Where are my low carbers??

Options
Hey guys! I'm starting out my low carb tomorrow. I've had success with it in the past but fell hard back into old habits. I have 200 lbs to get to an ultimate goal weight, but only focusing on 100 or as much as i can this year. I can do thissss. Who's with me?

Replies

• AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Why low carb?

The more time you spend here, the more you'll see that cutting out/drastically reducing whole food groups is not as sustainable or successful as making overall healthier life/ food choices. I would suggest eating at a reasonable deficit and moving a little more. That way you'll never have to worry about "starting over" or "falling back into old habits". No need to cut out carbs, your body needs carbs! Just make sure they're the right kind, like brown/wild rice, quinoa, whole wheat and sweet potatoes.
  • jrniven
    jrniven Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Why low carb?

The more time you spend here, the more you'll see that cutting out/drastically reducing whole food groups is not as sustainable or successful as making overall healthier life/ food choices. I would suggest eating at a reasonable deficit and moving a little more. That way you'll never have to worry about "starting over" or "falling back into old habits". No need to cut out carbs, your body needs carbs! Just make sure they're the right kind, like brown/wild rice, quinoa, whole wheat and sweet potatoes.

Truth!
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! I'm starting out my low carb tomorrow. I've had success with it in the past but fell hard back into old habits. I have 200 lbs to get to an ultimate goal weight, but only focusing on 100 or as much as i can this year. I can do thissss. Who's with me?

You are having trouble sticking with low carb because you are attempting to follow a highly restrictive diet. There is no good reason to avoid a long list of perfectly healthy foods. Also, carbs actually have a function in the body. Expect poor gym performance and constipation.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    My diet is pretty low carb, actually controlled carb, I don't think it is so bad just to get the weight off, but then switch to something like you are talking about.

Once I get to my goal I am doing a year of maintenance, then I can consider other things (about 18 months from now).
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Why low carb?

Funny, I lost a lot on a "reasonable deficit" but still fell "back into old habits". What you eat has nothing to do with that.

You're body does NOT need carbs to survive. Before cutting down something, make sure you educate yourself on it. I'm not pro-low carb, but it has it's benefits and draw backs like every other "lifestyle".
  • 2014_willbmyyear
    Options
    agreed with all above..
    weight loss is about lifestyle not cutting out one thing... once you lose the weight you'll go back to eating all the groups and likely rebound. I would focus on eating in a balanced way so when you do lose the weight it will be a natural transition
  • GamerLady
    GamerLady Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Try here http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/411-low-carber-daily-forum-the-group-
    You'll have more info and help from lo carbers with the low carb group. Too many in just the general forums for some reason like to give you hell about being a low carber, heh.
  • Americannabis
    Options
    If you couldn't stick to it the first time, I wouldn't bother trying it again. This comes from someone who also went low-carb for a while back in 2012 and felt GREAT, but ultimately I couldn't keep living on less than 100g of carbs a day and fell off the wagon... badly. Unless you're sure that you can live on a restrictive diet permanently, it's probably not worth it.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    OP you can also check out this group http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1143-keto
  • four_pennies
    four_pennies Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm having success by limiting my carbs to 30g max at breakfast, lunch & dinner and 15g max for 2 snacks. That's a total of 120g per day. Of course I'm working with a nutritionist and this is the totals that she has suggested for me and most every patient she has. I'm also eating around 1200 calories a day. I've found that limiting my carbs to these levels has helped my blood sugar tremendously.

Like someone else said, you need to be wise when choosing your carbs. Get the most bang for your meal. Example: Oatmeal is a lot of carbs, however it gives you a lot of necessary fiber, so it's good for you.

I've dropped 13.4 lbs in 5 weeks, so that's just a bit more than 2.5 lbs a week. I also exercise at least 5 days a week and I drink at least 3 liters of water everyday.

You can do this!!! Just stick with recording your meals and track your carbs. Don't cut them out completely because your body needs some. Just remember, even if you have 1 day where you don't follow you plan, put it behind you and get back to it the next morning.
  • perseverance14
    Options
    I can only speak for me, I am doing a Doctor supervised program, and when I am ready they will help me transition back into the "real" world, that is what the year of maintenance is for.
  • perseverance14
    Options
    Four_Pennies, That is some really solid advice. :)
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I've been doing keto(low carb and high fat) since July. Have had a few slip-ups now and then, but I always get back into the groove.

You're better off joining one of the groups because people on here LOVE to berate us low-carbers. Believe me, it's not worth the drama and the headache to post on the forums.
  • carlypreiss
    Options
    While I agree that cutting whole groups out and restricting yourself leads to failure, I have also gone low-carb again after falling off the wagon because it is the only thing that has ever worked for me for more than 5 pounds, and it is also the only thing that prevents me from bingeing. My body is addicted to carbs, and when I get them, I eat more and more. By following a LCHF diet, those cravings have essentially gone away. In my experience, the only harm to restricting is trying to restrict too much. The reason I failed last time was because I was trying to eat low carb, and also only eat 1200 calories a day, which led to insane hunger and carb binges.

I'm going to add you, since I have over 100lbs to lose as well. :)
  • alexanderzamani
    alexanderzamani Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Good luck, I used to do low carb/ carb cycling! I can say now that it will not be easy, but you can loose weight fast like that, if you do it right. I think that AlongCame_Mol's advice is good, though, especially if you don't feel good or enjoy a low-carb diet, I'm sure both will work. Remember, if you're miserable on low-carb, it's not worth it and caloric deficit will work nicely too and be a lot less strict.

I wanna commend you for deciding to get healthier, it's a big decision and the first step, I'm always to happy to hear it, no matter the method you use!
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I would like the echo the above posters. Cutting out carbs is very hard to maintain. I did it about 5 years ago. Lost 45 pounds and then just could not do it anymore. As you can tell - I then gained all my hard lost pounds back. This time, I've found some success just eating in moderation at a 20% deficit from my TDEE. I have been able to stick to this for 19 months. I'm pretty sure I could do it forever!

Good luck!
  • shafa4321
    shafa4321 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me
  • FrauMama
    FrauMama Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I have eaten low-carb/low suagr for a few years and find it easy, non-restrictive (I don't miss anything), and healthier (according to my blood work). Ate very low carb for maybe two years and have been eating more since I moved to Europe this summer, but still keep it under 100g a day, usually. It's not that difficult, it's tasty, and I have a ton of energy. :)
  • morannash
    morannash Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    As someone who is carb and sugar sensitive I completely understand the freedom that comes with low carb/ketosis. It is the only time I find freedom from food cravings. As I am sure you know just be conscious to get enough protein and veggies!
    You got this! One choice & day at a time. You deserve to feel good and you can. I encourage you to set small do-able goals. 1st really small - like getting all your water, following your plan, let each small goal be a success.... I got all my meals in, I worked out etc... this way we begin to focus on the successes vs the distance we have to go... which can lead us back to old patterns of feeling hopeless and numbing with food. And then have your one month goal and so on and so forth... at 1st I also encourage it not to be about the weight but the healthy habits : )

2 of my favorite fitness quotes... "Nothing tastes as Good as Fit feels" and " If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail"
    Best of LUCK!