Weekday Saint, Weekend Sinner

Options
Hi Fitness Pals,
I just wanted to assauge myself of some weekend guilt! This has always been my problem: In the week, I eat healthily and exercise and do all the right things. Then on Sat and Sun, I don't do any exercise (because I don't feel like it – I feel like I need a rest) and I eat things like chocolate or get a takeaway. Then on Mondays I give myself a right telling off and spend the day feeling horribly guilty. Anyone else do this?! I need to break this pattern and wondered if you have any tips?

Yours hopefully,
Claire

Replies

• wife2mikejh
    Options
    This sounds like me! I do so well during the work week because I stay busy. On the weekend when I am lounging around the house it is easy for me to snack on bad stuff and not feel like exercising!
  • tanias11
    Options
    i have the same problem!!!! :( i do GREAT on the weekddays and exercise a lot but the weekends kill me. and i usually gain everything i lost the week prior. so this weekend i did indulgde but still exercised.

sat : i didnt work out but i watch wat i ate. i just had to keep reminding myself i dont need to eat that . bc i truly didnt. ill just be bored and just eat. so just say NO! so sat i had crackers then mac and cheese for lunch and a sub for dinner. not nad. just say NO to the other things.

sun: i did work out a lot burned like 700 cals. (bc its football) . had special k in the morning . wings for lunch AND a slice of pizza and for dinner i splurdged a little bc i won poker at my brother in laws house! :) but its okay cuz i did work out
    and hey i still managed to lose a pound:)

i think what will really help you or anyone. but it really works for me is to plan out what i will be eating all week and STICK to it as much as you can. and if you can workout! think about the ultimate goal! weight loss. hope this helps!
  • Mesmereyes
    Mesmereyes Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    OMG! That is me! I just can't get it right on the weekends. Yesterday, I saw an app on my phone for a 5 Day Diet.. Do you think it would be a good idea to just take the pressure off and say I'm doing the 5 day diet? I don't have all the specifics but I would guess you follow a low cal, low fat, high fiber diet for 3 days and then eat a little less strict for 2. I guess the key would be to not go completely overboard on the 2 days your are not dietitng. Has anyone tried it?
  • noble1987
    Options
    EXACTLY LIKE ME!!!
    ....and Im a Claire too! lol x
  • BughaBear
    Options
    I do take the wkends off from workinout but I am still conscious of what I eat and I workout durin the wkend enough for the wkend, lol. But with the workout routine Im startin today it has me workin out 3 times a wk the first wk and by wk 4 I will be workin out 5 to 6 times a wk. And if I do the 6 my day off will be sun. But I have always workout only on the wk days and I did lose 20lbs until I moved and I feel out of workin out and stuff this is my first wk back and this is my first time doin the calorie countin thing,
  • tesshaney
    tesshaney Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Thats totally me every other weekend
  • mybutterflower
    mybutterflower Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm part of this club too! I actually look forward to heading back to the office on Mondays because I know I'll be working out regularly and eating right again.
  • theemstress
    theemstress Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    yep! This is me to a T, too! I pretty much don't even bother logging it into MFP. Ugh!

How to break this cycle?? I've got a rough time with that too. Maybe we should reward ourselves at the end of the weekend. Or at the end of each night of the weekend. I'll start brainstorming some ideas. If I come up with anything good, I'll share it before the weekend!

-Emily
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Story of my life. I NEEEDD to change this. ONE cheat day. not 2 wine nights and micky d's bfast.
  • ChubbieTubbie
    ChubbieTubbie Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    This is me too! My (new) philosophy is that you need a 3500 calorie defecit to lose a pound, so as long as you get that during the week you'll lose. I've been working a bit harder during the week to maintain that defecit and I eat what I want on weekends, as long as I'm under my maintenance calories. Eating 100 less calories M-F will give me a 500 calorie defecit that will cover when I'm eating on maintenance Saturday, and 500 cals extra exercise will cover Sunday. So far, so good!
  • merebear
    merebear Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    This is sooooo me! Ever since my mother-in-law passed away last Christmas, we have been staying at my father-in-law's house on the weekends because my husband is an only child so now his dad is really lonely. They are AWFUL eaters.....out to eat for everything! And they're Mexican so it's tortillas and grease to go with every meal (yummy!). I did good on Saturday when they got Whataburger, I got a salad but then it all went downhill :( All I have been able to do now is maintain my weight, so I should at least be thankful for that since I already lost 60, but I still want to lose at least another 10 pounds. There is not trick to it - I know the answer is going to be that I have to focus and stay committed.....but that might have to wait during Thanksgiving :)
  • JDetro22
    Options
    i am super amazed at the weightloss you have accomplish since october of 2010! i too am 5 feet tall and considered obese. i am trying to get myself down to at least 165 befor summer. i just signed up for a fitness center on saturday the 13th of november and am ready to get myself back to pre baby/husband weight! if you dont mind me asking, what sort of extra things did you do to help with the weightloss? i would love to know! you are now my inspiration!!1
  • brookeybaby_00
    brookeybaby_00 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    My husband is off every other weekend and those weekends are SO bad for me! He wants crap food and I somehow let him talk me into it. I hadn't had a soda in two weeks prior to this weekend and over the weekend I had 3! All in all, I ONLY gained 1 lb, but it's still a gain. I need help in this area as well. :sad:
  • mjanet
    mjanet Posts: 54
    Options
    Seems a lot of us do the same thing. I tend to just log whatever I eat, even if it's horrible just so I can be accountable for it on Monday when I get back on the treadmill. This is a horrible habit that I need to break. I guess if I just eat right during the weekend without working out, I will not feel as guilty.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Wow, I have been feeling very guilty today for not eating healthy and not working out all weekend. It makes me feel better knowing that it isn't just me. I do great all week and then the weekend hits and that's all she wrote!
  • jennievh
    jennievh Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the same thing. I'm thinking of making up menus for the weekend, because I end up grabbing whatever, or forgetting to make time for lunch & doing fast food.

It is frustrating! I know I can eat better. I just need to make it easier for myself.

I also don't generally log my food--and that doesn't help things!
  • caitlinclock
    caitlinclock Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I give myself one day off working out. One day during the weekend I still drag my butt out there and do my exercise.

I also let myself get takeaways once a week but I get something that stays within my calories and I feel even more amazing about it while still treating myself.

I think the main thing is to PLAN, plan plan! Also, don't tell yourself that you can't have things like takeaways because then you'll just want them even more and you'll tend to binge in a bad way. Give yourself a break and do things the smart way and you'll feel all the better for it!

Good luck!
  • js775219
    Options
    I'm part of this club too! I actually look forward to heading back to the office on Mondays because I know I'll be working out regularly and eating right again.

OMG yes, I hate work and class but I savor the stability it gives me as far as working out and eating and drinking water. If I'm at home, even if I'm busy I just neglect everything and sometimes gain back EVERYTHING I worked off the week before. it's a vicious cycle!
  • WOW! So it looks like loads of us have the same problem!

I think it all comes down to wanting to reward yourself after a hard week at work. So after reading all your advice, I have decided that a few treats are in order, so as not to fall off the wagon completely! I particularly like the advice about still exercising at the weekend EVEN if you are going to have a day off, food wise. I seem to have this stupid rule where if I eat something bad, I think, right, no point in doing exercise now! So this weekend I am going to exercise Sat and Sun (I will have to push myself!) but also allow myself a few treats on Saturday as that is my fave day. I'll let you know how I get on!

Claire
  • Nicola1944
    Nicola1944 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Yep this is me too!

I dont mean to over eat on a weekend, but some how it just happens :-/ haha

I over eat and then torment my self with guilt about it.... The feeling of guilt is awful!

I *think* i have had a really good week this week.... my weigh in is on Tuesday, so I still have the weekend to contend with!

I actually feel nervous about keeping it up this weekend, but im determined!!!

Wish me luck! :) & Good luck to everyone else trying hard this weekend! xx