Me + weight loss surgery..hmmm

Options
Well, a little bit about me. I'm 25, female. I am huge. 350lbs and only 5'3" tall. I've tried all the diets, the only one that did much for me was low-carb, and once I got out of keto, boom, pounds packing back on. It never stayed gone for long. Now I'm too big to do much exercise...my knees always hurt, my back always hurts, and so on. I have high blood pressure, borderline diabetic, arthritis, and more. Of course, the standard hypothyroidism and PCOS too, just to make weight even more of a problem. After a while, I kind of gave up. I got bigger and stopped caring. Gained a lot in college by eating like my friends, who were thin. That is, fast food and so on. I just said, whatever, I'll be whatever I'll be. Now I'm reaping the consequences. I've been obese since age 7, but now there are consequences. I can't live this way, and I need to drop pounds fast.
Then I found out my insurance covers weight loss surgeries. I did a lot of research, attended a seminar, had a surgeon consult, and am just waiting on the results of a sleep study to come back and they'll submit it all to my insurance and schedule my surgery.
I will be getting a surgery called Duodenal Switch. I will have to follow a low carb diet. I will, however, lose weight rapidly, and am much more likely too keep it off long-term than with any other surgery or diet.
I haven't seen anyone on the board talking about weight loss surgery, so I'm wondering, is it shunned here? Some people think it's an "easy way out", but it really isn't. After this surgery, if I have a lot of carbohydrates (like, say, a chocolate milkshake or a piece of pie), there can be unpleasant, painful consequences. Some people can no longer consume breads, pastas, or even dairy afterwards, even in minute amounts. It's going to be a huge lifestyle change. I'll have to take probably about 30 vitamin pills a day (huge doses of A, D, E, K, calcium, b-vitamins, and more). But anyway, that's my story. I could have surgery as early as this month.

Replies

• KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Hi, I see you haven't received any replies. I had weight loss surgery 7 years ago, lapband. I lost 86lbs and then started having trouble. I ended up gaining my weight back and I'm starting over. I still have the band and am trying to utilize it. Weight loss surgery (if you haven't had the DS yet), is going to be a lifestyle change. For me it's remember to chew my food really well, knowing what will or will not go down because for some, there are foods that you just can't eat after surgery. I hope that if you get the surgery that you do well and get healthy. I know someone who has the DS and she has lost over 200lbs, she's an inspiration.

I've thought of revising to the sleeve but I'm not sure yet. Giving the band another shot. I hope you will be able to get the exercise in, that would be so important to do right from the start to retain your muscle tone because you will probably have a lot of excess skin (I will too if I ever get the weight off). So keeping fit early on would be good. (just a suggestion).

Good luck to you!!
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Weight loss surgery is a tool and tools shouldn't be shunned, as long as you use them properly.
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Weight loss surgery is simply another tool in your arsenal. It certainly isnt the "easy way out" and I always tell people that are contemplating surgery to please understand...it is not a cure for obesity. It is a great tool...dont get me wrong. I think a lot of times people shun the idea because they believe simply hard work should be enough. Surgery route does not eliminate the need for working hard. I am 2 years post op now and I have to work and sweat off every pound I lose just like anyone else. The difference is that by having surgery, I got myself to the point that I was actually able to do what I needed to do to get healthy. Best of luck to you and dont let anyone put you down for the decisions you make. We all do what we have to do and a surgical path surely saved my life. It got my diabetes quickly under control and allowed me to be able to put in the work I need to do. Feel free to add me if you like :flowerforyou:
  • lorelei68
    lorelei68 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I also had gastric bypass surgery 8 years ago. I was 300 pounds and went down to a low weight of 145 in 18 months. I stayed there for a while and began to creep back up due to life changes... divorce, a sedentary desk job and a few bad habits were creeping back in. I topped back up at 202 in early 2013. I freaked out and my surgeon's office recommended MFP and it has helped tremendously over this past close to a year.

That being said, my metabolism was so messed up pre-surgery I don't know that I would have the same results here that I currently do.

Weight loss surgery is a big step and definitely a useful tool to get the system back on track. It is NOT a cop out or easy way out. It requires a huge amount of dedication, the right mindset and working out regularly while going through the process (and definitely after as well). You can do this! Feel free to friend me if you need a pal who has been there.