My reasons for losing weight.

Options
KHalseth
KHalseth Posts: 104 Member
When I first lost weight, in my 30's, it was all about the clothes and the image. My favorite clothing line was Heavy Red and I had to buy larger sizes. So I lost weight, got to the top of my weight range, Felt fantastic. Was having fun. Then I broke one ankle and injured the other so bad it took longer to heal than the broken one did. I love clothes but I never buy any. I hate the close for my body now. It is horrible. Admittedly, they are starting to make nicer clothes for large women but I will wear something that looks nice on a hanger and hate the photos of myself in it. I can't wear anything I really like. So I want to get down to a size that I can look good in the styles I like.

But I'm in my 40's now and medical reasons have kicked in.

Well, there are several. I wasn't worrying about my blood pressure and diabetes enough. I thought I could easily change those numbers with changes in diet. So I was making changes yet somehow gained more weight and the numbers went up. The cholestoral numbers dropped and that was good. But everything else got worse and they upped my meds. My hobbies involve my eyes. Needle crafts, reading, and other things. Now when my blood sugar spikes up or drops low, my vision gets blurry. So I really have to watch and maintain that. So I really need to focus on weight loss and eating right. I have to really manage my diabetes and blood pressure and actually pay attention to it if I don't want to die young.

I used to think that I wasn't worried about when I died. That maybe keeping people alive longer and longer with medicine was actually part of the problem with the world and maybe our number is up when it is up and we should stop fighting it. Until I turned 40, and felt way younger than that despite developing health problems my mom and grandpa didn't develop until their 60's. Once I was faced with those medical issues I realize I really didn't agree with my younger self anymore. In part because I didn't feel old and there were to many things still to do in life. Aging really changes people. A lot of people get more conservative, I've become way more liberal and more focused on my health in recent years.

But now I have a new and unusual reason to lose weight.

Normally, I do not have to sit all the way forward in a car. Even with my short legs, I can reach the pedals if I'm back a notch or two. But that being said, I'm fat so my stomach is still touching the steering wheel.

But my new used car is a stick. That makes me happy even though I have to relearn to drive one. I'm fine except for first gear. I am still trying to figure out the clutch to gas ratio in that one gear. The brakes are super touchy as well.

But the clutch needs to go all the way to the floor to start. This means I have to move the seat all the way up. Now I am totally squished between the seat back and steering wheel. Right now it is against my bruise from my accident making it hurt worse after driving.

So now I have a NEW reason to lose weight to add to my other reasons. And I'm reminded with discomfort every time I get into my car. I need to loose weight in order to drive comfortably.

I lost 8.4 or 8.6 lbs in about a month. I'm now going to focus on maintaining that rate. So each month should get more comfortable until one day I can sit in my car and my stomach doesn't touch the steering wheel at all.

I do wonder if there are attachments to add to pedals for short people to drive more easily. That would be nice.

Replies

• asaffell
    asaffell Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Big hugs - my good friend got started because he couldn't get the airplane tray to go all the way down. Our reasons can be so varied, but we're all in this together.
  • queenveef
    queenveef Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    LOL! I love this. At 5'1" I also have problems with the steering wheel and my tummy and big chest! I find the winter is worse when you have to put on a heavy coat and then you can hardly move, which is not good when driving.

Congrats on the 8+ pounds and keep going. I started in Dec 2013 and lost 6 lbs the first week but with Christmas and New Years gained it all back. And almost three weeks in the scale hasn't moved much (very discouraging)! I'm keeping at it cause I don't want to be on medication or get diabetes. And the clothes ... I hear ya :) Just want to be able to go into any store and buy what I want. :smile:
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Good for you on the 8 pound loss!
    You probably will not lose at the same rate each month but it's so worth it to keep going unti you reach your goal.
    I agree on how precious and valuable life gets as we grow older and I'd rather be old and healthy than old and sick.
    I, too, am trying my best to have a healthy old age-I'm almost 60.
  • KHalseth
    Options
    It has been one day less than a week since the last time I weighed myself. I've lost .8 of a lb. I'm guessing if I waited until tomorrow, it could have been 1 whole pound. But tuesday was such a weird day to weigh in. I really only did it last Tuesday because I was in a car accident and I felt like I lost some weight and I needed some kind of good news that day.
  • mklassy123
    Options
    I hate to say that your post brought a smile to my face, only because I can relate so well.

I took a flight a month ago. It was on a small commuter plane (26 rows, two aisles of two seats). The seat belt JUST fit, I mean I had to adjust it so it was at the biggest setting, but I had to take my coat off in order to wear the seat belt. Luckily there was nobody sitting next to me either way of my flight so I could lift the arm up in between the seats to be more comfortable, less squished. That's when I realized I cannot let the scale go up ANYMORE, not another ounce. Two weeks before Christmas I got my butt back on here and started logging. I got myself a FitBit and I log my steps. I cannot believe how inactive I was prior to my FitBit, and how easy it is to get my steps in - during commercials I pace, when on the phone I pace - I get my steps in. The week between Christmas and New Year's I was awful, but I still logged. I got right back on here after NYE. Since January 2nd (that's when I stepped on the scale) I have lost 5.5 pounds. I am thrilled. I know I will not keep up this pace, my realistic goal is 3-4 pounds a month. I do not want to be embarrassed on an airplane again.

In two and a half weeks I'm taking that same flight again. The test will be to see if the seat belt is a little more comfortable. I'm not looking for a miracle, just something that I will notice.
  • train_01
    train_01 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    For me, it was about tying my shoes. I got a mostly desk job about a year ago and since then I had been gaining weight pretty steadily (and I significantly overweight before that even). I always had the attitude, "I know I'm overweight, but I can still do what I want so it's ok". Then one day, I sat down and bent over to tie my shoes and was startled to realize that my stomach was so in the way that I was "huffing" and had to sit up to breathe. I was SHOCKED (I normally wear flats or sandals so I don't tie my shoes much). Even after that, it still took awhile to decide to get on with it. One day after Christmas this year, I just said, "I'm going to do it", and I have ever since. Both my dad and sister have type II diabetes because of their weights. Both are ex-Military and at one point in their lives, were in really good shape. I saw what happens when you let yourself go and I have vowed I will not follow that path. My daughter (who is 7) is big for her age (4'2, 70lbs) is already starting to talk about how she's "different" from the other girls. She's not fat or anything, just very solid with broad shoulders. I told her she's beautiful and her build will come in handy when she's playing sports and things. She said to me, "I don't want to be fat". It broke my heart. That was also when I decided that enough was enough. Now our whole family is developing a healthier lifestyle :) Less TV and computer, more exercise and healthy food.
  • Aes37850
    Options
    I can definitely relate to the clutch. My mustang's clutch catch point is at the bottom so I always have to have the seat adjusted just right. I know there have been plenty of clothes that I want to fit in and haven't. Tight spaces I want to squeeze but can't. But I think my main reason is I'm just tired of being overweight (obese according to BMI chart) and want to be down to a more normal weight! I want to eat healthier and not have to worry about my blood pressure (it's been borderline for about a year). I'm just sick of it. Lol. So I guess that's my reason.

I wish you luck! And anyone can feel free to add me :)
  • KHalseth
    Options
    For me, it was about tying my shoes. I got a mostly desk job about a year ago and since then I had been gaining weight pretty steadily (and I significantly overweight before that even). I always had the attitude, "I know I'm overweight, but I can still do what I want so it's ok". Then one day, I sat down and bent over to tie my shoes and was startled to realize that my stomach was so in the way that I was "huffing" and had to sit up to breathe.

Yes, I used to wear mostly slip on dress shoes and one day I put my walking shoes on and had trouble bending far enough to tie them. I couldn't believe it. I wanted to know when that happened since I liked to go on walks but couldn't remember at what point I went from easy to put on shoes to having trouble!