Best Food Scales?

Options
Just wanted to ping everyone on what food scales they are using? Can a $20 version from Walmart be as good as a $50 scale? Just wondering. I just read and watched a great video on YouTube about how we mis-measure and it could cost us big, so I was thinking of picking one up with some birthday money I have.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Craig

Replies

• kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I got mine a few years ago at Walmart. I believe it was about 20. You don't need an expensive fancy one unless that's what you want. My suggestion is to make sure it weighs in grams and ounces. The only thing I wish mine did was measure down to the tenth, instead it toggles between the whole numbers.

Hope that helps. :)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I bought starfrit...50$ scale but got it for 20$ on sale at Canadian tire (can you tell I live in Canada).

I like it. It came with a bowl, a zero out function and changes from oz to grams...haven't quite figured it all out yet.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I am in UK, the cheap one I have is fine, digital readout, weighs grammes or ounces, I use grammes because packet food has calories per 100g info on pack / tin

Try & get one that has tare [zero out] function, that way you can add food to meal, tare it, and add more food without having to remove plate from scale
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I have a cheap, non-digital scale with the little needle that goes around and a plastic tray that is only big enough for one food at a time. Works fine for me.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I bought a Taylor glass kitchen scale for $20 at Bed, Bath & Beyond. I haven't had it long, but it works great! I've had 2 weight watchers scales in the past and they both became inaccurate/stopped working, so I wouldn't recommend one of those.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    I have an Escali Primo that's been chugging along for close to 2 years. It was only $20 on Amazon.

Nice things about it compared to other scales I saw for the same price locally:
    1) AA batteries instead of the button batteries! 2 years and I still haven't had to change the batteries. When I do, they'll be easy to get.
    2) 11 lb capacity
    3) 4 minute auto shut off so it doesn't annoyingly shut off in the middle of measuring for baking.

The only minus I have is I wish the readout was vertical so it wasn't covered with a large plate sitting on it. I have to place the plate quite a bit off center to see the readout.
  • craigheon
    craigheon Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestions guys and gals!
  • GGDaddy
    GGDaddy Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Love this one on Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003E7AZQA/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Was recommended here to me on mfp. Currently on sale for $16.18 and does everything you need a digital scale to do.
  • craigheon
    Options
    Love this one on Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003E7AZQA/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Was recommended here to me on mfp. Currently on sale for $16.18 and does everything you need a digital scale to do.

Wow! Thanks for the link! I might have to pick this up!
  • shyjaan
    shyjaan Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Great topic! I am also looking for food scale! :)
  • craigheon
    Options
    Great topic! I am also looking for food scale! :)

Thanks Shyjaan! I hope it helps you out too. I think I am about to order the one that GGDaddy recommended to me. It's cheap, and looks like it has all the functions I would need it to have.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options

This is the one I have too and I had an awesome customer service experience with it that makes me think that if/when I ever need a new one I'll get another of the same brand. The solitary thing I don't love about it is that a dinner plate kind of obscures the readout. That, however, seems to be a problem of most of the scales, and we solve the problem by putting a bowl upside down on the scale surface then tare to 0 then put the plate on and weigh. It was a hassle at first now it's just part of the routine.