Weighing... does it matter? (Pics inside)

Options
Vex3521
Vex3521 Posts: 385 Member
I keep seeing questions about if it does or doesn't or that eyeballing or measuring cups are fine or that using the "deck of cards" or "size of palm" etc work to guide your portions. I know that it wasn't until I got real and started weighing everything that I noticed things being more steady. So, here's a little experiment I did. Apologies I had to use a 2nd type of dry measure cup we've got some mis-matched sets going after moves lol.

Tools were: Dry measure cups, wet measure cup, food scale.
Food was: America's choice boil in bag brown rice. I Do not have a weight of the bag alone

**Pics are right clickable to view but can't get them displaying here =/ **

Nutrition Panel=
a7afbc01-836a-444e-baed-e6ccf848c614.jpg.html

43g Weighed Serving = with closeup of where it falls in the measuring cup
176.jpg
177.jpg

1/2c serving = in dry measure & wet measure cups (yes the weights are slightly different)
178.jpg
182.jpg

43g Weight serving cooked =
183.jpg

What does 43g cooked look like as "About 1 cup" measure from nutrition panel?
184.jpg

If you use "About 1 cup" in reality....
185.jpg

What does it actually weigh???
186.jpg

So... How accurate is the eye? Or the measuring cup? Hope this helps some folks =)

*edit* sorry pics aren't working, fixing that as fast as I can!

Replies

• ChrisS30V
    ChrisS30V Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I only weigh out certain foods that are calorie-dense and more susceptible to having their serving size underestimated. For fruits or veggies I normally eyeball or break out the measuring cup, because an underestimation of a serving of broccoli isn't going to have quite the same caloric content as an underestimation of a slice of banana cream pie.
  • laursoar
    laursoar Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Once you start weighing most of your food prep, I find it gets pretty quick too. I weigh pretty much everything that I prepare at home now and continue to use measurements for powdered or liquid tbsp/tsp stuff. It definitely makes a huge difference in accurately counting!
  • Vex3521
    Options
    Once you start weighing most of your food prep, I find it gets pretty quick too. I weigh pretty much everything that I prepare at home now and continue to use measurements for powdered or liquid tbsp/tsp stuff. It definitely makes a huge difference in accurately counting!

Couldn't agree more.. I just did my cook ahead for the week, well prep and getting it all going in the ovens. Then it's make sure everything gets packed out to Tupperware and arranged in the fridge and I'm golden. So much easier to log that way too. Shame on me for changing things up a little.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Can't see the pics sadly!
  • gypsyone96
    gypsyone96 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I weigh out my food so that I'm more accurate in my MFP diary entries.
  • mhasita
    mhasita Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I weight everything.
    But my food scale is breaking from overuse (Imagine that, a month of daily use and its starting to fail).

Any suggestions for a new one?
  • Vex3521
    Options
    Can't see the pics sadly!

Are you able to right click and go to view? That worked on my end.... Unless anyone has advice on fixing them?
  • Vex3521
    Options
    I weight everything.
    But my food scale is breaking from overuse (Imagine that, a month of daily use and its starting to fail).

Any suggestions for a new one?

This is the one I have... got it about 3.5 years ago.

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Emerson-11-pound-Digital-Food-Scale/5162252/product.html
  • jodi41086
    jodi41086 Posts: 240
    Options
    I bought a 70$ food scale(which ended up being free because of my job incentive program) and am thinking about buying this 1cup measurer that has a scale built in!!!! Measuring does matter which is why I try to premade at least 4 days worth of food at a time when it comes to 12 weeks out from a competition. In order to log adequately you must know exactly what you are putting into your body!!! :O)