Concept 2 Rowing Machine...

Options
My rowing machine arrived Friday, I am completely impressed with the total body workout one gets from this machine. I am doing just ten minutes per workout as advised. My plan is to build up to thirty minute workouts, along with thirty minutes on elliptical.

Have you had experience with rowing machines? What have your results been?

Replies

• lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I love, love, love the rowing machine. My current gym doesn't have one, and I've lost some wonderful definition in my back. I also love that it feels like it stretches out your upper body while it's working it.

If you were doing 30/30...elliptical/rowing you would not only get an incredible cardio workout, once you were able to up the resistance levels, you'd have some great muscle definition emerging. I definitely think it's a good idea to build up to the thirty...rowing will find you new muscles/sore places.

Jealous of your new equipment! Best of luck.
  • CHeMoTaCTiC
    CHeMoTaCTiC Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    That's what I've used to get back in shape. I have a Model E. I rowed in college so it wasnt new to me. I started at 30 min 5 times a week. Now I am rowing an hour at a time: 30 min warn up then 30 min intense. I lost almost 30 pounds in 3 months and my arms and back muscles are very defined already. I had to start working on all the complementary muscles with weights to avoid looking weird ;). I do 150 sit-ups and 50 push ups after every row.

Enjoy! Rowing is just about the best overall body work out you can get. Just don't forget about some of the other muscle groups once you get to that point or you can actually stress your spine by toning your back without toning your front too.
  • clahut
    clahut Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I use one at the gym. The trainer who devised my programme has me doing intervals tranining on it (150m sprint/40s recover) and I have noticed a big difference in my back (the only place I can 'see' that I have lost weight) and also my posture. I love it - favourite piece of equipment.

C
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I CrossFit and since I'm not supposed to run (tendon issues in my ankles) I sub with rowing. At home I have an elliptical and this week I'm starting 15-20 minutes/daily on the elliptical.
    Hard to say what it has changed because CF is such a total body transformer, but I love the ergometer because it saves me the pain in my feet/ankles & tendons.
  • johnmcfarm
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. I bought a "roman chair' to work my core muscles and plan on doing yoga, and weight training as well. I want to get up to about two hours five times per week workouts. I am semi-retired and have plenty of time on my hands...or should have anyway :)
  • johnmcfarm
    Options
    I am up to twenty minutes on the rowing machine now...along with my other workout routine. I average 2:35 for each 500 meters...went 3885 meters total in twenty minutes. I am wondering if that is moderate or strenuous. Actually felt pretty strenuous to me, could not have had a conversation while doing it...
  • bikerbiz
    bikerbiz Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Any other Concept2 rowers looking for virtual training partners, feel free to connect with me on MFP. I'm thinking of rowing in the C.R.A.S.H.-B (old heavyweight-guy category) February in Boston... ;-)

http://www.concept2.com/sranking03/profile.asp?rn_index=868918

Ken
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I am up to twenty minutes on the rowing machine now...along with my other workout routine. I average 2:35 for each 500 meters...went 3885 meters total in twenty minutes. I am wondering if that is moderate or strenuous. Actually felt pretty strenuous to me, could not have had a conversation while doing it...

"Strenuous" is a relative term. If it "feels" hard to you, then it is.

If you want something more objective, check out the world rankings on the C2 web site. Pretty humbling.

When I was in my early 30s I went through a period where I trained a lot on the C2. I did a performance test and discovered that I ranked #1 in the world--for a 70 yr old man!
  • Beautifulbridgittlee7
    Beautifulbridgittlee7 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Doesn't rowing give you a great calorie burn, and provides you with cardio and resistance training as well? I know swimming is cardio and gives you resistance as well. Can you find a good rowing machine on Craigslist or one that's under a few hundred dollars, but gives you the great, great workout?
  • ejtma
    ejtma Posts: 2
    Options
    I can't endorse the rowing machine enough, since I discovered it at Christmas, I have dropped around 20kg, with no change to diet, and will complete 1 million metres this weekend. Boredom can be a challenge but rowing is great for not only fitness, but also mental fitness. If it is at a gym, a well planned playlist can do wonders. I row 6 days a week, and do marathons and half marathons. Give it a go, get onto the concept 2 website for motivation and tips.

The biggest downside is the hunger when you finish, some days I just can't stop eating. I am better now in that I normally arrange to go out when I get home, or go just before dinner.