How strictly do you calorie count?

Options
13»

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,022 Member
    Options
    I log everything I eat. But I have gone over my calories today so will go for a long walk tomorrow. Btw does a day log go from Midnight to Midnight?

I thought it went from when you click 'finish logging for today' and clicked on to next day.

In practice, for most people unless they work night shift, going to bed at end of day is end of that day, when you wake up next morning is start of next day.

Op, I have loosened my calorie counting now that Ive been doing it for almost a year.

I do weigh vegetables, cheese, dried fruit, meat - but things like eggs or bananas I just log as the same each time - I don't measure them, I just take it on a 'law of averages' - where I have recorded 1 egg or banana, I take it every other one will average out to about the same.

If I am going out and eating, I just estimate the portion and take the closest thing in MFP data base.
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I log everything that hits my mouth or try to log it before it even hits my mouth. So say I am going out with friends and we are going to eat at Olive Garden. I menu surf on MFP to see what is going to keep me in my calories and keep me losing weight :). It is all about Calories In and Calories Out.
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I've counted calories for years... Became very obsessive int the past, even when I wanted to maintain.

However, I will say this: Once I stopped calorie counting in 2011, I started to gradually and slowly put on weight to where I am at now, or where I was nearly a month ago, i should say.

I think calorie counting is a very good tool. It can help you lose weight, maintain, and even gain. I've used calorie counting to gain as well at one point.

If you do not wish to lose weight, I found that at least being MINDFUL of the calories you are eating helps. You don't have to strictly count them but at least be mindful and know where you are in the ballpark.

I didn't start gaining until I completely stopped and not even being mindful
  • jbug5j
    jbug5j Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert by any means, but I lost 35lbs in 2012 before baby number 2 but counting calories. I never weighed my food, I just estimated what I ate but almost always had 100-150 left at the end of the day just in case I under estimated. I tried to log everything but some times I missed things but I was still successful. Of course there were some days that I would eat half a pizza and be way over in calories, but what's life without pizza haha. Everything in moderation. Don't stress out about it. Not logging a piece of gum, or a bite of something isn't going to sabotage your diet.

minus the weight loss and the baby (for me) THIS! i get as accurate as i can without being too obsessive. if i were to cound every tiny calorie i put into my mouth (gum, sips of drinks, bites of food) i would go insane and quit within the week. i REFUSE to be miserable when it comes to food. i love food and personally believe that the food part dosent have to feel like a second job. :)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Don't want to calorie count and get obsessed?

Mindful eating.

Learn what eating heavy carbs can make you feel like in a few hours, even though you may not really need food.
    Know what you may feel like after heavy cardio, and while not hungry realize you need to eat.
    Any other little gotcha's that mess with the body's normal response of hunger.

And then never eat over the point of being hungry. Don't eat when not hungry just for taste, or emotion, or anger, ect.

Focus the energy needed to count calories to learning to read the body really well, and having good self-control.
    Learn perhaps for you the need to always mix protein with carbs so no low blood sugar, or no high simple carbs to get hyperactive, ect. Some may not even apply.

Eat slow a few times to learn how long it takes you to feel full, compared to eating fast.

And then you have to keep in mind these things learned, and be able to read them well.

Most of the above doesn't work well at all if already in a diet sadly with big deficits, as that mere act can mess with good signals.
  • RelevantKnowledge
    RelevantKnowledge Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I weigh every solid food and measure every liquid I intake ~somewhat obsessively~. A couple of days ago, after some suspicion, I found out that my scale was way off, I was eating more than I intended, and was frustrated my weight loss had stalled. :noway:
    I immediately bought a new scale and realized I had been eating about 1/3 more than I'd thought I was.
    I have no advice for not getting obsessive about counting, but if you find anything let me know. :wink:
  • Skarlet13
    Skarlet13 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I actually don't count calories absolutely, but I do count servings. Of course I do pay attention to the calories in foods, but I'm not counting my daily caloric intake. So far, so good. I'm trying to eat like a "naturally thin" person eats. LOL.
  • oboeadam
    oboeadam Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I definitely track everything that I'm eating. I think there's a danger (for me) in leaving things off, even if they are small, because small things add up. Different things work for different people though, so you have to figure out what works best for you!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I weigh every solid food and measure every liquid I intake ~somewhat obsessively~. A couple of days ago, after some suspicion, I found out that my scale was way off, I was eating more than I intended, and was frustrated my weight loss had stalled. :noway:
    I immediately bought a new scale and realized I had been eating about 1/3 more than I'd thought I was.
    I have no advice for not getting obsessive about counting, but if you find anything let me know. :wink:

Unless you hit it with a sledgehammer out of frustration or went over it's weight limit - I think it would be mighty useful to know what scale brand and model it was that went so far off accuracy.

Sometimes that bad experience will keep others from buying the same sad piece of ......

And if you like the current one, what is it (realizing long term testing isn't finished yet)?