Excavating the Closet: One Woman's Amazing Journey

Options
Let me preface this NSV: I am quite a clothes horse. I LOVE to shop and have plenty of options, but I slowly put on enough weight that at one point, I could literally not fit into a single thing in my closet.

Only one pair of work pants has fit me for 2-3 years now, but I have lots of skirts that fit any size so I've still been dressed well. The Polar Vortex caused drastic temperature drops even in the South to the point where I HAD to wear pants. After two days in a row, I didn't want to be wearing the same pair of pants going on a third or fourth day...so I dug back a little in my closet for some pants that still hadn't fit about a month ago. Amazingly, I fit into all three pairs of pants!

Fast forward to today. Inspired by my tiny success a few days ago, I decided to revisit some of my old clothes I had long since gotten too fat for. I pulled out a bag of pants from my closet (tags on all of them), and the pants FIT! One pair was even a size too big. Bolstered, I brought down a box of clothes I packed up several years ago. I tried on so many things, and was amazed that I am finally getting back into them. The piles stacked higher and higher on the bed, and I was elated. Moving on to a whole section off to the side in my closet, even most of THOSE were finally looking and feeling great. The totals were 10 pairs of dress pants; 6 pairs of jeans; 12 skirts; 20 tops; 2 blazers; and 5 dresses. I went "shopping" for a whole new wardrobe and didn't have to spend a dime.

Some of these items were from college, and I am ashamed at the amount that still had tags and stickers on them. I squeezed into a dress I have *never* worn before, and zipped up a dress that I wore to my HIGH SCHOOL GRADUATION 8 years ago. I rediscovered skirts from high school, brand new jeans, and a pair of short shorts I remember wearing in 9th grade.

I have lost over 20 pounds so far in my weight loss journey, surpassing any previous attempts. Some days I think that I look exactly the same, but I *know* I'm making progress by the feel in my clothes and also the scale. Now I have to rearrange my closet to fit all of my SMALLER items in, and some pieces are slowly becoming too large and being set to the side. And you know what else? I still have another box to come back to in 5 or 10 pounds :)

Replies

• retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    You've just experienced one of the many joys of dropping pounds! And it's the best motivation to continue on. Good for you!
  • Allterrain_Lady
    Allterrain_Lady Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I LOVE THIS!! You must have had a wonderful time!! Congrat's on your NSV. Clothes ones are the best!! You go girl!
  • annie61702
    annie61702 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's exciting, isn't it?! I've had to purge my closet at least 3 times now because of clothes being too big. And it's so much fun to go shopping to replace them. Congrats on your success!
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    I have different sets of clothes going all the way back to highschool and a general idea of what size/weight I will need to reach to fit back in to them. Always super motivating to realize I have gotten back in to those pants I haven't been able to wear for a few years.

On the other hand, while I can work my way back down in to pants from highschool, I will NEVER be able to fit back in to most of the dresses and tops, stupid growth spurt through rib cage and shoulders in early 20's...:grumble:
  • sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Clothing NSVs are my favourite. Love shopping in my own closet.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, what a wonderful feeling to fit into smaller clothes! Now you need to donate or throw out your too large clothes, because you are never going to wear them again! If ever your current clothes start to get a bit snug, you now know what to do!
  • trinity5703
    Options
    YEA YOU!!!!!!!!!!!
    Isnt it wonderful to discover those things you loved to wear now either fit, or are too large?

I lost probably 45 last spring. (Granted, Im back because I gained abt 12 back) and had the best time going through and donating probably 700 bucks worth of clothing that was way to big to be altered. Then I went shopping :)
  • sballgirl23
    sballgirl23 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to be able to do that. I have boxes and boxes if clothes that I cannot wear since gaining back most of the weight I lost in the past. Good job!
  • mellylq
    mellylq Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    That's so fantastic, Bob! Knowing the ups and downs you have gone through in this journey, I could not be happier for you. The night that I went to the basement and put on my 15 year old daughter's skinny jeans was a day of rejoicing...even if I looked stupid in them...lol! Now, give away, sell, or throw away those old clothes and don't look back!
  • ShannonLutmer
    ShannonLutmer Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I have just joined and am inspired by reading your article. May you continue to be blessed with determination and the satisfaction of wearing all those "new" clothes! Shannon
  • hedwardsb
    hedwardsb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Yay! So awesome!
  • GlitterrMagpie
    GlitterrMagpie Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! For me, clothes fitting again is more of a victory than anything the scale says. Enjoy your "new" wardrobe, you've earned it :smile:
  • margaretdoggett1
    margaretdoggett1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. That is my motivation.. I refuse to buy new stuff as I have plenty that I can't squeeze into.
    Get rid of the "fat clothes". If an item starts to feel tight. you know your getting off track.. Way to go!!
  • lgtijerina
    lgtijerina Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    What a great NSV, especially if you love cloths. I have had to do the same, and it is a great feeling. Keep up the good work.
  • cbumbalough
    cbumbalough Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    congratulations. I'm hoping to do the same thing. I have a closet full of stuff I can't wear or am uncomfortable in also. I'm ready to get back in those too. :)
  • glennoxyoung
    Options
    Yes!!! I've been doing this and can now fit into ALL mine. The problem now is what to do with the ones that are too big!! I love some of those clothes.............. but not the body that fitted into them!!! Well done!!
  • katinachaos
    katinachaos Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I just mentioned on my wall that a resolution this year is to keep a "What I Wore" journal so that I was sure that I was actually wearing the bajillion things in my closet. Now that you have all this "new" clothes, you should try it! I'm really enjoying the fact that I can wear things confidently that I couldn't a year ago, and with the new confidence I'm taking more risks with mixing and matching. And by putting more thought into what I wear (instead of the old me that was just interested in covering up and being comfortable), I am definitely more "put together" every day.

And while I'm excited to keep losing, I am sad to lose some of my clothes to being too big! I need to find a tailor!
  • focknfree
    focknfree Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    That's great! Congratulations! I hope to wear a lot of my pants and some shirts that I can no longer fit into since I've gained weight. It's actually cheaper to lose the weight and be able to fit the clothes that are in the closet instead of purchasing a whole new wardrobe for the bigger me.
  • MissySpring
    MissySpring Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    How fun! Congratulations on your new sizes!
  • clynn83
    clynn83 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! There's nothing like a little closet shopping to up your spirits!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!