Finding a personal trainer

Options
I'm thinking about doing a few sessions with a personal trainer to get started with lifting free weights. I currently do cardio 5 times a week and weight training (machines) 3 times a week. Although I'm comfortable in the gym, I'm a bit intimidated by the free weight section. I do use dumbbells for my arms at home, too, but haven't really done other free weights much. I thought it might be good to do a few sessions with a trainer to start out. So my question is: how do I go about finding a good trainer and what should I be looking for? I appreciate any advice! I'm also on getting and reading New Rules for Lifting for Women, which sounds like a good guide.

Replies

• schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    I would start with the gym you belong to they should have several trainers there. Your trainer should start, IMO, by doing an assessment and asking you a bazillion questions so that s/he can create a plan for you.
  • ag27404
    ag27404 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I would start with the gym you belong to they should have several trainers there. Your trainer should start, IMO, by doing an assessment and asking you a bazillion questions so that s/he can create a plan for you.

This and also assess if you 'click'. My first trainer was good but she and I didn't click. She left the gym which was a blessing because my new trainer and I get along fabulously. You want someone you can work with.
  • bethanne60
    Options
    For me it is first impressions. Mine has been a God send. I think maybe meeting outside the gym so you can interview each other??? I guess I was lucky when I found mine! Good luck
  • bethanne60
    Options
    Oh and I found mine on Craigslist!
  • donnat238
    donnat238 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    If you have a gym ask about meeting with a trainer....usually the first appt is free and the trainer should start by doing an assessment and asking you a lot of questions about what you hope to achieve and your goals, etc. so that they can create a plan. This would also be a good time to see if you synch or not with the trainer. It took 3 appts with 3 different trainers before I found someone that I thought would help me achieve my goals.