How quickly does metablolism change?

Options
This is my second time starting a diet with MFP. Last time I had dental problems and basically ended up eating whatever was easy to chew! Also, I found it hard giving up all the things I like straight away, so this time I decided to assess what I'm eating normally and work out what can stay and what should go.
I've found that - following my usual habits - my calorie intake varies quite a bit from day to day. There have been a few days where I've been under my calorie goal and a message comes up in my food diary saying that it's bad to be under your calorie goal as your body goes into 'starvation mode', changing your metabolism and making weight loss more difficult. Other days I'm up to 200 calories over my goal. I haven't started really trying to control my intake yet - as I say, I'm assessing my normal life first. It may be that I can still eat the same food and just exercise more.
Now, I'm not really very overweight and am quite happy to take my time improving my health in general, setting easy to reach goals and not making my life horrible. My question is this:
I've been taking more exercise. Can my metabolism change in one or two days if I don't eat enough? Should I be more concerned with weekly or even longer term calorie intake? Does it balance out over the course of a week or two, or does the body react quickly enough that it's important to maintain the correct intake on a daily basis?
Any advice appreciated!

Replies

• kawookie
    kawookie Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    There may be many people more qualified to answer this question, so hopefully others give you their thoughts as well.

In general, it is more helpful to look at a weekly view than a daily view. The daily view is helpful if you are significantly under or over because it can allow you to make adjustment to your food intake for the remainder of the week. It can also be helpful to bank calories if you know that you have a party or dinner out one evening and you still want to stay in your weekly calorie range.

YMMV, but for me it seems that the best way to avoid decreasing metabolism is to 1) change up what you are eating (a friend of mine cycles her macros sometimes having more carbs, protein or fat) -- it seems to help when your body can't anticipate how much food you will give it, and 2) cross-train -- changing what you do and the duration you do it seems to also keep things new for the body.

I can't speak for being under 1200 because I have never eaten so little, so I will leave that for people with experience to answer.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Also, I found it hard giving up all the things I like straight away, so this time I decided to assess what I'm eating normally and work out what can stay and what should go.
    Why would you give up all the things you like? :huh: You don't have to give up anything you like. It seems like that would make things a whole lot harder than it needs to be. Just eat things in the quantities that allow you to meet your goals.

It's fine to look at your weekly calorie goal rather than a daily one.
  • Alix68
    Alix68 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Thanks for the advice. I think I really meant that I don't want to give up beer! I know it's bad for me to drink a bottle every night! But it helps me sleep and also I love it.
    So if I just basically continue keeping an eye on my weekly intake and exercise a bit more often, that should should take care of things I suppose.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Thanks for the advice. I think I really meant that I don't want to give up beer! I know it's bad for me to drink a bottle every night! But it helps me sleep and also I love it.
    So if I just basically continue keeping an eye on my weekly intake and exercise a bit more often, that should should take care of things I suppose.
    If a beer helps you sleep then have at it, just make sure it fits into your calorie goal. You do not have to give up any foods and drinks you love in order to lose weight. Moderation is the key.

You have very little to lose-from your ticker it looks like about 6 pounds or so. If that is true, then you need to set your goals to lose no more than .5 pounds a week. You want it to come off slow. This should give you plenty of calories, but be sure to eat your exercise calorie back.

If I understand it correctly, MFP gives you the "starvation mode" message if you go below 1,200 calories a day. I say this because when I was losing weight I was on 1640 calories and I went below this plenty of times and never got the starvation mode message.

Besides this, that message is not correct, and I believe it's mean to prompt people to not go under a healthy calorie goal. Eating very low calorie diets for a prolonged period of time where you lose muscle mass and fat and a certain percentage of body weight is when you are in starvation mode. In other words, you would be emaciated.
  • Alix68
    Alix68 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    OK, that would explain why I get the message when I didn't last time - I had higher exercise goals last time so my calorie goal was higher. I suppose MFP have a responsibility to warn you against getting an eating disorder, so fair enough.
    I originally thought that 1200 a day was very low and was pretty surprised to find that I regularly eat less than that without feeling hungry.
    Thanks for all your advice, I shall now open a bottle of beer... cheers!