Protein Shakes for weight loss

Options
2»

Replies

• racnsdd
    racnsdd Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I like optimized nutrition vanilla ice creamn flavor. It mixes well or good on its own
  • ProteinMilkshakeBar
    Options
    You can download a free copy of The Dessert Diet here. Lot's of delicious protein shake & smoothie recipes inside :)!

https://www.proteinmilkshakebar.com/
  • Love4fitnesslove4food2
    Options
    My personal opinion - shakeology is expensive and a waste of money. Look on e-bay and have a look. I picked up USN Diet Fuel which I mix with matrix anabolic. loads of protein, cheap and it doesn't destroy my taste buds :-)

In my opinion, depends what you compare it to. It definitively has a high cost, no argument on that, but it's value is way more than what it costs.

How much would it cost you to have 1 meal of nutritious food? $7, $10, way more even? Compare that to one serving of Shakeology costing $4. Shakeology is not a protein shake. It's a meal replacement. I take it and find it the best investment I've done. Keeps me healthy, subbed my multi-vitamins, keeps me regulated, and much more .. to me that beats spending money at the doctors, being sick or not having at lease one meal per day that has all nutrients my body needs to run properly. No brainer.

A healthy meal....let's see...

1 medium sweet potato: .75
    6 oz chicken breast: 2
    1 medium zucchini: .75

Total: 3.50 + negligible amount of oil, spices, condiments = 3.75 maybe and much more filling than shakeology.

Or let's do breakfast...

2 eggs: .75
    1 slice ezekiel bread (toasted): .25
    1 tbsp almond butter: .25
    1 banana: .25

Total: $1.50
  • iamMLH
    iamMLH Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    A healthy meal....let's see...

1 medium sweet potato: .75
    6 oz chicken breast: 2
    1 medium zucchini: .75

Total: 3.50 + negligible amount of oil, spices, condiments = 3.75 maybe and much more filling than shakeology.

Or let's do breakfast...

2 eggs: .75
    1 slice ezekiel bread (toasted): .25
    1 tbsp almond butter: .25
    1 banana: .25

Total: $1.50

Shakeology is too expensive for me, and doesn't have the calories I need to come close to hitting my goals. I do think it's pretty healthy and incredibly convenient, which adds a lot to the value for me. And even though it sounds like marketing, I really do love the way it tastes (though I know a lot that's hit or miss.
  • iamMLH
    iamMLH Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty lucky to really like the whey (couldn't help myself) protein shakes taste. One thing that helps with that is that I have a pretty simple pallet and don't eat a lot of sweets. The shake really is a treat for me.

If you don't like the flavor, I would definitely ask around, and if you know people who are currently using protein as well, see if you can try some of theirs. Another piece of advice is to make sure you read the proportions on the tub. Too little powder or not mixed well can make a huge difference.

I also love to add cinnamon. I add it to chocolate and vanilla.

Finally, I make instant oatmeal in the mornings and add protein, peanut butter and cinnamon to that. It's like eating a star crunch. It's the most decadent part of my day, and it gets me off to a really nice start.

I hope that helps.
  • laurelobrien
    laurelobrien Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    There is nothing inherently healthy or weight-loss-causing about protein shakes... Why replace a meal? Just eat a meal. I make protein shakes because they're convenient and a fast way to get a lot of protein in if I haven't had enough, but if you have time then just sit down and eat food you don't hate.

However, I will say that there are lots of whey brands that are pretty delicious - ON and Isopure have great chocolate flavours, especially when blended with milk and some ice.
  • droxeene
    droxeene Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm using protein shakes as meal replacements. I'm having a hard time gagging them down though....they taste horrible!!! Any advice or recipes that would help?

I drink an Atkins Advantage shake (premade) for breakfast on most workdays. For some reason I don't like eating early in the morning so this works for me! It keeps me from getting hungry until my lunch about 3-4 hours later.
    They have 15 grams of protein & about 160 calories. (Since it's lower in calories I can add more to my lunch & dinner-a plus for me!)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    My personal opinion - shakeology is expensive and a waste of money. Look on e-bay and have a look. I picked up USN Diet Fuel which I mix with matrix anabolic. loads of protein, cheap and it doesn't destroy my taste buds :-)

In my opinion, depends what you compare it to. It definitively has a high cost, no argument on that, but it's value is way more than what it costs.

How much would it cost you to have 1 meal of nutritious food? $7, $10, way more even? Compare that to one serving of Shakeology costing $4. Shakeology is not a protein shake. It's a meal replacement. I take it and find it the best investment I've done. Keeps me healthy, subbed my multi-vitamins, keeps me regulated, and much more .. to me that beats spending money at the doctors, being sick or not having at lease one meal per day that has all nutrients my body needs to run properly. No brainer.

shakeology is overpriced protein shake.
  • jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    Options

shakeology is overpriced protein shake.

Let me correct you.......Shakeology is overpriced meal replacement.
    She clearly said that it "is not a protein shake."

I have no idea where Beachbody pulls these numbers.......$7 or $10 or more for 1 meal of nutritious food? Where in the hell are you shopping? If you are spending $7 - $10 for your nutritious meals, I think it's time to hire a financial adviser before you jump on the Shakeology bandwagon..........and even after paying a financial adviser, you're still paying less that what Shakeology costs.