BMR confusion

Options
So, I've tried looking this up online, but I don't really understand what BMR means. Through MFP, my BMR is said to be about 1500 calories per day. What does this mean as far as how many calories I should take in per day to lose weight? I just want to make sure I don't make my body go into starvation mode or something by eating 1300 calories a day. Thanks!

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    BMR is the amount of calories your body would need if you were in a coma.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,103 Member
    Options
    BMR is the number of calories your body needs to simply exist (keep heart beating, brain function, etc) any activity at all increases your daily calorie burn above that. Unless you are obese, it is generally recommended to not eat less than your BMR.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    BMR represents your body's calorie requirements for your basic functions. Essentially, you would "burn" those calories just existing if you were in a coma or otherwise slept all day long. Your BMR represents the majority of your body's caloric needs.
  • fiaria
    fiaria Posts: 18
    Options
    So how do I tailor my caloric intake based on my BMR? I want to lose weight but I want to be healthy about it.
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    So how do I tailor my caloric intake based on my BMR? I want to lose weight but I want to be healthy about it.

You need your TDEE. That is your BMR+the total calories you expend in a day. Two identical people might have the same BMR, but they might have different TDEE depending on who is more active.

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

So if your BMR is 1500, and you are active, you TDEE might be 2200 (this is just an example, I don't know what yours really is). So that means, if you maintained your level of activity and ate 2200 calories, you wouldn't lose or gain any weight. Take your TDEE and eat less than that, and you'll lose weight.
  • fiaria
    fiaria Posts: 18
    Options
    That really helps! Thank you :)