So much for low impact

Options
I'm about two weeks into doing cardio on a near daily basis, after 4 decades of never having set foot on a treadmill or elliptical machine. A few days I started feeling mild pain at the bottom, front, center of my knee. I generally only hurts when going up/down stair, though occasionally kicks in during straight/level walking.

Today when I hit the elliptical, it only took a few steps to realize that wasn't going to happen. I moved to the treadmill and it was generally ok for about 30 minutes, though then started to kick in.

Thoughts?

Replies

• eaglesguy1981j
    Options
    I believe what you are feeling are shin splints. Very common with people not active that become active. Go as long as you can till you can't. Stop and switch to a different machine.
  • pandamorous
    pandamorous Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    is it below your knee on the top of your tibia (shin bone)?
  • seever
    seever Posts: 30
    Options
    Immediately below my knee, if not in my knee itself, center, front of my leg.
  • jbuzzo58
    jbuzzo58 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it may be bursitis.. I usually get it in my knee after I've been away from the gym and then overdue it with a repetitive motion like the elliptical. I just got over a bout about 3 weeks ago and the pain lasted about 10 days
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    This sounds like a question for a doctor. Asking medical advice from random internet strangers can be dangerous.

Posts by members, moderators and admins should not be considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy.
  • ils_1231
    ils_1231 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I've had knee problems since I turned 12. I actually have to tape my patella in place when I do activities like running or tennis. If you can and have time I recommend swimming. Ive never had any pain from swimming.
  • avocadoshaped
    avocadoshaped Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Not to be construed with medical advice see a qualified doctor.

Do you get the clickys in the knees too. There are a billion reasons why from tendon problems to meniscus tears.

I find that the elliptical hurts more than the treadmill because it keeps the knee in one plane.

See a doctor, try the rowing machine, and RICE the knees post work out. Have a google for "Runners Knee" Your symptoms are not uncommon.

Best of Luck

Not to be construed with medical advice, see a qualified doctor.
  • pandamorous
    pandamorous Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Although I am a doctor, I would caution that you're best helped by a physician whom you see in person. For pain where you're describing and what you describe there are several possibilties that come to mind. A quadriceps insertion injury/partial tear would give you that pattern of pain about where you describe, along with bursitis as previously mentioned, and tendon meniscus problems. Unfortunately the knee is a complex joint and without seeing you in person I'm afraid there's a lot of possiblities. Fortunately the advice that has already been given, such as RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation) and adequate stretching are excellent recommendations, along with switching up your activity. I'm sorry I couldn't be more help, but I do think you should have it evaluated when you can especially if it gets worse. If you have any other questions feel free to message me and I'll help how I can. Good luck!
  • seever
    seever Posts: 30
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback.

No clicks, swelling, bruising, or anything other than the pain I described.

In looking up runners knee and bursitis, bursitis looks a lot closer. It actually seems to describe it quite well.

I am of course not looking for a medical diagnosis from a message board. Being inactive for so many years, I however expect that if I go to the doctor with every knee creak or when I'm uncomfortable, I'll be living in his waiting room. Should it get worse, I'll certainly see someone.
  • svenena
    svenena Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It's generally recommended that you increase exercise gradually, as sudden increases mean you're more likely to get injuries, as you've discovered. If you've gone from nothing to daily, that's quite a jump. It takes a while for muscles to build and strengthen.

There are loads of beginners programmes online you can follow to build your exercise up safely, by starting off doing gentle exercise three days a week, with rest days in between and gradually increasing intensity and frequency.