How to correctly account for breast feeding

Options
I know that breast feeding moms are supposed to intake a slightly higher calorie amount than normal. However my weight since the baby has gotten WAY out of control. I needed to do something and a friend has had success using the app and suggested it. I don't know the ins and outs so I haven't dive any fancy set up. I simply answered the questions the app gives you right from the start about height weight etc. I then read up in the forums as much as I could about breast feeding and found out how to add that in - not as an activity- where I was originally searching for it but under snacks. Now that being said I am still a little confused as to which one to pick since there are so many options. I here are the facts: 1) my baby is three months old
2) I have recently (in the last week) gone back to work
3) He is being exclusively breast fed (ie I am pumping and giving the milk to the caretaker during the day and nursing at night
Because I am pumping I have a very good idea of how many ounces of milk I am producing each day. During my 8 hour work day I usually express just under 15 ounces in about 4 pumping sessions. I typically will nurse the baby three times in the evening before bed(which I am certain more than makes up the difference to put total yield over 15 ounces but not sure how much after that. I REALLY need to drop some weight but I intended in nursing the baby as long as I can or at least until he's a year old. With that said I have been choosing the "6 Times a Day Exclusive Breast Feeding" the serving size says 5oz. So here's my question- I know I am expressing more than 5 oz per day- I have been setting this to 2 servings yielding ten oz even thought I know I am actually at 15+ oz however I am not nursing him 18 times a day nor am I pumping that many times. So am I doing this correctly and focusing on the serving size rather than the title stating 6 times a day or should it be vice versa? Any help would be appreciated as I really want to do this right so I can drop some weight. Thank you in advance for your help!!!

Replies

• 3boysunder3
    3boysunder3 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    hey there,

I think it is a personal choice. My little one is 10 weeks. I was told by GP to put in 500 calories deficit. Thought that was way too high, but have since found that I do need that amount to get through the day and helps with extra snack for me after feeding baby.
    I will probably drop it to 400 calories in a couple of weeks, but wouldn't go lower then that until baby is 6months or starting solids.

Hope that helps.

Oh and have been losing weight with this when I had last baby and seem to be doing alright this time (only 2 weeks in)
  • shep0183
    Options
    Ok. See I have been logging t as two 5 oz servings since my milk production is already on the decline I don't want to hurt it by undereating but I have been really pushing my water and making most of my calories raw veggies and some grains so hopefully not too much fat but I really do want to have success with this. I would like to lose 10 lbs a month and I really need to drop about 80 lbs so far so good as I have lost 2 lbs the first week so that's on track. Thanks for the input!