I LOVE chocolate :(

Options
So I am completely in love with chocolate. I NEED to have some every day, but it gets to be expensive. I have thought about whey protein or slim fast type drinks just so I get something healthy out of it. I am always baking something with chocolate. I cook a lot of gourmet meals and gourmet deserts. I wish I did not love chocolate as much as I did. I would say chocolate is the only thing I might be addicted to. So what does everyone here do instead of eating chocolate? What is a good substitute? Does anything really take the place of chocolate? I have tried carob, and hate it.

Replies

• Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's a substitute for good chocolate. I eat chocolate almost every day. I work it in to my diary and never regret a single bite.
  • franzhaydn
    Options
    Amen! Carob is like the beggar outside the gate of the chocolate king's castle!
    Honestly there is no substitute. I save up and buy expensive chocolate - the dark raw stuff with only 4 ingredients. It's delicious, I can't overdose because of the $6/bar price and it's not bad for me.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    You may wish to get your electrolytes checked. Strong chocolate cravings usually indicated the body is low on magnesium. Dark leafy greens help also. Nuts & seeds are too. I myself don't crave chocolate as much as I just like a hot drink. I don't drink coffee or hot tea, so I like hot cocoa. I make mine from protein-fortified non-fat milk, Dutch cocoa, and a little bit of Splenda. Microwave the milk first for 2 min and stir in the cocoa powder & splenda. It fixes the chocolate, is an awesome source of protein, and I get my calcium, too!

You can also limit yourself to Hershey Dark Kisses. @ 20 cal ea, its a great way to fix that habbit. Freeze the choc then suck on em, makes em last longer.

Other than that, you'll just have to factor in your calories and work it into your calorie budget. :wink:

(sheesh typos are a given at 10:30pm)
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's a substitute for good chocolate. I eat chocolate almost every day. I work it in to my diary and never regret a single bite.

QFT, there is no need to eliminate something that is perfectly natural and healthy used in moderation.
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I buy good quality dark chocolate and eat some almost daily.
  • kymber2280
    Options
    I also was addicted to chocolate when I wasn't eating right or exercising. I found that once I changed my habits, the addiction went away. When I do need a bit of chocolate I will make a cocoa powder and banana smoothie or a brownie in a cup and I feel satisfied :)

Brownie in a cup ( 180 cal )

- 2 tbsp of Trader Joes reduced guilt brownie mix
    - 1 tbsp of low fat vanilla yogurt

mix together in a microwave safe mug or small dish until batter is smooth and creamy ( takes a bit of stiring ) and microwave on high for 45 sec.
    let cool and enjoy!
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    The substitute for chocolate is.....chocolate.

Chocolate itself is not usually the problem. Sometimes people eliminate it because of high calories, or sugar, or something like that. Look at why you want to eliminate it, and work on that root cause. As example, 85% Dark chocolate can be used in lieu of a lower %, for a diet limiting sugar. Same goes for cocoa dusted almonds or hazelnuts. There's high likelihood that you can have chocolate, just need to be clear what your calorie and macro goals are.
  • emmy724
    emmy724 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone! It isn't really a matter of not having enough calories left over to indulge, I usually do. It just drives me nuts to want something like that. I blame chocolate for making me fat ( I know I really did it but..) and worried the chocolate is trying to sabotage me Ha ha. I do find that I need very little dark chocolate to calm a craving compared to milk chocolate.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    My wife craved steak and oranges (at the same time) many times during her pregnancy, and she was anemic during periods then...

She thought it was weird to her and commented to the effect to me. I quickly explained the connection of the two for the optimalization of iron absorption (though much like my disdain for K from bananas, citrus isn't really the only great source or vitamin C).

Point being, dark chocolate is pretty high in essential minerals, and there may be a good reason to eat it. I'd try to fit into your diet if the craving seems beyond rational.
  • queenbear5
    queenbear5 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I used to be a total chocoholic. I would eat it all day long... And feel guilty continually. The only thing that helped me was self-hypnosis. I haven't touched chocolate since. It's really easy to learn and is totally worth the time it takes. So glad to be free of the addiction!
  • luvmydog2
    luvmydog2 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    :wink: Chocolate is my weakness also ... But i keep dark rum and raisin chocolate in my fridge ... because i find a little takes that craving away :laugh:
    Dont drink alcohol or smoke ... So cant see why i cant have my chocolate .:bigsmile: But i wash it down with water so that has to be a good thing . :smile:
  • lemymi
    lemymi Posts: 5
    Options
    I'm a chocoholic too! It's my go-to food when I'm feeling happy, sad, hungry, bored, blah blah blah.

I used to substitute my choco cravings with coffee.
    Dark chocolate sugar free self serve fro yo (with no toppings) is awesome, sugar free pudding cups (if you don't mind sugar substitutes)
    Hot chocolate is amazing too, I'll only use half of an individual serving bag and use skim milk. yum yum :)
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    My wife craved steak and oranges (at the same time) many times during her pregnancy, and she was anemic during periods then...

She thought it was weird to her and commented to the effect to me. I quickly explained the connection of the two for the optimalization of iron absorption (though much like my disdain for K from bananas, citrus isn't really the only great source or vitamin C).

Point being, dark chocolate is pretty high in essential minerals, and there may be a good reason to eat it. I'd try to fit into your diet if the craving seems beyond rational.

This. Always go with the cravings. Our bodies are smarter than we know.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Dark chocolate is actually pretty good for you, so you don't need to avoid it or opt for chocolate-flavored things. One or two squares a day can be part of a healthy, balanced diet.

I love dark chocolate chips. I'll throw a few in anything to make it chocolate-y. Lately, I've been having some in my oatmeal. I use Lily's vegan dark chocolate chips, which are sweetened with stevia, so they're pretty low in calories.

Also, I love adding cocoa powder to hot unsweetened almond milk for low-calorie hot chocolate!