Stupid question for bro-scientists to help me with

Options
'm not new to exercise, and I've read a lot over the years, but I'm curious what others will say.

I did the full Jillian Michaels Shed and Shred video Thursday (snow day!). I was sore as heck Friday, still pretty sore Saturday, and have some residual soreness today. My question is, "Is the soreness good, and if so, how?"

I've always thought sore meant I'd done something right, but as I've been exercising pretty regularly and I have plenty of days with good workouts and no soreness, I'm starting to question that interpretation.

I hadn't done that video in a while, and I was out of practice on those moves, so I can see why I was sore even though I do cardio and lift every day. Back in the 80s, we blamed it all on lactic acid. Then, I used to hear that soreness was from tiny muscle tears. I'm more concerned about whether soreness indicates I'm moving in the right direction than knowing where it came from, although clearly the two are related.

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,224 Member
    Options
    Soreness from exercise (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) is really neither good nor bad unlike pain from injuring something. It will sometimes be there, especially if you start a new or different exercise program, but not always even if your exertion level is the same. As you do a program repeatedly, most people will find the muscle soreness will be less, and sometimes not there at all. This does not mean the workout is not effective, it is just your body getting better able to deal with things.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    looking for a broscientist? then i'm your man! how can i help?

*reads question. sighs*

oh, this is just about muscle soreness. i was hoping for something about post workout shakes or eating 25 grams of protein at precisely 2.2556 hour intervals. soreness is not a reliable indicator of an effective workout. honestly, it just means that you're sore. changing he intensity, frequency, duration, volume, or ROM of your normal workout will increase soreness, but doesn't mean that you're progressing towards any particular goal.

set your workout program around your goals and concentrate on hitting your marks. don't concern yourself with soreness (or lack thereof)
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I would answer this, but the biology degree that I spent four years in college acquiring does not allow me to fit into your intended audience.
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Soreness is good brah.

/thread
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I would answer this, but the biology degree that I spent four years in college acquiring does not allow me to fit into your intended audience.

haaaaaaaterrrrrrr
  • xoemmytee
    xoemmytee Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I thought I'd seen everything till I saw a thread requesting broscience.
  • uconnwinsnc
    Options
    hf1j8e0.jpg?1
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I'd argue that being majorly sore for 2 days is a sign that you overexercised. That's fine once in a while, but it's not a beneficial state to always be in. I'll try to dig up the study in the New England Journal of BroScience.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    For you information
    Bro science or hoscience = bullpoopoo

Science = good
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Soreness is good brah.

/thread

And no soreness is fine too. You don't have to get DOMS to get results
  • uconnwinsnc
    Options
    Soreness is good brah.

/thread

brah, if you aren't sore you ain't gettin' swollen brah mang.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    For you information

Science = good

Hoscience......omg best term I have come across in a darn long time! Nice work Yanicka :drinker:
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I refer you to this wonderful documentary that will explain it all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqpFPcx1Dus
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    in my opinion, soreness and DOMS that last for a really long time are not an indication of a good work out. in fact, they can indicate that you didn't warm up, and cool down and stretch properly.
  • lintino
    lintino Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    This thread made me laugh aloud!!! Thank you!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    For you information

Science = good

Hoscience......omg best term I have come across in a darn long time! Nice work Yanicka :drinker:

I wish it was mine but it is my friend Q that coined the term ;)
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    For you information

Science = good

I wish it was mine but it is my friend Q that coined the term ;)

Well Q is a genius for creating it and you are a genius for using it! I like you both :smile:
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Hahaha up until 2 weeks ago, I had never even heard of broscience!! Funny

In my Broscience opinion, how was your nutrition before and after such workout? I find in my case, if it was poor, my recovery is horrible. 2 weeks ago, I was on vacation, did my normal Squat routine, same weight, reps and all, but my DOMS were pretty bad, and noticed that it was the only thing different. Especially if you added that you also jumped back into the same routine you were use to!!
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Soreness is good brah.

/thread

exactly

DOMS doesn't exist eventually