Weight loss supplements (pills and drinks)

Options
I was wondering if anyone was taking any weight loss supplements that were effective and didn't alter their mood.....I am thinking about trying this product called Hcg1234,....it has phases and is supposed to help you lose weight really fast.....my other choice is zantrex 3......just wanting some feedback.....can anyone help?

Replies

• p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Hahahahah_noo.gif
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    The point of MFP is to teach you how to control and track what got you overweight in the first place......................over consumption.

ANY diet program works if you follow it, but hardly anyone can sustain that way of life till they're dead, hence weight regain usually follows when they abandon it.

So unless you're going to take pills to control your weight the REST OF YOUR LIFE, don't even bother.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    Um....no, just no!!!! Don't put that crap in your body!
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to lose weight "really fast"?
    You can reach your goals with a moderate calorie deficit... for free.

And if you take the time to educate yourself about fitness/nutrition and teach yourself new eating habits, you can keep the weight off for life.
  • Spewze72
    Spewze72 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hi, I don't have any personal experience of such things, however, I do read the forums a lot so I will say...be very cautious. There is very rarely any genuine way of speeding up weight loss and even if there is a supplement which can, it's a quick fix - and some can really mess with your system. I gather the side effects are pretty unpleasant, depending on the type. A girl I knew who took "fat binders" spent an evening hiding out in the toilets of the restaurant she was at with greasy liquid oozing out of her back passage - presumably the unabsorbed fat from the romantic meal she'd eaten with her boyfriend??? Apologies for being graphic, but need I go on? :)

Seriously, I personally would give them a very wide berth. There is no substitute for making wise food choices and taking some exercise - it may take a while but it's easier to sustain in the long term. At least, that's the message I am taking from all the success stories in the Success forum!

Best of luck.
  • SerenaKitty
    Options
    No! I have taken Alli and Zantrex 3, when I was young and stupid. The Alli had side effects I didn't care for, as did the Zantrex 3. The Zantrex 3 gave me a splitting headache that hurt so bad that I wanted to die.

So yeah, I'd skip it and focus on calorie intake and exercise.
  • airforceman1978
    airforceman1978 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Hns - Garcinia Cambogia Chews I am also really tracking what I eat but this do help with my hunger and suppose to help lose weight also.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    About 20 years ago I took Metabocrack and it turned me into a spaz. I've been afraid of diet pills ever since. Get lots of vitamins through eating fruits and veggies and you'll have the very best supplement ever.
  • RowanJ13
    Options
    I'm not an expert, but here's what I know:

Weight loss drinks (like Slim Fast, etc.) don't actually help you lose weight, they just make you control the calories you consume. You get the same weight loss results as eating healthy and counting calories, only you don't have to think about it. EXCEPT nobody can drink their meals forever, and eventually you'll need to learn proper portion control anyway, otherwise you'll just gain weight again.

OTC diet pills seem to work either by temporarily suppressing your appetite (so you'll just get hungry later on instead) or by blocking fat absorption, which is when you end up spending all night in the bathroom with greasy poo like in Spewze72 's story above. When I was in school I was told a story about a girl who had an "accident" in class while on diet pills. Not worth it!

Log your food and treat yourself in moderation. You don't have to give up anything to lose weight, you just have to make sure to fit your little indulgences into your calories when you want them.
  • jjennyb4
    jjennyb4 Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Diet pills DO NOT WORK!!!!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Hns - Garcinia Cambogia Chews I am also really tracking what I eat but this do help with my hunger and suppose to help lose weight also.
    Relying on a product to stave off hunger, will keep one relying on it.

IDEA Fitness member
  • RachyLovesRattys
    RachyLovesRattys Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be honest with you here....

when I was young and irresponsible (around 17) I took diet pills and I found one that worked. It had an ingredient called "Bitter Orange" which had a certain percentage of Synephrine in it. The one I took was marketed by Bally Total Fitness (it was called Fat Burner) and besides that ingredient, everything else was mild and legit- green tea and b vitamin crap or whatever..

Well, as I said, it worked--and I went to go purchase another bottle. It was taken off the market apparently. So, I researched why. (Mind you, while on this supplement--I felt like a unicorn on cocaine)

Turns out, a bunch of kids my age died from heart attacks because of this ingredient. If they didn't, they had strokes. Sadly, this ingredient is still out there under other brands. Even Jillian Michael's had a supplement with it (which always made me question what she really does all her work for).

I stopped it and never looked back. Anything out there today is attempting to be an ephedra substitute and, if you find one that works, chances are it will either kill you or really damage your body. I figure, we only get one each, so we should respect it as best as possible.

If you want a safe diet supplement--I use L-Carnitine. It costs as much as a diet pill--but at least it's safe. I've noticed it's helped me, but if it's all placebo--at least I'm not causing harm to myself :) It's actually GOOD for your heart! go figs

Good luck and I hope you make the right decision about this.
  • airforceman1978
    airforceman1978 Posts: 100 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member
    When 1 is 150 pounds over weight and 100% disabled and can do little our no exercise and taking a pain cocktail that put a elephant to sleep he does what is needed Also she asked a question and I was honest
  • armourer178
    Options
    Most of them don't work.

But if you are looking for something that can help (it's not magic)
    you could go with a caffien ephedrine stack, but basically it's just going to increase your heart rate all day.
    Also CLA works a little and green tea for appetite suppression.
  • lsorci919
    lsorci919 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Hahahahah_noo.gif

This
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    HCG is a really bad idea. Trying to 'lose weight really fast" is also a really bad idea. Use MFP to set a calorie goal with a deficit, log your food accurately, and you will see results. They won't be as fast as it sounds like you want them to be right now, but they will be real and sustainable. Eat a good balance of nutrients, and get some exercise in. Make small changes, and be consistent. It will happen.

You say you want to be a healthy role model for your four children - do this the right way, and you will. :flowerforyou:
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    So instead of being smart and eating at a deficit, working out and being patient, you would rather go the unhealthy route? This is a site dedicated to being healthy with sustainable weight loss. If you want to go the unhealthy route, I'm sure there are plenty of sites dedicated to foolish behavior that you can go on.
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    So instead of being smart and eating at a deficit, working out and being patient, you would rather go the unhealthy route? This is a site dedicated to being healthy with sustainable weight loss. If you want to go the unhealthy route, I'm sure there are plenty of sites dedicated to foolish behavior that you can go on.

THis.gif
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member
    When 1 is 150 pounds over weight and 100% disabled and can do little our no exercise and taking a pain cocktail that put a elephant to sleep he does what is needed Also she asked a question and I was honest
    Even with all of that, a calorie deficit is all that is needed for weight loss. Pills aren't needed to count calories.

IDEA Fitness member
  • dwalt15110
    dwalt15110 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I don't know what your program is right now. Weight loss supplements would not be something I would be looking into. With the fact that you have children, I would think you would want to show them a good example by eating healthy food and teaching them to make healthy choices. You want them to know how important it is to exercise and be active. You also want them to choose to drink water over sugary drinks. Making little changes will help you to lose the weight and ingrain a healthy lifestyle worth living.