My Skinny Fat plan

Options

Replies

• kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    eating high carb has helped me lean out and lower my body fat % a lot!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,114 Member
    Options
    First off, you look great where you're at! Congrats on taking it to the next level. I'm gonna make a BIG assumption here, you initially said, "gain muscle," which has an entirely different connotation than, "bulking."

My assumption is that you'd like to see more of the muscles you've worked on, not look like a power lifter. If powerlifter IS your goal, cool, forget what I'm about to say.

However, at your size given the former, not latter goal, putting on lean mass is mostly a no brainer. (Not easy) So you've been on a weight loss diet that has apparently led to a loss in muscle and fat. Without looking at your macros I cant tell for sure but the muscle sparing signaling that's missing is more likely coming from your training than your eating.

A guy trying to bulk... on the lines of 5+ kg. is going to gain some fat while doing so. A lady like yourself, who I'm guessing wants to see more definition and maybe a bit more mass, is going to be well served by adding muscle. Remember muscle is hungry, gaining muscle will lead to some fat loss in a person your size if we're focused on performance and strength.

If I were you I'd talk to a trainer and focus on muscular contractions in your lifting routine. It's an often overlooked aspect of resistance training. We think: welp I lifted it, therefore my muscles contracted. Yes, but could you have contracted them harder, with more intention? Probably. Learning to hit those contractions hard is a great plateau killer and should help hit the signaling you need to spare/gain muscle while maintaining/losing fat.

Good luck!
    That makes so much sense, and inspiring too! I will definitely be more mindful of how I lift weights now!

Also, about the 1300 cals thing, that is my BMR and the reason I use that is because I want to input my exercise on an individual basis, rather than guessing my activity level. I say my TDEE is about 1400 because usually I burn about 100 cals in a day. USUALLY. Sometimes more sometimes less.
    So yesterday I ate back my exercise calories. And one more ! Let's hope this works.

Just a note, unless you spend all your day sitting on the couch playing video games or reading a book, you are likely not truly sedentary. More likely your actual activity level for the day it closer to lightly active. Even if you are sedentary that would make you TDEE 1560 not 1400. I am guessing if you got something like a fitbit or bodymedia fit you would find out you are burning a lot more calories than you think you are in your daily activity.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    eating high carb has helped me lean out and lower my body fat % a lot!

Yes, but you're doing that on a constant deficit so it's probably the deficit that's doing it.
  • Springfield1970
    Options
    First off, you look great where you're at! Congrats on taking it to the next level. I'm gonna make a BIG assumption here, you initially said, "gain muscle," which has an entirely different connotation than, "bulking."

My assumption is that you'd like to see more of the muscles you've worked on, not look like a power lifter. If powerlifter IS your goal, cool, forget what I'm about to say.

However, at your size given the former, not latter goal, putting on lean mass is mostly a no brainer. (Not easy) So you've been on a weight loss diet that has apparently led to a loss in muscle and fat. Without looking at your macros I cant tell for sure but the muscle sparing signaling that's missing is more likely coming from your training than your eating.

A guy trying to bulk... on the lines of 5+ kg. is going to gain some fat while doing so. A lady like yourself, who I'm guessing wants to see more definition and maybe a bit more mass, is going to be well served by adding muscle. Remember muscle is hungry, gaining muscle will lead to some fat loss in a person your size if we're focused on performance and strength.

If I were you I'd talk to a trainer and focus on muscular contractions in your lifting routine. It's an often overlooked aspect of resistance training. We think: welp I lifted it, therefore my muscles contracted. Yes, but could you have contracted them harder, with more intention? Probably. Learning to hit those contractions hard is a great plateau killer and should help hit the signaling you need to spare/gain muscle while maintaining/losing fat.

Good luck!
    That makes so much sense, and inspiring too! I will definitely be more mindful of how I lift weights now!

Also, about the 1300 cals thing, that is my BMR and the reason I use that is because I want to input my exercise on an individual basis, rather than guessing my activity level. I say my TDEE is about 1400 because usually I burn about 100 cals in a day. USUALLY. Sometimes more sometimes less.
    So yesterday I ate back my exercise calories. And one more ! Let's hope this works.

Just a note, unless you spend all your day sitting on the couch playing video games or reading a book, you are likely not truly sedentary. More likely your actual activity level for the day it closer to lightly active. Even if you are sedentary that would make you TDEE 1560 not 1400. I am guessing if you got something like a fitbit or bodymedia fit you would find out you are burning a lot more calories than you think you are in your daily activity.
    very true! I ended up being something half way between sedentary and lightly active 1750. I add my exercise calories after because they are all over the place because I train for triathlons and like to follow it accurately on a day to day basis.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Good luck!

Huh? None of this makes any sense at all. Men and women don't train any differently, and don't have any different results. Men gaining muscle will put on some fat, women gaining muscle will put on some fat. It's how it works. You minimize fat gain by controlling the calorie surplus. Gaining too much fat is undesirable as it takes too long to diet back off, but gaining too little fat is also undesirable because you'll be short changing the amount of muscle you could be building. Also, what's a "powerlifter" look like? Why do you make it sound like it's a bad thing?

As for the muscle is "hungry" part, that's the most tired body building myth around. A pound of muscle burns 6 calories a day. You'd need to pack on 20 pounds of muscle just to burn an extra hundred calories. For a woman, that would take at least 2 years.

Please stop spreading myths.
  • BattlingMaxo
    BattlingMaxo Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Looking to meet and talk with people trying to gain! I'm looking to get into bodybuilding but I keep losing no matter how much I eat. I'm trying to keep it clean, I don't want to eat junk. Any tips would be appreciated! New here add me!

When I first started working out 2 years ago I was a bit flabby but only about 17% BF I got super ripped by eating 500 cal deficit to about 6.2 % BF but I was a bit tubular so I started a bulk I kept adding about 10% more cal keeping my macros at 40 40 20 as soon as I stopped gaining weight over a few weeks I added another 10 % increase in cals and I would measure my arms hoping to see any new muscle It took a few months before my arms started to grow, after my 18 lbs I went on another cut, my first bulk I gained about 9lbs of muscle I just started another bulk so hopefully I will get some more gains. I can tell you one thing for sure cutting out BF is easy adding Lean muscle is very hard. Good luck
  • wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Eating your BMR is not going to get you to gain muscle or fat. Eating at maintnance or at a very minimal TDEE deficit is.
    This
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Also, I didn't see anyone else mention this but you only really need about 1g / lb of bodyweight to support your muscle growth. Higher is optional and you shouldn't do anything drastic like eat 80% protein. A simple way to handle it is eat, at a minimum, 125g of protein every day. This would only be 500 calories. Then eat whatever else you like for the remainder of your calorie goal.

I don't think I'd recommend this. When eating at a surplus, you want to get your minimum of fats in (usually .3-.5g per lb bw) and fill the rest with carbs. Dietary fat is much more easily stored as adipose in a caloric surplus.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options

What exactly does a powerlifter look like?
  • franzhaydn
    Options

Huh? None of this makes any sense at all. Men and women don't train any differently, and don't have any different results. Men gaining muscle will put on some fat, women gaining muscle will put on some fat. It's how it works. You minimize fat gain by controlling the calorie surplus. Gaining too much fat is undesirable as it takes too long to diet back off, but gaining too little fat is also undesirable because you'll be short changing the amount of muscle you could be building. Also, what's a "powerlifter" look like? Why do you make it sound like it's a bad thing?

As for the muscle is "hungry" part, that's the most tired body building myth around. A pound of muscle burns 6 calories a day. You'd need to pack on 20 pounds of muscle just to burn an extra hundred calories. For a woman, that would take at least 2 years.

Sorry man, I'm going to have to go with the visual proof here and put more faith in success stories than just one counterexample.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options

Sorry man, I'm going to have to go with the visual proof here and put more faith in success stories than just one counterexample.

Actually, there was nothing said there that's not true, and nothing contradicts any of the success stories posted here :)
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options

Did you quote the wrong thing maybe bc what is quoted is actually quite true.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Actually, there was nothing said there that's not true, and nothing contradicts any of the success stories posted here :)

This.

I know its hard to tell who's who around here but I've been here awhile and can say Tigersword is actually a really knowledgeable contributor on the forums.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Visual proof? That poster claimed looking like a power lifter is a bad thing.

stacipowerlifting.jpg
    That's Staci. She's a powerlifter. She's got about a 400 pound deadlift. Is looking like her a bad thing? I called what that poster said nonsense, because it is nonsense. Whether you're a male or female, the training and results are the same. The only difference is it takes women longer to build muscle due to hormonal differences.
  • franzhaydn
    Options

stacipowerlifting.jpg
    That's Staci. She's a powerlifter. She's got about a 400 pound deadlift. Is looking like her a bad thing? I called what that poster said nonsense, because it is nonsense. Whether you're a male or female, the training and results are the same. The only difference is it takes women longer to build muscle due to hormonal differences.
    I think she looks great! But she started way more ripped than I am or less fat. Do you think it could be a little different for other people? Like, a pound of muscle?... I've never believed that they burn cals at rest but surely through all the examples I have seen, they must improve insulin sensitivity or something of the like? I don't think the other poster was speaking negatively about power lifting at all, just trying to help me:P whatever the case, I think we can agree that more muscle and less fat is generally a good goal to work towards.
  • bigslim97
    Options
    1300 calories is not nearly enough to gain muscle. Your height, weight, and bf% would be useful information, as well as your current goal.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

stacipowerlifting.jpg
    I think she looks great! But she started way more ripped than I am or less fat. Do you think it could be a little different for other people? Like, a pound of muscle?... I've never believed that they burn cals at rest but surely through all the examples I have seen, they must improve insulin sensitivity or something of the like? I don't think the other poster was speaking negatively about power lifting at all, just trying to help me:P whatever the case, I think we can agree that more muscle and less fat is generally a good goal to work towards.

you should really see where Staci started... http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Screen-Shot-2011-07-21-at-10.03.58-AM1.jpg
  • franzhaydn
    Options
    1300 calories is not nearly enough to gain muscle. Your height, weight, and bf% would be useful information, as well as your current goal.
    I realize that -_- I am trying to up my caloric intake! I've brought it up from about 800 to 1400-1500.
    I am 5'9" and I weigh 114 or 115 lbs. I've gained 2 so that's good. I don't know my body fat percentage. I'm not jiggly, that's all haha.
  • Springfield1970
    Options
    I realize that -_- I am trying to up my caloric intake! I've brought it up from about 800 to 1400-1500.
    I am 5'9" and I weigh 114 or 115 lbs. I've gained 2 so that's good. I don't know my body fat percentage. I'm not jiggly, that's all haha.

my lovely you could be eating sooo much more food, feeling firm and fabulous. Let the other direct you towards the right calculators. If you were to bulk, you'd be looking at way over 2000 calories. Your goal should be to find your maintenance levels right now, but get out of those low numbers now! others will say add on 100 or so a week, but I think you're so under, you've got the leeway and your body needs it. Calling GEEKY JOCK!!!!
  • Springfield1970
    Options

my lovely you could be eating sooo much more food, feeling firm and fabulous. Let the other direct you towards the right calculators. If you were to bulk, you'd be looking at way over 2000 calories. Your goal should be to find your maintenance levels right now, but get out of those low numbers now! others will say add on 100 or so a week, but I think you're so under, you've got the leeway and your body needs it. Calling GEEKY JOCK!!!!

ok I couldnt help it
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    i put you in as 23 years old (wasnt sure)
    You Basal Metabolic Rate (lying in bed all day doing nothing) is 1364!

You need to be eating at least this or your health is in danger.

You can then choose your exercise level and get a daily number (for maintenance -NOT muscle bulking), i put you in at moderate exercise and got back 2115 for you to maintain, or do what I do, put in sedentary and add all my daily exercise calories. I then get the lightly active rate and go somewhere between sedentary/lightly active (I'm a crazy runaround mum without a car) AND EAT ALL MY EXERCISE CALORIES BACK. I found MY maintenance by weighing daily and averaging weekly.

If I'm bulking I add 2/300 a day on that (though when I'm doing that the faster cardio gets left on the table-I don't want it interfering with my muscle building and recovery).
    I've finished my bulking, but if I want to CUT I knock off 15-20% off the figure including exercise calories

So for example
    1750 maintenance
    440 cycling
    2190 to maintain