Considering a Mud Run

Options
I have never run a 5k or any other type of race (except relay races in elementary school). I am currently working through the C25K training plan AND am also doing lots of strength training (routines courtesy of bodbot). I've lost 28 lbs and have a lot more to go. I want a fitness goal. I think I want to do a mud run. There's one in my area on April 4 which give me about 3 months of training.

Is it unreasonable for me to think that I can accomplish this goal in 3 months?

Replies

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    not unreasonable at all!! you have plenty of time to prepare and train for it. your goal is to finish with a smile on your face.

what race is it?
  • FitStelley
    FitStelley Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    One of the ones I was looking at is lozilu, and the date is actually April 12. I'm still checking to see what my options are, but I think it would be FUN! I know that training for the run would be more motivation than just training to keep losing weight. Also, I love accomplishing goals.
  • bmason67
    bmason67 Posts: 886
    Options
    I ran the Warrior Dash last summer for the first time. it was a blast!
  • DancingOnCloud9
    DancingOnCloud9 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    HELL NO, it isn't unreasonable!!!

The mud run was my first K anything and I did it with zero training and 70lbs to lose. I didn't sprint it by any means, but I finished it. (I was a last minute entry and jumped in with co-workers) You could definitely manage it and you'll have 3 months of training to help!

The thing I liked about the mud run is that the obstacles keep you busy enough that you don't concentrate on the distance. I think, by the time I was done, there were two obstacles that I couldn't complete, but considering my level of fitness, I wasn't worried about it and neither were the other runners, (both fit and non-fit alike were supportive and encouraging). I also had a friend who was is also out of shape do it with me. We laughed, yelled, and stumbled our way through the course....and it was a blast!

You should do it and embrace the challenge, but don't compare yourself to others. Relish in your success of doing it and train more in area's that you want to improve. :smile:
  • FitStelley
    Options
    If I do it, I'm pretty sure my 15 & 13 yo daughters will want to join me. That would make it more fun for sure.
  • westendcurls
    westendcurls Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Do it!!! they are sooo fun and really great for beginners!! the lines to get through the obstacles give you a chance to catch your breath and everyone is there to have a fun
  • FitStelley
    Options
    I'm sold!

Next step: Pick a race and get the hubby on board.

Currently he's afraid of me getting hurt so I'm hoping that as I train and show him how strong I'm getting he'll calm down a bit.
  • nikijh
    nikijh Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm actually looking into entering the no ego challenge in May, currently do no running at all only cycling so I'm hoping by the end of this month I'll notice if it's feasible!
  • ElizabethH14
    Options
    I've never done a mud run but have just signed up for one in August. Very nervous but really excited and its a great motivator to have something to train for.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    The mud runs are great because sometimes they aren't even timed, and even when they are, you can't compare it to any other race because of all the obstacles, so it's kind of like a gimme - a stress-free running event.

Two quick stories:

I ran one with my fiancé thinking it would be a fun first for him, and he hated it - he's not terribly agile, which is pretty important in a mud run. He also doesn't really like to get dirty, lol - another complication when participating in a mud run. But even after some complaining during the race, he's absolutely pleased with himself for finishing it and occasionally brags about having completed it. :)

I ran another mud run with a friend who was literally half-lit during the race. It was unbelievably hysterical and fun for both of us (I was stone sober but watching her was awesome, lol).

So ... I say, go for it! And smile the whole time - they are not meant to be serious runs.