Need to get rid of some clothes, can't decide

Options
Most of my clothes are for a thinner side of me (But not thin). My closet is just full of clothes I cannot wear. The thing is I am losing weight and cannot decide which clothes to keep. Those closets need cleaned out. Then some have emotional ties like my daughter's college tee shirt I received for supporting her team. Now I figure some will probably fit around next spring. Most are also over 10 years old.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I just went through this. Anything that is bigger than what I am wearing now went out, and is packaged up for donation. The remaining things got organized so that each area contains the same size clothes.

If I had lots of clothes like you do, I'd pack up some of the smallest so that I have room in the closet for what I'm wearing now. My closet is actually pretty bare at this time, but I think I have enough to get me through the next size or two.
  • forswearitssight
    forswearitssight Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I got rid of about half of my wardrobe a few months ago. I lost about 30lbs 3 years ago and never got rid of anything. I'm a big pack rat and I don't like to get rid of tshirts and things that I've had for a while or that have sentimental value, but I never wear them. So I just took those and put them away somewhere. Everything else got thrown in bags to be given away.
  • gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Funny you should mention cleaning out closets. I just did that a couple weeks ago. I had saved clothes I hoped to fit back into eventually. I rarely get rid of anything. I ended up getting rid of 10 nice blouses that I had been wearing until recently... way too big :) Then another 4 blouses that sorta fit, that I hadn't worn for a long time, but they looked sloppy and not flattering... so they went too. Also got rid of some jeans and pants. I still have clothes I'd like to fit into some day hanging there... but it was such a good feeling to get rid of stuff. So here's my suggestion. Obviously, you wanna save your sentimental stuff. Then try to get rid of half the stuff that doesn't fit, or even just a couple things. I left the sack with all that stuff sitting there for a while, just in case I changed my mind... but I didn't. A major step for me. I normally hate to shop. But when you lose weight there is a strong desire to indulge and go buy something new to celebrate. This kind of celebration is preferable to going out and indulging in food and drink. Good luck
  • BughaBear
    Options
    If u have clothes that r bigger and doent fit anymore I would pack them up and donate u dont need that reminder and if u do just keep one and get rid of the rest. If they r smaller clothes and u know u will get into them some day i would do what the lady said and pack them so u will have room in ur closet just keep the clothes ur usin right now in there and when they get to small start the rotation again.
  • gnastro
    gnastro Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    T shirts can be made into beautiful quilts. Clothes definitely hold memories. I just donated 4 pairs of pants to goodwill and got some new ones for my new size.
  • jgpollard
    jgpollard Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Bin the lot in celebration.
  • soze
    soze Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Some good advice in there. I decided to donate the larger clothes to Goodwill. Then anything white goes as well. Anything needing mended goes too. Cheap ties go right out the door, sorry kids. Those 10 pair of shorts in assorted bold colors go as well. Sorry mom flamboyant green is just not me yet.

The Purple Lakers jersey goes too and while I'm at it anything purple.

The suits they stay. They look good, can't wait to wear them.

As of right now I have a 3 foot stack of clothes in the living room for Goodwill and a trash bag full of hangers and worn out clothes.
  • elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Some good advice in there. I decided to donate the larger clothes to Goodwill. Then anything white goes as well. Anything needing mended goes too. Cheap ties go right out the door, sorry kids. Those 10 pair of shorts in assorted bold colors go as well. Sorry mom flamboyant green is just not me yet.

The Purple Lakers jersey goes too and while I'm at it anything purple.

The suits they stay. They look good, can't wait to wear them.

As of right now I have a 3 foot stack of clothes in the living room for Goodwill and a trash bag full of hangers and worn out clothes.

WOO HOO! Nicely done! Now I'll bet you that I can get my stuff to the Goodwill before you get yours there... That way maybe I'll even make the trip SOON! :happy:
  • MISTTIMG
    MISTTIMG Posts: 136
    Options
    I guess It's kinda a curse, but I take very good care of my clothes. I have skirts and tops that look like new that I wore in 1995, they of course don't fit me now but I really am looking forward to putting them on again. I'm just not sure of the mentality of it, I mean will it bring back good memories or just remind me I'm 15 years older!