Exercising with ethnic hair

Options

Replies

• QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    I love wearing my hair curly so I'm one of the lucky ones that doesn't have to worry about that (too lazy to iron out anyways), BUT, can someone please tell me how to find a damn stylist that actually knows how to cut and shape curly hair!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    I love wearing my hair curly so I'm one of the lucky ones that doesn't have to worry about that (too lazy to iron out anyways), BUT, can someone please tell me how to find a damn stylist that actually knows how to cut and shape curly hair!

devacurl and miss jessies in NYC is about the only places i've ever found that have been consistently good.

in the bay area there's a salon called madusalon that i've heard mixed reviews about. one fay i'll try them.. maybe
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options

devacurl and miss jessies in NYC is about the only places i've ever found that have been consistently good.

in the bay area there's a salon called madusalon that i've heard mixed reviews about. one fay i'll try them.. maybe

I randomly got one really good cut while I was in Los Angeles, in a mall no less....

Seriously, I'll go six months to a year between cuts for the simple reason I don't want to deal with the disaster. They're called layers, they need to be at specific lengths to build the correct shape. I can tell you EXACTLY what length they need to be, HOW is this so hard?!/rant over
  • svsl0928
    svsl0928 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I decided my "Ethnic Hair" would not be a reason for me to not workout. In the spring/summer, it is real short either texturized or natural. I work out in the morning before work most days. In the winter, I go with hair rollers. After workout, I got to the locker room to use their hair dryer to dry the roots. I shower there Also. My hair is the las thing I do before I walk out the door. This works for me. Also, the day after I get my hair done is my day of rest.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Cant help you I have dreadlocks. I do see black girls at my gym wearing wigs during their workout though...
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

What the hell is this 'cut and shape' you speak of?
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I didn't wear my hair natural all the time it would be bothersome.

Even wearing my natural hair is a problem as it's too kinky and still when wet or dry it just kinks up and hard to manage. I have thick, dry, curly, kind of hair that when straighten reaches the middle of my back. When not just a half inch past my shoulders. Constant struggle! lol

Either way its a problem. lol... Just the difference in wearing it natural is I can at least condition it more often then the other one. As you know that washing it all the time isn't good.

i wash and condition in section of large braids or twists. i also dont let it air dry loose otherwise i get tangles.

i dont consider my hair a problem but then again i work WITH my hair's texture, not against it. i also have the typically villefied type hair (ie not the "good" kind of ethnic hair). when you work with your hair in terms of styling, products, techniques, etc it's actually pretty easy.

Thank you for the tips.

If I have time I usually will do it in sections. Makes life much easier. Just a lot of time I do not make it so I end up doing it the hard way. lol

And I will try and not let it air dry. That might help me.

LOL.. sorry OP for hijack.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options

then i realized that i didnt have to relax my hair to do that and could also avoid the inevitable chemical burns and my head smelling like a batch of rotten eggs for 2 days after a relaxer :smile:

by the way this is apparently the #1 excuse/reason black women use to not exercise.

This and This

I hadn't relaxed my hair for almost 4 years before I just decided to get dreads. I hate those relaxers they burn and scar the scalp just so you can walk around with processed hair for a couple of weeks. Just.Not.Worth.It.
  • rostraqueen
    Options
    I have thick curly/wavy hair that will generally do as it pleases!
    I can get it straight but it usually takes at least 2 and a half hours to get it all straightened and then, despite using straightening balm and hairspray. I've given up now and only do this when I feel like a change.
    Now, if showering in a morning before work, I usually just put some curl-enhancing mousse on and clip my fringe back and then when it comes to the exercising part of my day I can put it in a scruffy ponytail. I sometimes do a french plait for something different, but I have to re-do it a couple of times a day as the layers in my hair means it comes out of the plait easily. If I shower before bed I blowdry it ready for ponytail in the morning.
    Whatever works for you is the best approach - for example, I work some early morning shifts, so I consider sleep and having breakfast to be more important than styling my hair on those days but if I'm on a late shift I have time to pamper myself a bit more :)
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I didn't wear my hair natural all the time it would be bothersome.

Even wearing my natural hair is a problem as it's too kinky and still when wet it just kinks up and hard to manage. I have thick, dry, kind of hair that when straighten reaches the middle of my back. When not just a half inch past my shoulders. Constant struggle! lol

Either way its a problem. lol... Just the difference in wearing it natural is I can at least condition it more often then the other one. As you know that washing it all the time isn't good.

I do like being able to condition basically whenever I feel like I need it, and I'm much better with my natural hair than I ever was with it relaxed. I'm a twist out master, tbh. Oh and don't get me started on nice long hot steamy showers without worrying about my roots.

Never going back.

Yes, I haven't had a relaxer in years! But, I can flat iron it myself if I want a straight, sleek, more manageable look. Like right now its straight but I'm able to get up and go. My hair is just really unmanageable. The kind where I can comb it out or detangle and not even an hour later it will be back to "kinky." Yeah it looks cute but nobody knows what I go through until they have to deal with then they become a believer to my dilemma! lol

I get a lot of 'your hair is so cute, who do you ever braid it/get weave' and I'm always like "*sideeye* Because I don't want to spend 3-4 hours doing it every 2-3 days? Novel *kitten* concept, right?"

A person's hair doesn't just go from

FhKwZy2.jpg?1

to the lovely curls in my profile picture, sadly. Which reminds me. It's wash day. SIGGGGH
  • wanna_b_there
    wanna_b_there Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Just leave a landing strip.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options
    Also, Houston + straitening hair = pointless

Exercise would make no difference for me, once my butt steps out the door, the curls are coming back.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options
    Just leave a landing strip.

LOL! Glad not drinking milk right now....
  • Amestris
    Amestris Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Wish I could offer you some advice. I am natural and normally wear my hair pulled back in a puff or in twists makes things easier. A friend of mine tried a Spin class with my last week she's natural but straightens her hair. She said it wasn't something she could see herself doing regularly because she didn't want to mess up her hair. I wish more women of color wouldn't prioritize their hair over their health sigh...
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options

If you google for Deva stylists in your area, you stand a GREAT chance of getting an excellent cut. Two in the SF bay area are: Mary Hill at Fabu in Campbell is superb. Teresa Callen in Palo Alto/Mtn View is also very good, but veeeeery slow (I don't always have the luxury of multi-hour salon visits!). I'm sure there are others, but those are the 2 Deva-trained ladies I went to for years.

ETA: same strategy found a great stylist in rural NH, not just a CA fluke!
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    This is the main reason I went natural. However, when I did wear my hair straight I would wear a scarf tightly around my head while working out and didn't take it off until it's completely dry (You can speed up this process by blow drying it if you're in a rush). I know that sounds crazy but it really does help lol.
  • Youretheoneformefatty100
    Options
    Try exercising with weights instead?
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I have addressed this issue and currently I have been using organic virgin coconut oil on my hair and I now have very few issues with reversion and I also started cowashing my hair, that seems to really help with the dry scalp and ends.

I tried to go natural and even considered cutting my hair but I think with some trial and error you can find a solution for your hair while still working out, I don't believe we cannot have both, straight hair and fit bodies :smile:
  • Sovictorrious
    Sovictorrious Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I could never work out in a wig. That is silly to me.

I do a lot of Bantu knots but sadly they all end up fuzzy.

The best I like are the Marley Twits. They are cheap and easy to install. Check you You Tube. I like them with some length and then just bun it during the workouts.
  • Daisyisacat
    Options
    I use dry shampoo if I am in a rush.