logging. If I know what I'm having the next day I will log that as well. I find when I log before I eat I tend to make better choices.
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Before, I like to have some idea...
    But sometimes after happens, usually breakfasts are after but that's ok because I can adjust the rest of my day around it.

Fail to plan is planning to fail.

But then I do sometimes pre log whole days then find that I get there and change my mind and it takes soooo long to delete and change and bleh I hate myself as I do it lol.
    X
  • mlint007
    mlint007 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I log everything before I eat. I pretty much wake up for a taste for something and it never fades as the day goes on.
  • KeepCalmNGetyaSweatOn
    Options
    I log the whole day ahead of me. It makes it so much easier. There's no guessing, wanting, hoping, praying, or wishing when it comes to my calorie totals for the day. I wake up that day and don't have to wonder and figure out what I have to eat. Works well when I do it! :smile:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I log in advance, usually at least a couple of days in advance. Sometimes I have to adjust things but at least I have a general idea of what I'm doing.
  • Nicole_gets_a_grip
    Options
    Lunch and breakfast - after!

Dinner - before so I know how much I can snack on in the evening!
  • jimlambrt2
    jimlambrt2 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    How could you hit your macros or your daily totals by logging after you've eaten? You'd just be documenting what you did wrong. No? You've already eaten it, so there's no way to make an adjustment. It's already "in your belly".

I log before... usually the night before. Make a plan for the next day and leave "200-300" calories available for adjustments, based on how hungry I am during the day. Then I just stick to the plan the next day.
  • spiffychick85
    spiffychick85 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    After breakfast, during lunch and before dinner.

^^^ thats me. I have very little time in the morning...so I typically log breakfast and lunch during my lunch break at work. Then with dinner I'm home and have more time to log before I eat. Granted during the work week I eat the same things everyday for breakfast and lunch.
  • AeternityMiserealis
    Options
    Before so I don't use up all my calories unknowingly. :S
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    yeah, I usually have my diary set by breakfast...wait to complete it until i get enough water
  • Purple_Orchid_87
    Purple_Orchid_87 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I pre-log everything i plan to eat, and then change the values as Im preparing and cooking - if I find a leave over half of one thing on my plate, i'll change my log, but usually cooking smaller portions so finish my plate which isnt so bad because its healthier food

if I log after i find i go waaaay over on some parts and then get down and want to give up

im actually sat here are 00:42 on a Saturday night planning what I want to eat on Sunday - of course things may change, someone may invite me out for food, but its nice to be organised
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    After. Easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. Perhaps I'll graduate to the before category one day :laugh: You can't fix it once it's in your tummy but you can course correct the next day or week...
  • diadia1
    diadia1 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Both. I make a plan for the day then adjust or change as the day goes by.

exactly this.
    i usually pre-log everything until supper time. then the left over calories go for the supper and the evening snack.
  • 1ZenGirl
    1ZenGirl Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I've started logging before I eat. I actually plan the entire day. Makes my life a lot easier. Of course things happen but I like to try and plan.
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I log before so I can make adjustments if necessary.
  • Aes37850
    Options
    I have an idea of how many calories I am going to eat in what I normally eat. So I try to do a bit of both as well. I know approximately how much my breakfasts and snacks will be. And then I adjust for whatever dinner or lunch I have that day. I try to mix it up so I'm not eating the same thing every day either. But having measuring cups and a little scale handy for food (think I paid maybe $10 or so for one from walmart that gets the job done) is so helpful! The scanner helps me loads too! Good luck!
  • llonka
    llonka Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I try to do it before, to make sure I don't go over. But in my house, we are pretty random and plans change quickly.
  • Eli716
    Eli716 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I log a day head so I can make sure I have some leeway here and there.