Sore calves???

Options
I don't get why my calf muscles get so hard and tight about 10 mins after I start to run. I stretch them out TONS before I start but they still get all crampy and tight. Anyone else????

Replies

• meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Mine do this- I've just come to think of it as part of my warm up tho- I run the first 5-10 min real easy then pick it up a bit to get through the tightness. I think it's just from a different kind of usage.
  • menjivas
    menjivas Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    You maybe running too fast too soon. Try running at a slower pace when you start and then pick it up. See how that feels.
  • tesshaney
    tesshaney Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    All the time. On friday I ran flights of stairs and my calves still hurt.
  • Dreamerlove
    Dreamerlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    You need to eat bananas before your workout. That used to happen to me, bananas cured me! gl
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    My calves and shins are really tight sometimes when I start my runs. I stretch a little before I run, run for about a minute or so and then stop and stretch again. When I start running the 2nd time, everything seems a bit looser and continues to loosen up as I keep going.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me. You just run as long as you can and then walk it out and stretch little until they loosen up and then run again. Eventually they will get used to running and not get sore anymore.
  • emersoam
    emersoam Posts: 179
    Options
    You should NOT be stretching BEFORE running! Do all of your stretching AFTER you get back from your run. You want your muscles to be really warmed up before stretching. Start out your run with 5 minutes of brisk walking and then go into a slow jog for another few minutes. And be sure you are hydrated enough (before and after running).
  • championnfl
    championnfl Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Jeswolf mentioned banana's...also drink diet Ginger Ale this provides more electrolights which helps the muscles.:wink:
  • rw4004
    rw4004 Posts: 157
    Options
    This happened to me when I added running.I stretch after warm up,during running breaks,and after,and soak in epsom salt in a bath to help soreness.