5 HTP and Raspberry Ketones- HELP :)

Options
Has anybody taken either of these?

Looking for some feedback mostly with 5 HTP but also interested in taking raspberry Ketones! :)

ANY help or advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    My advice: don't waste your money. Spend it on a gym membership instead. Or send it to me, that will be equally effective for weight loss.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Save your money, measure your food accurately, log all your food and drinks, get up and do something. Repeat daily.
  • shelbz09
    shelbz09 Posts: 115
    Options
    I am not trying to use the 5 HTP for weightloss but for mood help
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I've used 5 Htp to help me sleep and to help my mood, and it's been quite effective. I didn't know it was supposed to be a weight loss thing, and I didn't notice any difference in weight loss when I started or stopped taking it.

I don't think there's any evidence that raspberry ketones does anything in humans.

What worked for me was setting a reasonable calorie deficit with MFP, tracking my food accurately, doing some exercise and tracking that, and just repeating those things indefinitely. (I now eat at maintenance but still track my food and still exercise.) It's harder work and more boring than taking a supplement, but that is what has worked for me.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options

As a clinical psychologist, I recommend you seek the assistance of a mental health professional. Not out of a $15 bottle from CVS.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    DON'T

you're welcome.
  • LovenderNurse
    LovenderNurse Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I've used 5 HTP for mood enhancement, and yes it does work, so does valerian root! I've never tried raspberry key tones though. But I do know that when I am working out regularly my moods are on a natural "high" and those types of supplements aren't needed, however getting to that point takes time, 2 weeks at least.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    NO
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I am intrigued, tell me more
  • atamrowski
    atamrowski Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    What's this Z-Burn I keep hearing about???
  • Fenrissa
    Fenrissa Posts: 116
    Options
    I've taken 5-HTP in the past and found it really helped my overall mood and anxiety.
  • brandnewsnickerpuss
    brandnewsnickerpuss Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I took raspberry ketones for about 6 months and found that they made me a wee bit jittery and that made me want to exercise. I did lose about 50 lbs in that time frame; I've gained 25 of it back over the last non-raspberry-ketone year. But plenty of my friends tried them and said they didn't feel any different.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    No on the raspberry ketones.

The 5HTP I currently take for anxiety and it has helped significantly.
  • Catlady87
    Catlady87 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I have used 5-HTP before and found that it did help, but in the end my life circumstances were stronger and I ended up with clinical depression and over 2 years later am still on antidepressants, after having a relapse after 13 months.
    If you are so concerned about your mood that you are prepared to take supplements I suggest you see a medical professional to determine whether you need to be on something stronger.
    Other possibilities for natural mood boosters are valerian root, St John's wort (NEVER take whilst on the contraceptive pill as it makes the pill ineffective) or try Bachs natural remedies - rescue remedy is particularly good for anxiety.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    Taking random stuff to "help your mood" or deal with other physical or mental issues is a bad idea. Please speak to your doctor before you start taking any of this junk. You never know what sort of side effects things could have or what could cause problems. It is not a good idea to ever just start something.
  • karen19711
    karen19711 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thank u. Smile K xo
  • shelbz09
    shelbz09 Posts: 115
    Options
    thank you for your thoughts and advice as well as opinions! Sure is appreciated.

Just for the record, not depressed just was looking for something like a vitamin to help boost my mood or help me be more positive! nothing clinical wrong with me, no need for professional help as its nothing serious just something was interested in.

I wouldn't take this without consulting a doctor, but I came here for advice and opinions on it incase somebody tried it

I appreciate all your information!
    Thanks again!
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    No on the raspberry ketones.

The 5HTP I currently take for anxiety and it has helped significantly.
    Ditto. I take 5 htp in the winter and it really does wonders for my seasonal depression.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Can't recommend it at this time.

Possible issues:
    5-HTP (5-Hydroxytryptophan) is a chemical by-product of the protein building block L-tryptophan. It is also produced commercially from the seeds of an African plant (Griffonia simplicifolia).

Don’t use 5-HTP until more is known. 5-HTP might be UNSAFE. Some people who have taken it have come down with eosinophilia-myalgia syndrome (EMS), a serious condition involving extreme muscle tenderness (myalgia) and blood abnormalities (eosinophilia). Some people think the EMS might be caused by an accidental ingredient (contaminant) in some 5-HTP products. But there is not enough scientific evidence to know if EMS is caused by 5-HTP, a contaminant, or some other factor. Until more is known, avoid taking 5-HTP.

5-HTP is used for sleep disorders, depression, anxiety, migraine and tension-type headaches, fibromyalgia, binge eating associated with obesity, premenstrual syndrome (PMS), premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD), attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), and along with prescription drugs to treat seizure disorder and Parkinson's disease.

How does it work?
    5-HTP works in the brain and central nervous system by increasing the production of the chemical serotonin. Serotonin can affect sleep, appetite, temperature, sexual behavior, and pain sensation. Since 5-HTP increases the synthesis of serotonin, it is used for several diseases where serotonin is believed to play an important role including depression, insomnia, obesity, and many other conditions.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options

Same answer. Regular exercise and moderating your diet will help your mood significantly more than any over the counter remedy. Except perhaps if you live in Colorado, if you know what I mean.

Any psychological disorder that cannot be aided by lifestyle changes probably need professional intervention and/or medication that been evaluated for efficacy by the FDA or equivalent regulating body.