Harris Benedict says 1155 calories not 1200??

Options
I've been eating a net calorie intake of 1200 calories for around 4 weeks now. I've also been working out a few times a week. I've been doing 40 minutes circuit training twice per week, weights for around an hour, cardio one or twice depending on time. I've not lost anything but gained two pounds I'm so disheartened!

Everything says not to eat less than1200 net and I have been brutally honest with my food diaries weighing EVERYTHING! I've never eaten so well because I figured that the only person I would be cheating would be myself. I've also been syncing my jawbone up band with MFN for that time. When the exercise calories transfer to MFN they are always lower and have been using these amounts and not always eating the exercise calories back in full.

Am I eating too much?? I used to do weight watchers when I had my little girl and never had this problem with that but can't afford to continue. I figured monitoring exactly my calorie intake and working out would be enough!

I'm 5'1 and weigh 131 pounds and want to shift the rest of baby weight out get back to 118ish.

Any suggestions gratefully received!

Thanks all

Replies

• Venividivici2014
    Venividivici2014 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Bump... Anyone?
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    It probably wouldn't hurt to up your intake and try that for a couple weeks. You definitely won't gain weight from trying an increase for a little while.

Is the 1155 the harris benedict formula gave you your bmr or tdee?
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I think maybe your math was wrong? I came up with 1371 for your BMR.

source:
    http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/bmr-formula.php
    English BMR Formula
    Women: BMR = 655 + ( 4.35 x weight in pounds ) + ( 4.7 x height in inches ) - ( 4.7 x age in years )

655 + (4.35 x 131) + (4.7 x 61) - (4.7 x 30)

655 + 570 + 287 - 141 = 1371

even if you used your goal weight in pounds, BMR would be 1314

If you're trying to do TDEE equations, make sure your defict is only 10% as you have very little to lose.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I think maybe your math was wrong? I came up with 1371 for your BMR.

source:
    http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/bmr-formula.php
    English BMR Formula
    Women: BMR = 655 + ( 4.35 x weight in pounds ) + ( 4.7 x height in inches ) - ( 4.7 x age in years )

655 + (4.35 x 131) + (4.7 x 61) - (4.7 x 30)

655 + 570 + 287 - 141 = 1371

Bump

even if you used your goal weight in pounds, BMR would be 1314

If you're trying to do TDEE equations, make sure your defict is only 10% as you have very little to lose.
  • Freeletics_1995
    Options
    Don't eat your exercise calories.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Don't eat your exercise calories.

Wrong!
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Did you recently start exercising or up the intensity? When I first started exercising I gained weight (water weight for muscle repair) and it took several weeks for that to balance out and for the scales to start moving in the right direction again. Even now when I do something hard enough to feel super sore later it will be associated with a couple of pounds of temporary gain.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Did you recently start exercising or up the intensity? When I first started exercising I gained weight (water weight for muscle repair) and it took several weeks for that to balance out and for the scales to start moving in the right direction again. Even now when I do something hard enough to feel super sore later it will be associated with a couple of pounds of temporary gain.
    Same here.
  • Beckilovespizza
    Beckilovespizza Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty short and my bmr comes out as 1137, I'm 108lbs and when I started my bmr was more. Keep checking as u lose weight as u may not need so many cals, or u might need more. I generally eat back exercise cals and I set my daily cals at 1100 but must say enjoy food and drink more at the weekend. It worked for me but I know not for everyone, good luck! xx
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    seriously people, your BMR is the amount of calories that your body would need if you were in a coma and hooked up to a breathing tube. why are you using this as any type of standard BESIDES going further with the equations and figuring out your TDEE.

base your deficit on a percentage off your TDEE and eat above your BMR. profit from the results.
  • Keji306
    Keji306 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    . I generally eat back exercise cals

I am new here,Please can anyone explain what that means.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    . I generally eat back exercise cals

I am new here,Please can anyone explain what that means.
    if you burn off say 200 calories during exercise-you increase your caloric intake by 200 calories.
  • daimere
    daimere Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    "base your deficit on a percentage off your TDEE and eat above your BMR. profit from the results."

So you're saying BMR (coma like state) and then TDEE is the other side of the spectrum which supports day to day living (walking around, work, etc)? I've always been confused about TDEE
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    "base your deficit on a percentage off your TDEE and eat above your BMR. profit from the results."

So you're saying BMR (coma like state) and then TDEE is the other side of the spectrum which supports day to day living (walking around, work, etc)? I've always been confused about TDEE

TDEE takes everything into account (on a weekly average) your activity level, how much you workout.

i noticed that for me, no matter how i do it (MFP way or TDEE way), i pretty much get the same numbers:

TDEE method (taking all my activity into a account) gives me 2600 for maintenance and i input my calorie goal as 1600.
    MFP method would have me eating at 1200 + any exercise calories, which would be around 400 extra calories a day on average. so no matter which method i used i'd still end up eating 1600 calories to average 2 pound loss a week

here's a link where you can input your info and get your estimated TDEE
    http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/