Lunch Ideas (Low Cal & Low Sodium)

Options
I need some suggestions all this time I've been doing frozen WW's or Lean Cuisine meals and never realized that the sodium in these meals are actually hurting me.

I only have a 30 minute lunch so I need some ideas as to what I can make ahead to reheat or other quick fix suggestions.

Thanks!

Replies

• bbombard
    Options
    I like to do beans and rice. I do up a few cups of rice on Sundays and then use it all week. I use Bush's black beans and grillin beans for flavor. Occasionally I will also cook up some chicken breast and add it for those extra hungry days :-)
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I love salads for lunch. There are so many different options/tastes. My fav is baby spinach, grape tomatoes, cucumbers, green onion, boneless/skinless chicken breast, avacado and a babybel light cheese with the ranch dressing i make with greek yogurt and skim milk..sooo yummy!!!!

Also, freeze leftovers! Casseroles, chili, etc. Most things reheat nicely, especially if you get it out the night before and refrigerate it!

Could also cook some meat up on the weekends, freeze it in 4 oz portions (or whatever you like) and then just throw a bag in the fridge the day before..eat with a salad or some veggies
  • skinnygirlfreed
    Options
    Very easy, quick lunch/snack. I don't know how low you need your lunch to be. You could play with this recipe if it's too low in calories.

Pizza Roll-Up:

1 high fiber tortilla (like La Tortilla brand)
    2 T pizza sauce (or less)
    1 wedge Laughing Cow cheese (garlic & herb flavor)
    Turkey Pepperoni (I usually use 1/2 serving)

Spread sauce and cheese on tortilla, top with pepperoni, roll it up & microwave about 30 seconds and you have a quick little pizza roll! I'm guessing - but, with the ingredients I use - it runs about 160 calories. Pair it with some veggies....or baked chips. The extra fiber in the tortilla will fill you up more than you think!

Let me know if you try it!
  • mszSHOGAN
    mszSHOGAN Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Whole wheat wraps are good with hummus and some veggies, or with a low fat chicken/tuna salad

Salads are always good, I like to add some chicken to mine

I also do the rice/beans thing

Cottage cheese w/fruit, veggies (fills you up more than you'd think it would)

I've found that eating out while at work is usually NEVER a good choice. If I must eat out I walk to Sub Way and get a roasted chicken sub!
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    bumping for later...some really great ideas...
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    My favorite home made Ratatouille with a baked potato!

Or Chickpea and Spinach Curry

My family loves it when I cook this! There are 3 servings because I eat it on its own as a meal, but if you have it with rice, or pilau bulgur as I occasionally do, you can half the portion size. This is so incredibly low calorie for a huge portion and one of the meals I tend to make in bulk and keep in the freezer for a while. It really is delicious! Don't be daunted by all the herbs and spices, they are all great for using with other things.

http://heavling.blogspot.com/search/label/Chickpea
    The young lady who does this blog is my daughter and i know the recipes work and are really tasty! oh also on there ......

Aubergine Hummus

This is an awesome combination of Baba Ganoush and Regular Hummus. It is fantastic as a dip, or spread on some brown bread or a wholemeal pitta with spinach and sundried tomatoes.
    It makes 8 large (100g) portions, but you could stretch it out further.
    123 calories per serving, 3.4g F, 0.4g SF, 19.1 C, 4.1g S, 6.4g Fb, 5.6g P

Enjoy!
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I often have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on sara lee's 45 calorie bread with 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce. It totals about 280 calories :)
  • jenna_watsonator
    jenna_watsonator Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is a personal fave, boiled rapini is also really yummy and super nutritious. Or sliced eggplant with marinara, nutritional yeast, and a sprinkling of parmesan and bread crumbs....low cal eggplant parmesan! Nomnomnom!
  • KendalBeee
    KendalBeee Posts: 2,269 Member
    Options
    bumping for later :smile:
  • mrsewert
    mrsewert Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Oh awesome suggestions ladies! :) Keep them coming!
  • emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I adore the Flat Out Wraps. They are delicious, in three flavors, and have a good source of fiber.
    I put ham, lettuce, tomato, some vinaigrette. YUM!

Have with some veggies, carrots/tomatoes and enjoy some laughing cow cheese. Instead of putting cheese on the wrap ;)

In fact, I'm having this right now :)

Enjoy the day!
  • pitbulllover
    pitbulllover Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I like egg salad. I try to always have hard boiled eggs in my fridge, so it's easy to make a sandwich in the morning before work. I use 3 eggs, but I take the yolks out of 2 them. So it's basically 2 hard boiled egg whites, 1 whole hard boiled egg, and add some light mayo and pepper, and scallions for a little crunch. I put on one of those 100 calorie sandwich thins (Arnold's), and it ends up being pretty satisfying and low calorie.
  • rw4004
    rw4004 Posts: 157
    Options
    Veggieburgers are very low calorie,no cholesterol,low sodium,high protein,high fiber.My favorites are Morningstar garden veggie (sold at burger king too),or Quorn naked chik cutlets.
  • chicabean420
    chicabean420 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I'm a leftovers person. So I typically plug in whatever I made for dinner into the Recipe part of MFP and portion out 2-4 meals. Then I have leftovers :) I tend to cycle a couple meals though, so it's not the same thing every day. I also enjoy veggies and light dip, and a small yogurt cup

I hate salad for lunch because it doesn't keep me full. No matter what :(
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    If you have a fridge/microwave nearby you can create a really good wrap that I enjoy:

Nuke 1 container of the 90 second, flavored instant rice - I use about 1/4-1/2 of the container
    1 whole wheat tortilla
    Stuff it with the rice and any veggies you have easy access too.
    Quicky and tastey!!!!

Also, keep a few apples, pears, or peaches in your fridges for a sweet, but good for you munch!

Shannon
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    If you have a fridge/microwave nearby you can create a really good wrap that I enjoy:

Nuke 1 container of the 90 second, flavored instant rice - I use about 1/4-1/2 of the container
    1 whole wheat tortilla
    Stuff it with the rice and any veggies you have easy access too.
    Quicky and tastey!!!!
    No dressing needed!

Also, keep a few apples, pears, or peaches in your fridges for a sweet, but good for you munch!

Shannon
  • mrsewert
    Options
    Very easy, quick lunch/snack. I don't know how low you need your lunch to be. You could play with this recipe if it's too low in calories.

Pizza Roll-Up:

Spread sauce and cheese on tortilla, top with pepperoni, roll it up & microwave about 30 seconds and you have a quick little pizza roll! I'm guessing - but, with the ingredients I use - it runs about 160 calories. Pair it with some veggies....or baked chips. The extra fiber in the tortilla will fill you up more than you think!

I just bought the stuff for this and I'm plugging it into my food diary...will let you know what I think! :)

ETA: OMG this is amazing! :)
  • mrsewert
    Options
    ranch dressing i make with greek yogurt and skim milk..sooo yummy!!!!

Do you put the ranch powder into the greek yogurt? I bought some plain greek yogurt today???? I LOVE ranch and will only eat ranch. :laugh:
  • mrsewert
    Options
    I like to do beans and rice. I do up a few cups of rice on Sundays and then use it all week. I use Bush's black beans and grillin beans for flavor. Occasionally I will also cook up some chicken breast and add it for those extra hungry days :-)

Do you rinse and drain the black beans?
  • skinnygirlfreed
    Options

Pizza Roll-Up:

I just bought the stuff for this and I'm plugging it into my food diary...will let you know what I think! :)

ETA: OMG this is amazing! :)