protein powder ... eek! making a change.

Options
4leighbee
4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
I just did the monthly Wal-Mart grocery store trip and had my huge protein deficit on my mind. I bought three kinds of cereal, my Clif bars and ... the reason for my post ... protein powder. I felt a little silly buying EAS soy protein, because I'm certainly no body builder, but I consume about 20 of my 80 protein grams (?) a day, so I've got to improve ...

Question: What do you put this stuff in? Coffee? Oatmeal? I'm not a make-a-healthy-smoothie-at-home kind of gal ... at least not at the moment. Ideas would be great! Thanks!

Replies

• 365Keto
    365Keto Posts: 15
    Options
    Any kind of milk or water, depending on your calorie/carb goals.
  • galvestongal
    galvestongal Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I just mix mine with milk most of the time or put it in oatmeal. But if you do a search you can find all kinds of recipes like muffins and brownies.
  • redfiona99
    redfiona99 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I've never used that brand but I have resorted to "anything it dissolves in". I normally hide mine in hot chocolate, but I've found solubility varies with brand of hot chocolate.
  • 1ZenGirl
    1ZenGirl Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Yea I hear you I've been through a few different types of powder until I finally found what was right for me. I use the J Robb Vanilla Whey and mix it with almond/coconut milk and toss in some pb2 or a banana. Yum!!!

Don't give up on the protein powder. While it is optimal to get your protein from real food (as I have no doubt you know) sometimes we need to supplement and this is a good way to go.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I usually mix mine with milk. Lucerne has a cultured milk with a little more protein, so sometimes when I feel like splurging, I use that. You can also put it in yogurt or smoothies. (I don't like it in yogurt, but know people who do.)
  • Cinnamon45
    Options
    It took me forever to find the right type of protein powder. I finally discovered Jarrow unflavored. I have a scoop of that with 3/4 almond milk and 3/4 frozen berries. I will try adding some frozen spinach to get some veggies in. I have this smoothie every morning. I find the almond milk mixes with the protein powder better, it is less milky/chalky.
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    The EAS is totes magoats hella yuck!!! Im going to also have to find something to put it in (besides the trash can)!! The GNC kind was much tastier but double the calories. I just like a shake after Crossfit to get back some energy :)
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    The EAS is totes magoats hella yuck!!! Im going to also have to find something to put it in (besides the trash can)!! The GNC kind was much tastier but double the calories. I just like a shake after Crossfit to get back some energy :)

oh gosh - uh oh. Well, tomorrow is my Day of Reckoning with that brand. I really appreciate all the great ideas. I have so much to learn!
  • Docpremie
    Docpremie Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Try Syntrax Nectar brand. You can buy it at The Vitamin Shoppe, or order it cheaper on line at My Bariatric Pantry. I add the Chocolate Truffle flavor (2-1/2 scoops) to 1 cup of milk in a shaker bottle along with 1/2 serving (i.e. 11 grams) of Carnation Chocolate Malt powder, then top off the shaker bottle with water. That concoction gives 450 calories & 68 grams of protein! It's delicious! You'd never imagine you were drinking protein powder. It's more like a cross between chocolate milk & a chocolate malt. Their Caribbean Cooler flavor (pineapple coconut) is great just added to water with some Dasani Water Enhancer in the pineapple coconut flavor. I tend to drink that flavor after a work out.

By the way, Nectar is 100 calories with 24 grams of protein/scoop. If you have a Vitamin Shoppe near you, they do sell 1 scoop packets, so you can try different flavors. There are also many flavors that The Vitamin Shoppe doesn't carrying, but they can order. Most flavors are available from My Bariatric Pantry on line. I buy mine at the hospital's women's boutique where I work. They have the cheapest price, plus I get a 15% discount! :smile:
  • kaylorraine44
    kaylorraine44 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    My favourite protein powder is Optimum Nutrition 100% Gold Standard Whey. I love to make fruit smoothies with the French Vanilla Creme kind and protein milkshakes with the Mocha Cappuccino. Cheapest price is at bodybuilding.com but I think you can buy the vanilla flavour at Costco.
  • brandic7
    brandic7 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My favorite is also the Optimum Nutrition 100% whey. It doesn't have that weird aftertaste that so many protein powders do. I put it in a smoothie - with chocolate almond milk, banana, and frozen fruit. The calorie count for the smoothie is a little high but since I use it as a meal replacement (either breakfast or lunch usually, depending on the day) it works out fine.
  • iamMLH
    iamMLH Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I feel like I've posted this a dozen times now, but I'm so excited I want everyone to give it a try:

I love mixing chocolate protein with oatmeal, peanut butter, and cinnamon. It tastes like a Little Debbie Star Crunch. It's really filling, too.
  • laurelobrien
    laurelobrien Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    yep, ON is super delicious! Are you vegan? if not, then avoid soy - it's really hard to make soy protein taste good, might as well go with the whey. Blending it with milk, peanut butter, ice, bananas, etc, is basically a milkshake. Yum.