Lunch idea' s for 1400 cal diet

Options
I am probably just not creative enough. but I have been stuck on what to have for lunch. I have been rotating between a salmon and chicken salad every day with a light yoghurt. Usually amount to about 200 cal give or take.

Anyone got any other good idea's as I am getting really fed up eating chicken and salmon.

Thanks

Kirsty

Replies

• keeptehpeace
    keeptehpeace Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Soup, wrap, sandwich, houmous and things to dip into it e.g. breadsticks or carrots
  • notmichael
    notmichael Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Sardines, mackerel, avocado salads, home made soup are my staples
  • Mojoman02
    Mojoman02 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Egg Salad is another idea....high protein and will stick with you. You can make it with Greek yogurt instead of mayo. Soup is a great idea. You could also bake a chicken on the weekend and then make/pack chicken. Also good is veggies and laughing cow cheese.
  • JoanaMHill
    JoanaMHill Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    My calorie goal is only a little above yours. One of my favorite meals for lunch or supper is flatbread pizza; the way I make it, it amounts to only 360 calories, but it could be even less depending on what you use. There are also sandwiches. If you want to avoid the high sodium content of deli meats, you could cook up a ham or turkey or something on the weekend and have it to slice into for meals during the week.
  • binniesmart
    Options
    Rye bread( the german kind) topped with various things: chicken, tuna mayo, cream cheese, avocado, houmous. It has helped me ditch the rice cakes, which have virtually no nutritional value. I like to have a bigger lunch than you around 350cals, and each slice of bread is approx 140 cals, but I usually just have milk or a banana for breakfast and a 'proper' dinner. Roasting a whole chicken at the weekend is something I like to do to meal plan for the week :) I aim for 1450 cals a day
  • Saucymare2010
    Saucymare2010 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies the soup sounds like a great idea, as I can take that into work, saves the running about in the morning as well. i currently spend half the morning preparing my meal :tongue:

I have thought about trying the wrap but anyone I have found lately have been quite high in cals so I haven't went near them as I am trying to stick to a 200-250 cal lunch, I would have to find a very light filling for them.

I will def be trying a few of the ideas out, thanks again

Kirsty
  • Saucymare2010
    Saucymare2010 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I also just wanted to add for those thinking its a low cal lunch, I eat every two hours so I am not hungry so a low cal lunch works well for me as I will be eating 2 hours later, just snacky things like banana's, apples etc Generally each thing is 100 calories.

I stuck to this sort of eating plan when I was on weightwatchers about 8 years ago and it works well for me :)
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Margaritas!! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: ... Wait sorry wrong thread. :ohwell:
  • rubixcyoob
    Options
    Soup is definitely a good idea - I tend to make a big pot of one kind at the weekend, keep some out for the weekend and then freeze the rest in individual portion sized containers, so that in the morning I take it out and it defrosts during the day.

You could make chicken breasts with veggies and small amounts of rice, then season with herbs etc. It doesn't need to be a large tub of food, and can easily fit into a 250kcal slot.

I sometimes just have plates of cold cooked meats and then veggies like carrot, cucumber etc with dip.

Rice cakes/Ryvita and toppings are a good alternate to sandwiches and can be topped with anything from cheese to peanut butter and still taste great!
  • Dugleik
    Dugleik Posts: 125
    Options
    Do you want ideas around 200 calories? I usually try to aim at 300calories for lunch. Depending on what I'm doing at work I usually have egg and avocado sandwich or oatmeal with nuts, chia seeds, and honey. If i'm on the run I sometimes have a cheeseburger from Mcdonalds (305calories). And if I'm at home I usually have bakes vegetables with whatever protein I can find (usually chicken, egg or beans)
  • aireeul
    aireeul Posts: 46
    Options
    i really like making a bean and rice bowl. black beans, brown rice, add some seasoning and salsa. good and filling. :)
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Skinnytaste.com has a lot of recipes you can try.
    I like most of her recipes
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,720 Member
    Options
    My lpacked lunch is typically 300 cals. About 200g of defrosted frozen veg and some leftover meat. If there are no leftovers I will add a hard boiled egg and a couple of slices of turkey luncheon meat. A little dollop of sauce (pesto, chilli paste, chimmichurri, salsa verde, salsa, or hummous) adds variety.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Exercise and get more calories!
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    A zucchini slice. The 1 I make (vegetarian) is 166 calories per serve. It is a tad higher if you add ham/chicken etc. Fills it out a bit more too.
    Open sandwich is always good. Rice cakes with cottage cheese/philly spread topped with tomatoes/ham/tuna etc.
  • ashleearoha
    ashleearoha Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I love low fat cottage cheese (about half a cup) with a tin of tuna, some mixed beans and a bit of tomato salsa and half an avocado. Tastes amazing and low carb :)
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I usually make a big spinach salad with other veggies, cottage cheese, meat and 2 tbs avocado. If I want something hot, I make what I call "squash medley." Saute onion and garlic till soft, add in yellow or zucchini squash, diced carrot and sweet potato, and sliced mushrooms. Sprinkle generously with favorite herbs. Cook til almost soft, adding whatever flavor bullion/both you prefer for flavor. Add in one can of drained chick peas. You can also add diced tomato to this or some spinach. Sometimes I also add some rolled oats to soak up some of the broth.
  • lorelei68
    lorelei68 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    "I have thought about trying the wrap but anyone I have found lately have been quite high in cals so I haven't went near them as I am trying to stick to a 200-250 cal lunch, I would have to find a very light filling for them."

I don't know if you have them in your area but I use Tumaro's Multi Grain Wraps. They are low in carbs, good in protein and only 60 calories per wrap. Fabulous for sandwich wraps, breakfast burritos and soft tacos! :happy:
  • gloriaeffe
    gloriaeffe Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a microwave at work? If so you can just bring leftovers from the night before's dinner.
    I don't have a microwave at work at the moment so I normally go with something like

- roasted chicken with cherry tomatoes, carrots, cucumber
    - tuna, beans, veggies
    - roasted sweet potatoes, zucchini and carrot with either roasted turkey or chicken
    - roasted salmon (or swordfish fillet) with green beans
    - quinoa salad with mixed veggies and some roasted meat or hard boiled eggs
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a microwave at work? If so you can just bring leftovers from the night before's dinner.
    I don't have a microwave at work at the moment so I normally go with something like

- roasted chicken with cherry tomatoes, carrots, cucumber
    - tuna, beans, veggies
    - roasted sweet potatoes, zucchini and carrot with either roasted turkey or chicken
    - roasted salmon (or swordfish fillet) with green beans
    - quinoa salad with mixed veggies and some roasted meat or hard boiled eggs

^Yes, cook good dinners and take the leftovers for lunch. This really helped me. I was eating Lean Cuisines, but I saw more progress when I started eating real food for lunch. Also, I take lots of fruit, and I keep nuts and dried fruit at my desk for snacks.